Standard Definition

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Is DirecTV going to be eliminating all standard definition channels this year? I know there has been information about the locals being eliminated. I have an old grandfathered in subscription of NFL Sunday Ticket only with no other programming in Standard Def and wondering if it will still be around next year.
They still have that?

What happens when that goes MPEG4 only / HD only?? Free upgrade with no comment? and no need to buy any other programming?

At what time do I need to swap my SWM SL5 for a SWM RBSL3 to continue receiving ALL available channels? A RB is still needed to continue getting the channels that were on 119 before 119 gets shut down right? Or will they be moved to 101?

Pretty sure you will never need to replace your SL5 unless/until you want 4K, which will (eventually, someday) move to reverse band.

Originally they mirrored both 95 & 119 using reverse band. The 119 mirror has been moved to Ka, and I strongly believe we will see the 95 mirror moved to Ka before 95 shuts down entirely because it would cost them a lot of money (in terms of upgrading the large majority of international subscribers to a reverse band dish) otherwise.

They still have that?

What happens when that goes MPEG4 only / HD only?? Free upgrade with no comment? and no need to buy any other programming?

There can't be a whole lot of customers left on the "NFLST only" subscriptions, so they might just end it (especially since the future of NFLST on Directv, at least for residential subscribers, looks to be pretty up in the air after the 2022 season.

Pretty sure you will never need to replace your SL5 unless/until you want 4K, which will (eventually, someday) move to reverse band.

Originally they mirrored both 95 & 119 using reverse band. The 119 mirror has been moved to Ka, and I strongly believe we will see the 95 mirror moved to Ka before 95 shuts down entirely because it would cost them a lot of money (in terms of upgrading the large majority of international subscribers to a reverse band dish) otherwise.

I have all HR24's that I plan to keep until they die. I've upgraded the hard drive in one of them to a 1TB. No plans for 4K any time soon.

I have all HR24's that I plan to keep until they die. I've upgraded the hard drive in one of them to a 1TB. No plans for 4K any time soon.
Did DirecTV end up eliminating the SD channels for Sunday Ticket this year or were they still around? I ended up cancelling my service.

Did DirecTV end up eliminating the SD channels for Sunday Ticket this year or were they still around? I ended up cancelling my service.
Both hd and sd show in the guide so I assume sd is still available.

Could they have decided to keep the SD channels since they added that recent feature of the popup asking if you want to switch to SD during signal loss? Also if AT&T did sell DTV to the Churchill Group could they have requested that AT&T keep the DTV SD channels?

Could they have decided to keep the SD channels since they added that recent feature of the popup asking if you want to switch to SD during signal loss? Also if AT&T did sell DTV to the Churchill Group could they have requested that AT&T keep the DTV SD channels?
Dude

No they aren't...period.
Not everyone has mpeg4 equipment. When that day comes then your statement will have some truth to it.
I thought they've been in the process of of swapping them out for over a year now? H25's for businesses and H24's for residential...

I thought they've been in the process of of swapping them out for over a year now? H25's for businesses and H24's for residential...
I don't know when it started but yes, they have been swapping out mpeg2 for mpeg4. I'm sure they aren't done yet otherwise they would have shut off the mpeg2 signals.

Have they set a MPEG2 sunset date yet?

Originally they were going to shut it off by the end of 2019, but they apparently had some contracts with specialty customers like aviation or oil rigs that went beyond that date and were forced to rethink their plans.

Aviation would be a problem because satellite antennas on aircraft aren't cheap, and upgrading from a Ku only to KaKu antenna would be expensive or maybe not even possible in some cases. Oil rigs would be a problem because depending on how far offshore they are they might be outside of Directv's Ka satellite footprints.

When I was told this (back in summer 2019) the person who gave me the info didn't know what the new timeframe would be, but was under the impression it would be a delay of two years or so.

But I now wonder whether Directv will bother shutting off MPEG2 at all. The satellites delivering MPEG2 SD locals (D9S at 101 and D8 at 119) have plenty of life left, and they probably aren't going to save any money by doing so. In fact, it will cost them money because they'll have to upgrade the remaining SD receivers - and it will make receiving Directv in RVs more expensive probably driving some of those customers to Dish.

The only thing they gain is bandwidth, but they have tons of unused bandwidth now in reverse band. If they were starved for bandwidth they would have moved the 4K channels from Ka to reverse band already. All they would really gain is being able to allocate more bandwidth per channel and improve PQ. How many people care? The total lack of full time 4K channels and still no announcements of any coming doesn't make me think there's enough who would care enough to switch to (or stick with) Directv for better quality HD channels.

If they haven't announced any new MPEG2 SD DMAs being shut down by spring, I wouldn't hold my breath for MPEG2 SD to ever go away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts