Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This is a minor beef, unrelated to the episode...why can't they have a more musical intro to these shows? The voice-over with Pike (or Spike) is a nice touch, but like Discovery and Picard, SNW just has a overbearing beat and some touches of the TOS theme. Discovery, overly heavy bass beat and no melody to speak of. Same with Picard. I think of TNG, DS9 and Voyager (especially the latter two) which had really great melodic intros...
That's what the "Skip Intro" button is for. They know most people use it, so why even try anymore?

Reactions: Derwin0
1655149210267.png

That's what the "Skip Intro" button is for. They know most people use it, so why even try anymore?
If the intro were enjoyable, or at least even somewhat memorable, I wouldn't be impelled to skip the intro. If they're going to bother to even MAKE an intro, one would they could put some $ into the music as well as the CGI...

Reactions: Zookster
This week was a good episode. I watched this morning. Capt. Angel turns out to be played by the transexual actor who played a trans character off of Big Skies from ABC. A very Good performance . Oh and Pike starts out with a wave of hair standing 6 inches tall , but doesn't end up with it that way once the Pirates show up.:laser

Under the mesh, she is a he.
More correctly, Jesse James Keitel was designated male at birth. From GLAAD Media Reference Guide:

How to describe the fact that someone is transgender. Transgender should always be used as an adjective. For example, "Marisol is a transgender woman." If your audience needs clarification about what that phrase means, you can explain that "Marisol was designated male at birth, and began her transition 15 years ago." Avoid "Marisol was born a man." People are born babies and a doctor assigns a sex to an infant based on a quick look at the baby's external anatomy. A transgender person's gender identity is not determined by the sex they were assigned at birth. An oversimplification like "born a man" invalidates the current, authentic gender of the person you're speaking about and is considered disrespectful.

More correctly, Jesse James Keitel was designated male at birth. From GLAAD Media Reference Guide:

How to describe the fact that someone is transgender. Transgender should always be used as an adjective. For example, "Marisol is a transgender woman." If your audience needs clarification about what that phrase means, you can explain that "Marisol was designated male at birth, and began her transition 15 years ago." Avoid "Marisol was born a man." People are born babies and a doctor assigns a sex to an infant based on a quick look at the baby's external anatomy. A transgender person's gender identity is not determined by the sex they were assigned at birth. An oversimplification like "born a man" invalidates the current, authentic gender of the person you're speaking about and is considered disrespectful.
Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: Zookster
IN my day they were called transsexuals. I wasn't hip to what they want to be called now. But yes, she was born a male and after the surgery and hormones he is now a she. More power to her.
In my day, transsexuals were surgically altered. I have a relative who is a transsexual (surgically and hormoneally).

According to Merriam-Webster, the term "transgender" was first used in 1974. The German term for transsexualism, transsexualismus, was first used in 1923 to describe a physiological change in sex.

Merriam-Webster also notes that transsexual doesn't necessarily mean physical alteration. I think the distinction is useful.

In any case, what makes you think that surgery and/or hormones were involved?