Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Doesn't look like Rebecca will have any future conflicts with New Love Boat since it tanked it's premiere.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Given that Hemmer died, it would be odd (though not entirely out of the question) to resurrect him. A ship needs an engineer.
I didn't forget that! I only forgot that rockymnthigh already posed about his replacement: Carol Kane.

I was very sorry to see Hemmer die, because he was an interesting character. You may recall that, at the time, I speculated that they should have just put him in the medical transporter buffer while they figured out how to remove the Gorn from his body. Others suggested that the other ship (forget it's name) didn't have a functional transporter.

I'm sure Hemmer's pattern is in the buffer and I'm sure Dr. M'Benga could supply Hemmer's DNA info. Had they wanted to keep Hemmer, they would've found a "Star Trek" solution to do so...
I don't recall where cloning from the pattern buffer happened (if ever) in the Star Trek timeline. Cloning has been discussed but as I recall, only in the conventional sense of using a tissue sample and growing a clone from an egg.

The magic surrounding the doctor's daughter in the pattern buffer came at the hands of the boy king curing her ailment, not cloning.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I don't recall where cloning from the pattern buffer happened (if ever) in the Star Trek timeline. Cloning has been discussed but as I recall, only in the conventional sense of using a tissue sample and growing a clone from an egg.
I don't either. Wait a minute... Wasn't Riker cloned and lived on as two people for multiple episodes?

There was the Similitude episode of STE which I disliked:
Doctor Phlox suggests a radical and controversial procedure to save him: growing a mimetic symbiote as a neurological donor.
I guess we were supposed to be uncomfortable with the outcome.

Now, as far as the transporter is concerned, there were plenty of examples where bad stuff was filtered out and fatal medical conditions reversed. If they had been able to store Hemmer in a pattern buffer, they could do so for months while they upgraded their filters to include Gorn material. Problem solved.

Reactions: long_time_DNC
I don't either. Wait a minute... Wasn't Riker cloned and lived on as two people for multiple episodes?
Yes, and the clone "Tom Riker" (though I'd make the case the main Riker was really the clone) showed up later on DS9.

Lower Decks did an episode where one of the main characters got cloned the same way.

There was the Similitude episode of STE which I disliked:
I had forgotten about Sim but he was a grown clone that would live only a couple of weeks.
Now, as far as the transporter is concerned, there were plenty of examples where bad stuff was filtered out and fatal medical conditions reversed. If they had been able to store Hemmer in a pattern buffer, they could do so for months while they upgraded their filters to include Gorn material. Problem solved.
The "material" in question was Gorn eggs delivered in venom and surely there's a distinction between filtering out pathogens and filtering out complex lifeforms or symbiotes. Saving a pattern for future treatment involves either a significant passage of time or an advanced medical technology that appears out of the blue (but won't be shared). IIRC, Hemmer was refusing treatment.

If transporter patterns were the answer, they would have maintained patterns for all key Starfleet personnel.

Keep the timeline in mind as well:

Enterprise -> Disco seasons 1&2 -> SNW -> TOS -> NG -> DS9 -> Voyager -> Lower Decks -> Prodigy -> Picard -> Disco season 3+ (900 years into their season 2 future).

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Enterprise -> Disco seasons 1&2 -> SNW -> TOS -> NG -> DS9 -> Voyager -> Lower Decks -> Prodigy -> Picard -> Disco season 3+ (900 years into their season 2 future).
Good review of the series timelines. And it only goes to show that the transporter pattern buffer was available early in SNW, which is what we're talking about. But apparently it degraded over time and was therefore not as advanced as Scotty had in STNG. How many years did he store himself in there?

IMHO a Gorn egg or larvae should be easy to spot being macroscopic, as opposed to viruses which are tiny. Didn't this tech supposedly go all the way down to the genetic level?