StarChoice setup in Houston, TX

Hankster

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Is there anyone in or near Houston, TX that has set up Starchoice successfully? If so, please PM me.

Thanks,

Hankster

I've just gotten some contact from the fellow with global and it looks like it'd be about $460.00 up front to get started on star choice (75cm dish, GSR-315 receiver, shipping, preauthorization, 1st annual fee to TVM and 1st month's subscription to digital favorites), but I'd have to install the booger myself, aim it and so forth. I'm going to to my site survey this week to make sure I can get a clear path to the satellite. It would just be easier if someone who lived in Houston had already done this for StarChoice and could help a fellow out...

I have for Houston for 107.3 W (F1) settings as

205.67 AZ
52.04 EL

And a Magnetic declination of 4.1 to 4.4 degrees East (I presume that means I need to adjust the Azimut to 201.57 to 201.27 degrees, mainly South Southwest direction)

I saw that HD receiver.... I didn't realize it worked with non-HD sets. That's some good info since it comes with a DVR...

you might want to stay away from the 530..I heard there are some bugs with it

the 505 doesnt have a PVR/DVR in it but that one works good

There are no issues with Star Choice Navigo based receivers - ie) models in the 200, 300, and 400 series. Some pre Navigo 400 series receivers (eg. early 410s, 421s) require a tone generator for dual satellite operation.

All issues with 500 series products are ALL Motorola firmware issues. There are no known hardware issues.

Thats what Ive used for the last year

nice little unit....has svideo & dolby 5.1 outputs
2 sets of AV outputs
guide isnt that bad....better than the 205 :)

Good info to know. UGH! I'm still trying to pursuade the boss (read WIFE) to let me get this. She' still thinking about it though, but tentatively said I'd have to get the money for the equipment and initial costs myself, NO CREDIT CARD USAGE, I can use a checkcard though and pay for it that way in an ongoing fashion. I may be selling some of my old comic books, action figures, coins and other collectibles to get the equipment and such, but I think it will be worth it.

Satellite Expert said:
Star Choice elliptical dishes are aimed at Anik F2 (111.1) - which is just a tad to the right of where DirecTV elliptical dishes are aimed (110.0)

Many posters here have purchased from Kusat
http://www.kusat.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=18

Also for the slight difference in price right now, many have opted for the 505 HD receiver (which works with non HD sets)

Based upon the Anik F2's footprint, it looks like it won't work well in Houston so I'd probably have to track to Anik F1. Once again, anyone who has StarChoice down this far south who's sucessfully set up please message me or post here.

Also, I've seen references to a "Weatherboot-not included" on the StarChoice dish, connector or LNB. What is this and where would I get it?

Thanks,

Hankster

You will have no problems in Houston with reception of F1R and F2 using the 75-E (75 cm elliptical antenna) and Quad LNBF. There is a weather boot
included in the box with the Quad LNBF, as standard equipment.
We have many customers in the southern U.S., and no complaints about reception of either satellite once the antenna is properly aligned.

Thanks, Mike! You and Iceberg have been great at answering all of my questions, even the "stupid" ones. I'm getting stuff together now and hope to be doing business with you in January.

Hankster

Hankster said:
Based upon the Anik F2's footprint, it looks like it won't work well in Houston so I'd probably have to track to Anik F1. Once again, anyone who has StarChoice down this far south who's sucessfully set up please message me or post here.

Also, I've seen references to a "Weatherboot-not included" on the StarChoice dish, connector or LNB. What is this and where would I get it?

Thanks,

Hankster

You can get Starchoice in Mexico City with a 1 Meter Dish so I don't understand why you don't think you cannot get it in Houston.

Assuming that you are in Mexico City, what are current signal strength levels on Anik F1R, as compared to Anik F2? This can be checked by tuning to
Star Choice channels 298 and 299, and pressing Options 6 0 5 right right,
to access diagnostics C. Last column on the right, second row down, should give you a carrier to noise reading in dB.

with my problems with directv, maybe this starchoice thing would be a good option for me in Cabo San Lucas? Can you get the signal here?

Drop me a PM and I will explain Star Choice to you.
Otherwise, look at the CANADIAN SOLUTION section of the
Global website for loads of information on pointing angles, antenna sizes and programming packages.

Mike

Given the price difference between the DSR315 and the DSR505.. I would take the 505..

It has a much nicer and faster menu/guide and already has the HD outputs.. you will also gain all of the HD channels at no cost to you, which will work on a standard def tv as well.

I personally have a DSR-505 connected to my 47" HDTV, and a DSR-500 connected to a 13" tv in my bedroom. They both have the same menu, and are wonderous little receivers.

If you are trying to align a system from scratch, it would be extremely useful to have an already-subscribed DSR-315 available, because it responds much better to the remote control, making initial finding of the signal much easier.
While the DSR-505 is a great receiver once the system is installed, I would not recommend a novice trying to put in a system with that alone, because the quirkiness of remote control commands will frustrate you in short order.

Since Star Choice will authorize a second receiver for 5 bucks a month, why not buy a DSR-505 and DSR-315, using the 315 as both your initial alignment device as well as a spare set for a second room? Very cost effective, and improves the chances of success with a self-install. Unless you have a technician available with accurate metering and/or a spectrum analyzer, the HD receivers are simply not friendly to use for initial alignment.

Good luck!

Mike is DA MAN!

I will be buying the DSR-315, preauthorized for SC from him, once I've got my money together...

BEV Installation help in So Cal

Starchoice new HD channels.. When?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)