Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The following I just received from Dish Network in regards to the complaints from many who were not able to enjoy the HBO Free Preview weekend because they were subscribers to Dish Networks Family Package.

“When DISH Network launched its DishFAMILY programming package in February, we pledged to bring the best family-friendly programming available. We have pre-screened the 40 channels in our DishFAMILY package to ensure the content is appropriate for all ages, and have developed stringent guidelines on eligible programming available to DishFAMILY customers. As a result, it is not necessary for many customers subscribing to this package to set up parental locks and controls that would ensure content transmitted in a Free Preview is screened appropriately. Consequently, previews of various channels may be unavailable if those channels carry mature content. We regret any confusion we may have caused regarding access to free previews for our DishFAMILY customers. We will work to prevent future confusion and will continue to explore alternative solutions to address customer concerns. We look forward to continuing to provide great family television.”

We will work to prevent future confusion and will continue to explore alternative solutions to address customer concerns.
That means that in the future, they'll make it clear that people who subscribe to the Family Tier won't be getting the free preview weekend. They'll do this in their ads, their website, press release, and so on.

Sorry to whoever bitched about this. If you are getting the family tier for "family" reasons vs the lower monthly rate, why would HBO be of interest to you ?? People are just mad that they didn't get "free" HBO...

I am as much for the little guy as the next but this statement should not have needed published. If you subscribe to Dish Family you have basically said you do want the content provided by the premium channels or you are too cheap to pay for it. Dish was right in not offering their free preview to Dish Family subscribers.

AlaJoe said:
I am as much for the little guy as the next but this statement should not have needed published. If you subscribe to Dish Family you have basically said you do want the content provided by the premium channels or you are too cheap to pay for it. Dish was right in not offering their free preview to Dish Family subscribers.

I sort of agree with you but from another viewpoint. If you sub to the family pax, you are saying that you do't want premium channels that might offend some inthe family. The sub made the decision. If I were Dish I would have done the same. If they had turned on HBO etc, then you would have watched the sh*t fly with complaints also.

Seems to me the only way is for the sub to take some kind of action via computer or calling a special number that turns on the preview for him.

They should make the free previews "Opt Out" for Family package subscribers.

When you sign up they should ask you if you would like to have access to the premium free channel previews Dish Network offers as a courtesy to its customers from time to time.

But that would make WAY too much sense. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
They should make the free previews "Opt Out" for Family package subscribers.

When you sign up they should ask you if you would like to have access to the premium free channel previews Dish Network offers as a courtesy to its customers from time to time.

But that would make WAY too much sense. :D

I do not know what the logistic would have been to doing that but assuming it would be very easy you would be correct but keep in mind these people by signing up for Dish Family have said they either do not want the content or do not want to pay for it.

So, Dish would have likely gained very few additional subscribers to the premiums by offering them for a weekend for free to these people. Now try to balance that revenue with the cost of one lawsuit that I can guarantee you would have occurred had they broadcast the free preview to Dish Family subscribers. I guarantee at least one mother would have walked into her ten year olds bedroom and found him watching something showing boobies and ended up filing a lawsuit against Dish because they were not supposed to have access to that type of material

Dish made the correct call here.

Scott I would say it should be a "Opt In" type set up if the customer wants it. This way the customers has to make the effort to get something is not family orientated. As they said "We have pre-screened the 40 channels in our DishFAMILY package to ensure the content is appropriate for all ages". That is what I had understood from the start.

I can't believe people were bitching about his free preview of programming that isn't oriented toward the family, but I guess that is today world. People have to always bitch about something and to me that is the real problem. Maybe they should start a lawsuit against DISH for discrimination against people with "DISHFamily".

Last edited:
DISH (as well as all other providers) should make it clear, that "family friendly" means families with children less than 13 years old (G and PG, not PG13 or above). HBO and/or the other "premium" movie channels don't make the cut, but then again, I've seen some programming on ABC Family that I wouldn't have thought a family channel would show.:confused:
Pat Robertson is probably rolling over in his grave (of money)...oops!, sorry, he's not deceased yet! :D

skinnyJM said:
DISH (as well as all other providers) should make it clear, that "family friendly" means families with children less than 13 years old (G and PG, not PG13 or above). HBO and/or the other "premium" movie channels don't make the cut, but then again, I've seen some programming on ABC Family that I wouldn't have thought a family channel would show.:confused:
Pat Robertson is probably rolling over in his grave (of money)...oops!, sorry, he's not deceased yet! :D

Neither Dish nor DirecTV carry ABC "Family" in their family packages.

“When DISH Network launched its DishFAMILY programming package in February, we pledged to bring the best family-friendly programming available. We have pre-screened the 40 channels in our DishFAMILY package to ensure the content is appropriate for all ages, and have developed stringent guidelines on eligible programming available to DishFAMILY customers. As a result, it is not necessary for many customers subscribing to this package to set up parental locks and controls that would ensure content transmitted in a Free Preview is screened appropriately. Consequently, previews of various channels may be unavailable if those channels carry mature content. We regret any confusion we may have caused regarding access to free previews for our DishFAMILY customers. We will work to prevent future confusion and will continue to explore alternative solutions to address customer concerns. We look forward to continuing to provide great family television.”

Yeah, right. It has nothing to do with parental locks.

I was not eligible for the free preview because "I did not subscribe to any of their basic programming packages". I pay only for HD and Voom packs which is, with the programming access fee, 20.99 (which is $1.00 more than Family Pack).

I read their statement this way: "if you don't spend more than $30.00 a month on Dish Network then you don't get anything for free".

Again when you sub to the family pax...you are wanting assurance that no member of your familily will ever be exposed to boobies or adult language of any type. Dish is prividing the security that the kids can turn to any channel and the parents know that the content is safe. If I was a family pax sub and had young kids. If I walked into their rooma nd saw them watching someting they shouldn't, I would be pissed at DISH for false advertising. I would have sued. I sub to one of the full packs becaused all my kids are now adults.

I may be critical of DISH on many things but on this issue they got it dead right.

Last edited:
Conjuror said:

I was not eligible for the free preview because "I did not subscribe to any of their basic programming packages". I pay only for HD and Voom packs which is, with the programming access fee, 20.99 (which is $1.00 more than Family Pack).

I read their statement this way: "if you don't spend more than $30.00 a month on Dish Network then you don't get anything for free".

cheese, meet whine!

I dunno... I have to side with Dish on this one partially... they market this as the Dish Family Plan (probably for the mormons to have pay tv... he he), maybe they should market the Dish Family Plan, Dish *El Cheap-O* Plan (not that I justify their expensive rates) and Dish's I have no other choice Plan... bottom line is the Family Plan needs to be strict as far as content, so don't blame them, can you imagine this article... "I subbed to Disn Netowork's Family Plan and the other night I was flipping through the channels and I noticed HBO was showing... and I saw this *Real Sex Show*...

Lighten up a bit!

Conjuror said:

Not true because Dish Latino subs qualify for the free HBO/Cinemax preview and Dish Latino starts at $24.99. Not true if you also subscribe to HD and Voom like you do, along with South Asian Mega Pack which is one of the most expensive international packages out there at $54.99. If you were one of those customers, your monthly bill would've come out to around $75.97 plus additional receiver fees.

They made HBO/Cinemax free in preview for qualifying packages (AT60 and higher, Dish Latino and higher, and Great Wall), but not for DISH Family. And I applaud them for not including HBO/Cinemax to Dish Family subs because of the purpose and intent of Dish Family but they should've done a much better job of explaining why and disclosing up front on who'd get the free preview. I think they learned their lesson for the Showtime free preview coming up soon. Well, I hope so for their sake, at least.

skinnyJM said:
...but then again, I've seen some programming on ABC Family that I wouldn't have thought a family channel would show.:confused:

I, too, am surprised by ABC Family at times. They just aired The Cutting Edge 2, (which was a terrible rehash of an otherwise good movie), and some of the themes I thought were a little out of bounds for what I'd expect from a Family channel.

I side with Dish for this decision. They were in a Catch-22, if they had aired the free preview and some questionable content had been seen by the wrong person, they'd be fighting a different battle right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)