Star Trek: Picard

I think traditional pay TV providers created a powerful sense of FOMO.

It's not just about FOMO though. It's also about ease-of-use and the services that are available where you are located.

It's a lot easier, especially for elderly people or those not technologically-inclined, to pick up a remote control, press the power button, and just scroll through a guide to pick the channel they want, in comparison to having to boot up a computer and load a website/app, or figure out how to navigate the menus of a Roku or something in order to stream a channel online.

On top of that, one of the reasons why I need satellite myself for example is because I live in a rural area. My ISP has a monthly bandwidth cap before slowing down my speed to a crawl, and I would easily break that cap by watching shows and movies in 1080p. Having satellite TV separates that usage from my typical internet activities like online gaming, so I don't need to worry about exceeding my bandwidth limit, or having my internet speed drop due to TVs in the house streaming shows at the same time I'm doing other stuff online.

I'm sure many other people are in the same boat, and until we get to a point where everyone, everywhere has access to a high-speed internet connection without any bandwidth limits, it ends up becoming really frustrating when certain companies lock their programs behind internet paywalls. It should be that people get priority access to those shows on SVOD services, but then a few months later, the shows actually end up premiering on network TV. That would make more sense.

I'm sure many other people are in the same boat, and until we get to a point where everyone, everywhere has access to a high-speed internet connection without any bandwidth limits, it ends up becoming really frustrating when certain companies lock their programs behind internet paywalls. It should be that people get priority access to those shows on SVOD services, but then a few months later, the shows actually end up premiering on network TV. That would make more sense.

I'm sure living in a rural area also limits one's access to every new release theatrical movie. How do rural folks watch the ones they missed, then? They probably rent them or buy them on disc if they can't stream them once they become available in those formats. Guess what, you can do the same with the original TV shows on the various streaming services. Probably not every single show, but certainly the most popular ones. There's nothing about them being "TV shows" as opposed to "movies" that should entitle people to watch them just a few months later for free on network TV. You wouldn't expect movie studios to do that with their blockbuster films.

Remember the song..57 channels and noting on?
I think traditional pay TV providers created a powerful sense of FOMO. By gradually adding channels to their systems over a period of four decades and promoting all the channels they carried with taglines like "You'll never miss a thing!" the TV viewing public developed this sense that they have to have access to every channel and show out there or they'll simply miss out on whatever the week's watercooler discussions happen to be about. But just like you'll never read every book in every genre released in a given month (even if you never watch TV), you'll never be able to watch even the most popular shows across the all the linear channels available in any given month.

That was the biggest reason I dropped cable: I simply couldn't justify spending $125-$150/mo. to have access to hundreds of channels I never watched. A service like YTTV, while not perfect, brings me closer to that core group of 20-30 channels "I can't live without," while giving me extra to dough to throw at an occasional month of HBO, Netflix, Hulu, etc. to catch up on the shows that particularly appeal to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

The one advantage I see to the cable-cutting is no long-term contracts tying you in to 24 or 36 months to be able to watch TV. I collected a fairly large library of shows on my DVR, but canceling my satellite service would remove my access to those programs. However, there are now subscription services available for Roku / AppleTV / Plex that supply access to those programs for a monthly fee. For Sports, OTA has some games, but then there's ESPN+ and FoxSports apps. But it does require a degree of expertise that some folks won't want to expend just to watch TV. For them, the traditional cable or satellite services are still hanging on.

So, "Star Trek: Picard" comes out, I wait until the season is almost finished, and subscribe for the one or two months required to watch it, Discovery, and bing "The Good Fight". Cost, under $12. That's like one week of Cable or Satellite.

So, "Star Trek: Picard" comes out, I wait until the season is almost finished, and subscribe for the one or two months required to watch it, Discovery, and bing "The Good Fight". Cost, under $12. That's like one week of Cable or Satellite.
Thats what I should do, IF I can wait that long ...

Chances are I'll cut one of the other ones out (probably Hulu) and pick up CBS for Picard and a few others.

I said I wouldn't get CBS AA when it came out on premise that I am already paying for CBS thru my programming package, I wouldn't pay for it again ... and I still feel that way, but may break down when Patrick Stewart comes on.

I would have been watching Discovery from Day 1 if not for it being on a separate pay channel ...

I can afford to do it...point is, I refuse to do it on the principle of it. I have Dish, Amazon Prime membership for free (usually fast) shipping, which gets me their video and music services too and Netflix. That's as far as I go... I'm not going to play the streaming service musical chair game...

I can afford to do it...point is, I refuse to do it on the principle of it. I have Dish, Amazon Prime membership for free (usually fast) shipping, which gets me their video and music services too and Netflix. That's as far as I go... I'm not going to play the streaming service musical chair game...
I agree, but I do it somewhat different ...
I have Amazon Prime (mostly for shipping), Netflix and Hulu ...
After looking at my usage, I'll possibly drop Hulu, till the show comes on I want to see ...
However, I pay for Netflix (and Hulu) by the year ... this way I don't have to resign in everytime I want to look at the shows to see whats there and sign back up if I decide I want to watch something.

It's definitely odd... and concerning... that the original actors are having mental breakdowns about reprising their roles that made them famous to begin with.

Almost gives the feeling they were coerced into coming back, as opposed to actually wanting to return willingly.

Then again, after everything else that's been going on behind the scenes with both Discovery and Picard, people getting fired, test screenings going badly, concept stolen from Fuller... not really all that surprised, to be honest.

Its called being " typecast "... they want an acting career not just a roll
It's definitely odd... and concerning... that the original actors are having mental breakdowns about reprising their roles that made them famous to begin with.

Almost gives the feeling they were coerced into coming back, as opposed to actually wanting to return willingly.

Then again, after everything else that's been going on behind the scenes with both Discovery and Picard, people getting fired, test screenings going badly, concept stolen from Fuller... not really all that surprised, to be honest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Every actor wants to be a mega star, multiple Oscar, Emmy and Tony winner, Kennedy Center honoree, etc.

I wanted to be an astronaut.

Life, does not work that way. Hollywood is full to the brim of people who were in ONE series, even a successful one, who are never seen again. Cannot get a margarine commercial.

Sci-fi series actors in general, and Star Trek actors in particular, however, have another path. They can make a good middle class or better income, between roles, appearing at the myriad of fan "cons", where they do little more than sign autographs and answer the same questions from geeky fans over and over.

Appearing on "Picard" renews their cred for this gig and gives them new material to talk about.

I think it's more like, they wern't asked back in the beginning, now many have been asked back.

In the beginning when asked about Picards former crew, it sounded as if None of them would be back.

Worf wasn't coming back unless ha had more than a 1 show appearance, with all the make up and what not he has to go thru, I can understand.
Riker I think was always going to be back, particularly seeing he's already there (directing some episodes)
Troi, I was surprised to see back, but I am glad she is, seeing Riker is back and they were married when last seen.
Data was an interesting situation, seeing he died saving Picard in the last movie, also Brent Spiner was reluctant to come back, pointing out that Data never aged, but he would have to if he comes back this time.

I haven't heard any word on Geordi or Crusher coming back yet.

I think it's more like, they wern't asked back in the beginning, now many have been asked back.
In the beginning when asked about Picards former crew, it sounded as if None of them would be back.

Right, but if I had to guess, I'd say it was because of the test screenings. If you remember, they filmed the first 5 episodes, then had the test screenings where it was something like 80% negative response, and the only 20% that actually liked the show admitted they were fans of Kurtzman's work to begin with. After that debacle, Chabon was made showrunner and I'm guessing that's when either he or someone else up the ladder started pushing the idea of getting other old cast members back to draw in viewers. If the first season is only 10 episodes long, then it makes sense why characters like Riker and Troi are only in one episode, because it was a last-minute decision made halfway through filming the whole season.

And if it were on regular television, I'd be watching it...

I'll DVR it and let you know if it's any good when it airs on SPACE. I bet it'll be at Sunday 8 pm again, same as Discovery. I swear though, if this show is TV-MA again like Discovery, with profanity and naked Klingons peeing...I'm gonna lose it. Just saying that now. :smash

Right, but if I had to guess, I'd say it was because of the test screenings. If you remember, they filmed the first 5 episodes, then had the test screenings where it was something like 80% negative response, and the only 20% that actually liked the show admitted they were fans of Kurtzman's work to begin with. After that debacle, Chabon was made showrunner and I'm guessing that's when either he or someone else up the ladder started pushing the idea of getting other old cast members back to draw in viewers. If the first season is only 10 episodes long, then it makes sense why characters like Riker and Troi are only in one episode, because it was a last-minute decision made halfway through filming the whole season.

I'll DVR it and let you know if it's any good when it airs on SPACE. I bet it'll be at Sunday 8 pm again, same as Discovery. I swear though, if this show is TV-MA again like Discovery, with profanity and naked Klingons peeing...I'm gonna lose it. Just saying that now. :smash
Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard that, but it makes perfect sense.

Also, I too would MUCH rather not have to sub to another channel to watch it ... aka, put it on a Network channel, non pay.

I have refused to sign up for CBS AA up till when Picard actually comes on.
I would have watched Discovery from the beginning had it been on Network ... I haven't watched any yet.

Klingon's peeing??? I'm thinking I'm glad I didn't see that!

Reactions: Jimbo
Klingon's peeing??? I'm thinking I'm glad I didn't see that!

Season 1, Episode 15. It's kind of hard to un-see it. Same like with the severed Klingon baby head in Season 2.

Anyways, what makes me hopeful about Picard is that Patrick Stewart is an actor with class. I don't think he would want to attach his name to a show with the kind of behavior we saw in Discovery. He's from the older generation of actors and actresses, who know and respect family-friendly entertainment. First five episodes aside, we'll see what happens, but I remain hopeful nonetheless...

Reactions: FTA4PA
Season 1, Episode 15. It's kind of hard to un-see it. Same like with the severed Klingon baby head in Season 2.

Anyways, what makes me hopeful about Picard is that Patrick Stewart is an actor with class. I don't think he would want to attach his name to a show with the kind of behavior we saw in Discovery. He's from the older generation of actors and actresses, who know and respect family-friendly entertainment. First five episodes aside, we'll see what happens, but I remain hopeful nonetheless...
Very true ...
We also Know that Sir Patrick has a say in whats in the show.