Star Trek: Prodigy

Zookster

Zookster

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 19, 2004
Here and Now
If you go into this with the expectation that it's a kids show and not the latest and greatest Star Trek U spinoff, I found it's actually quite entertaining, at least based on the first two-part episode. In some ways, I think it's less juvenile than Lower Decks, which frequently resorted to way-too-over-the-top stupid-silly situations that defied even cartoon sci-fi physics/logic.

The jury is still out on Prodigy after one episode, but the animation looked as good as anything else on TV and the setup is intriguing. It's like a mashup between the Star Wars Clone Wars animated series and the Playstation Ratchet and Clank video game series. My only complaint is the cutsey mascot-type alien pals, but it is a kids show after all.

Reactions: Foxbat
Foxbat

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
It felt more Star Wars than Star Trek, until the ship appeared. I’ll watch to see where they end up going with this.

”Lower Decks” took a sudden turn away from juvenile with the 2nd season finale. In some ways it struck me as what “The Orville” started out as, a comedy that has turned more serious and less frivolous. Part of me thinks that “Lower Decks” wouldn’t exist without “The Orville”, and “ST: Prodigy” wouldn’t without the Disney+ Star Wars animated series like Clone Wars or Rebels.

Zookster

Zookster

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 19, 2004
Here and Now
It felt more Star Wars than Star Trek, until the ship appeared. I’ll watch to see where they end up going with this.

”Lower Decks” took a sudden turn away from juvenile with the 2nd season finale. In some ways it struck me as what “The Orville” started out as, a comedy that has turned more serious and less frivolous. Part of me thinks that “Lower Decks” wouldn’t exist without “The Orville”, and “ST: Prodigy” wouldn’t without the Disney+ Star Wars animated series like Clone Wars or Rebels.
I enjoyed the second season of Lower Decks much more than the first. Only a couple really ridiculous moments stood out in the second season, like when the Cerrito's engineer turned into that giant omnipotent head idol and when that ambassador filled the entire ship by duplicating himself whenever he got nervous or upset. It's times like that I feel like I'm watching a Saturday morning kids cartoon when literally any random thing can happen at any time. And then after it happens, it's treated like any other bizarre encounter. It might be okay if I found it to be genuinely funny, like some of the crazy stuff that happens in South Park. But Lower Decks often seems like it can't decide if it wants to be totally over-the-top parody or more story and character-driven, like traditional Trek. The second season was definitely headed in the right direction.

I could never get past the trailer of the Orville to even watch the first episode, but I've since heard a lot of good things about it. Maybe I'll give it a chance if I see it on one of my streaming services.

Jimbo

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
I enjoyed the second season of Lower Decks much more than the first. Only a couple really ridiculous moments stood out in the second season, like when the Cerrito's engineer turned into that giant omnipotent head idol and when that ambassador filled the entire ship by duplicating himself whenever he got nervous or upset. It's times like that I feel like I'm watching a Saturday morning kids cartoon when literally any random thing can happen at any time. And then after it happens, it's treated like any other bizarre encounter. It might be okay if I found it to be genuinely funny, like some of the crazy stuff that happens in South Park. But Lower Decks often seems like it can't decide if it wants to be totally over-the-top parody or more story and character-driven, like traditional Trek. The second season was definitely headed in the right direction.

I could never get past the trailer of the Orville to even watch the first episode, but I've since heard a lot of good things about it. Maybe I'll give it a chance if I see it on one of my streaming services.
The Orville should be available on Hulu.

Reactions: Zookster
Foxbat

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
FYI, “Star Trek: Prodigy” is back after the holiday break.

Foxbat

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
The Orville should be available on Hulu.
Season three is debuting June 2nd now. Take a look over in the Orville thread for the four minute video from Hulu.

I’ve been enjoying “Star Trek: Prodigy”, it’s now brought in Time Travel (it wouldn’t be Star Trek without bending the Timeline, now would it?)

Reactions: Jimbo
Zookster

Zookster

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 19, 2004
Here and Now
Decent finale. In spite of some of the annoying "cadets" and immature antics, this series had some decent ST universe storytelling and great animation. My biggest issue was the appearance of a Ferengi in one of the episodes, who apparently had been in the Delta Quadrant for a while. I Googled it and there is one Voyager episode that involved two Ferengi who had arrived and returned (at the end of the episode) through an unstable wormhole, that immediately closed. Of course the cadets wouldn't know anything about that, but the Janeway hologram seemed totally non-plussed about the appearance of an Alpha quadrant species.

Jimbo

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Decent finale. In spite of some of the annoying "cadets" and immature antics, this series had some decent ST universe storytelling and great animation. My biggest issue was the appearance of a Ferengi in one of the episodes, who apparently had been in the Delta Quadrant for a while. I Googled it and there is one Voyager episode that involved two Ferengi who had arrived and returned (at the end of the episode) through an unstable wormhole, that immediately closed. Of course the cadets wouldn't know anything about that, but the Janeway hologram seemed totally non-plussed about the appearance of an Alpha quadrant species.
I remember bit and pieces of that episode with the Ferengi and Voyager, I think Kim was about to buy something from them at a post and Paris stopped him at the last moment, telling him that what he was buying was Fake. Typical Ferengi.

Bruce

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Supporting Founder
Nov 29, 2003
I remember bit and pieces of that episode with the Ferengi and Voyager, I think Kim was about to buy something from them at a post and Paris stopped him at the last moment, telling him that what he was buying was Fake. Typical Ferengi.
That happened in the first episode with Quark when Voyager was at DS9, the episode with the Ferengi was ST:Voy Season 3 EP 5-