Statement from DISH - Not Getting the New HD?

I have my 110/119 & 61.5 change to Eastern arch and he changed 508 for a 612 for $100, but I got to keep both old dishes and DP44 switch. The readings sat 77 are around 20 which we know is a problem for Maine .

To recap my problem, I have hybrid setup (110/119 with 61.5 wing). Well a couple months ago, I had techs out on 3 different occasions. All confirmed no LOS for 129, so WA is out. None of them were willing to install a 1000.4 in the current location of my DISH 500 wing which is pointed at 61.5. They confirmed good signal strength with 61.5 and even re-aimed the wing dish to 72.7 with good results. So the only thing missing was 77, but no one was willing to try.

Bottom line, I was told I could do a pole mount 1000.4, and the location is about 130' from the receivers (I was told 200' is the limit). I'll have to cut down 3 small trees but nothing major.

This is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I haven't dug the trench yet. I'm not 100% sure where the pole will be, so I don't want to dig a trench and cut down trees until the tech tells me where. I explained this to the CSR, and she said she'd put a note on the work order indicating the customer was told to wait.

The tree cutting will be simple (10 minutes max), but will the tech likely say, "you need a trench here, when it's done, call us and we'll come back"? Or will he likely just lay the line on the ground trusting I'll complete the burial later?

I also told the CSR to note that I'll need them to bring direct-bury coax. She noted it and confirmed there would be no charge for this work order.

Hi,

I live in Fall River, Mass.,which is Southeast of Boston.
I currently have the America's Top 200 plan, along with the corresponding HD channels and HD Platinum. I'm missing about half the channels in the Platinum package including Epix 1&2, Indieplex, Retroplex, and more.
I currently have the dish pointing to satellites 61.5, 118, 119, 110.
When I called Dish CSR and asked about the missing channels I was told it was because the Dish is directed at the Eastern Arc and the channels are only available in the Western arc therefore I wouldn't be able to get those channels.
Is this correct? Can the dish be pointed toward the Western arc to get those missing Plantinum HD channels and if so, would I lose other channels instead? If so, which ones?

Thanks in advance for any help I may receive.;

Dave

Videomax said:
I currently have the dish pointing to satellites 61.5, 118, 119, 110.
When I called Dish CSR and asked about the missing channels I was told it was because the Dish is directed at the Eastern Arc and the channels are only available in the Western arc therefore I wouldn't be able to get those channels.
Is this correct? Dave

Not quite. But you need to be on EA or WA with a second dish for 118. You have a hybrid setup which will no longer get you all channels.

I'm apparently missing something about the 1000.4 dish. I thought I read somewhere on here that it has a built-in switch negating the need for a DPP44. So, do 3 coax's (for 61.5, 72.7, and 77) come directly from the dish all the way into the house? That can't be right, how do you make them go to two separate dual-tuner receivers?

Or are there only two coax's coming from the dish?

Sorry for the dumb question.

I have a 1000.4. I feed one coax each to a separator on two ViP722 HD DVRs, and a third coax to a (now removed) 508. Might put in another ViP there some day. Three cables out from dish. Simple.

Only dumb question is the one unasked.

I have a 1000.4. I feed one coax each to a separator on two ViP722 HD DVRs, and a third coax to a (now removed) 508. Might put in another ViP there some day. Three cables out from dish. Simple...

I think this answers my question. Once the coax leaves the dish, it is ready to plug directly into the back of a receiver (and if the receiver is a dual tuner, it'll go to a separator).

How many receivers will this accommodate before needing to add an external switch?

Will those in the Eastern arc eventually be able to get all the Platinum HD channels?

Eastern arc already gets all the HD channels. Eastern arc looks at the 61.5, 72.7 and 77 satellites. The HD is on 72.7. Western arc looks at the 110, 119, and 129 satellites. HD is on 129. It looks like your locals for Boston are on the 61.5 satellite so you should be on the eastern arc using a 1000.4 dish which looks at all the proper satellites.

i think an important fact that a lot of folks (and even the techs who visit them) dont realize is that there are a LOT of subs who dont need los to 77 . unless your locals come off 77 you dont need it, same goes for 61.5. all sub channels are on 72.7.

Eastern arc already gets all the HD channels. Eastern arc looks at the 61.5, 72.7 and 77 satellites. The HD is on 72.7. Western arc looks at the 110, 119, and 129 satellites. HD is on 129. It looks like your locals for Boston are on the 61.5 satellite so you should be on the eastern arc using a 1000.4 dish which looks at all the proper satellites.

Right now, I have 2 Dishes hooked up:A Super Dish, and a Dish Network 500.
Would I need another dish, the 1000.4 dish I've read about in order to get the missing Platinum HD channels(Epix, Retroplex, etc.) or would the exisiting dishes I have now need to be repointed?

Thanks again,
Dave

You could repoint to 61.5 & 72.7 and probably be happy. Some have success using a 500 for these two sats. Not sure if a super dish is useful for this.

I believe 61.5 still carries HD also.

120inna55 said:
How many receivers will this accommodate before needing to add an external switch?

IIRC the 1000.4 has 3 outputs and one connector to hook up another dish- say, for 118.

Right now, I have 2 Dishes hooked up:A Super Dish, and a Dish Network 500.
Would I need another dish, the 1000.4 dish I've read about in order to get the missing Platinum HD channels(Epix, Retroplex, etc.) or would the exisiting dishes I have now need to be repointed?

Thanks again,
Dave

it really depends. but you do need a visit from dish.

it really depends. but you do need a visit from dish.

I shot off a letter to their tech support department detailing the problem. The 5 or 6 channels I'm not getting are the best ones for film fans and if I can't get those then I'll get rid of the Platinum HD package.

Thanks,
Dave

To recap my problem, I have hybrid setup (110/119 with 61.5 wing). Well a couple months ago, I had techs out on 3 different occasions. All confirmed no LOS for 129, so WA is out. None of them were willing to install a 1000.4 in the current location of my DISH 500 wing which is pointed at 61.5. They confirmed good signal strength with 61.5 and even re-aimed the wing dish to 72.7 with good results. So the only thing missing was 77, but no one was willing to try.

Bottom line, I was told I could do a pole mount 1000.4, and the location is about 130' from the receivers (I was told 200' is the limit). I'll have to cut down 3 small trees but nothing major.

This is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I haven't dug the trench yet. I'm not 100% sure where the pole will be, so I don't want to dig a trench and cut down trees until the tech tells me where. I explained this to the CSR, and she said she'd put a note on the work order indicating the customer was told to wait.

The tree cutting will be simple (10 minutes max), but will the tech likely say, "you need a trench here, when it's done, call us and we'll come back"? Or will he likely just lay the line on the ground trusting I'll complete the burial later?

I also told the CSR to note that I'll need them to bring direct-bury coax. She noted it and confirmed there would be no charge for this work order.

The tech (very professional) came out at 0730 this morning. About 10 before he got here, he called asking, "What exactly is it you're needing done? All my work order says is 'service change, pole mount'." When I told him it was a 1000.4, he said, "Man, I sure wish they'd told me that. I don't have that dish with me." He came on out and had a look at the situation. I suspect he was hoping he could get by with a 1000.2 WA, but he soon realized it was impossible. After looking at the proposed site for the pole mount, he confirmed what the last tech said, except he thought the only trees I'd need to take out were two small ones where the last tech was thinking up to 5 large ones.

He said he had no problem laying the coax on top of the ground leaving it up to me to bury later.

He called his supervisor and was instructed to come back to the main office in Mesquite to pick up a 1000.4 dish. (The tech came from his home which is only about 18 miles away from my home, but his "main office" is a 3-hour round trip. He couldn't believe his boss was requiring this of him. I would have been fine with a reschedule, since I currently have TV, I just don't have the new HD channels.

I'm going to go ahead and cut down the two trees in question while I wait for him to get back. Sheesh...

Still waiting for the installer...

I reviewed the channel list and realized by choosing EA over WA, I'll lose my SD locals (channels 8400-8404). Not a big deal since I never tune to them anyway (what would be the point since I have HD locals which are 6383-6387). My HD locals are on 61.5. I just wanted to throw that out there for anyone in East Texas faced with the same decision. In my case, I had no choice since I have no LOS for 129 and by the looks of the trees, I'll probably be losing 119 soon. I sure hope nothing goes wrong with the EA install.

This may be a silly question, but there shouldn't be a problem still being "allowed" to have my HD locals despite the absence of the SD's, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)