Steroids vs Pete Rose

Pete Rose is just a douche, which makes it look worse. It's easier to focus on his actions since there are so many people cheating. Pete Rose is a case of gambling that cost him all sorts of stuff. The cheating going on now has tarnished an entire era of Baseball. The stigma of cheating will last so much longer than the actions of one man gambling.

Wow, How quickly we forget. Pete trashed people who accused him of doing it. He trashed the commissioner of baseball. And Rose lied about it for years. In a December 2002 interview, investigator Dowd stated that he believed that Rose may have bet against the Reds while managing them. It was only when Pete was trying to sell a book that he finally admitted publicly to betting on baseball games . Many believe that any chance he had to make it to the Hall Of Fame were closed after this. Rose thought because he told the truth is his book it would have the opposite effect.

And he bet while playing and also while a Manager of the Reds. Rose said so in his book.

IF he did BET WHILE a player-manager...then YES, I agree...he should be banned for life. But I do not remember hearing he bet while he was a player-manager....Whether he trashed anyone on whether he bet or not means nothing to what he has accomplished AS A PLAYER.

Pete Rose did bet on baseball while he was a manager. Sorry, but the record book is the only place for his accomplishments. He knew better, but like many pro athletes, his arrogance knew no boundaries.

The steroid users and the HOF are another issue. I'm guessing a lot of those players won't see the "Hall" either, except to visit.

Sorry I can't agree with you. Records have been broken by cheating, plain and simple. Rose never bet against his team, plus he did this after his playing days. I know managers have a lot of control over a game, but if you always bet on your team to win then that is another thing. Don't get me wrong, he should still be banned for life, but allow him to be voted on for the HOF.

:up:up:up

IF he did BET WHILE a player-manager...then YES, I agree...he should be banned for life. But I do not remember hearing he bet while he was a player-manager....Whether he trashed anyone on whether he bet or not means nothing to what he has accomplished AS A PLAYER.
He bet on games as a player.
He bet on games as a Manager as well.

And from what I heard he still gambles. It's a sickness for some . Pete is really sick.

Maybe I just don't understand baseball enough, Steroids should be exponentially more serious than gambling. And that should be the title, Gambling vs Steroids, Pete Rose is just the poster boy, the example, for the former.

And a liar too. He didn't admit to this until it benefited him financially.

Yup. And don't forget , He was also a tax cheat . Now he wasn't the only one . In fact , The IRS sent out notices to many pro athletes that if they signed autographs etc., they had to pay taxes on it. Some were going to shows and making big bucks signing autographs and not claiming the money. Some pretty big names too!! Pete was one of them. He served 5 months for that.

And a liar too. He didn't admit to this until it benefited him financially.

Kinda like everyone busted for doing steroids. Nobody in MLB does steroids till they're busted. Then you have a well polished lawyer drafted statements and evocations of the fifth amendment to protect themselves from self incrimination before Congress.

Yup. And don't forget , He was also a tax cheat . Now he wasn't the only one . In fact , The IRS sent out notices to many pro athletes that if they signed autographs etc., they had to pay taxes on it. Some were going to shows and making big bucks signing autographs and not claiming the money. Some pretty big names too!! Pete was one of them. He served 5 months for that.

The question was about the Hall of Fame, not what kind of morals Rose has.

What Rose did between lines should, IMO, have him in the HOF. Keep the cheaters out!

The question was about the Hall of Fame, not what kind of morals Rose has.

What Rose did between lines should, IMO, have him in the HOF. Keep the cheaters out!
I agree with that. And that's why MLB banned him. The truth is they don't know how long he bet on the games. Nobody knows. They only found a paper trail going back a few years. Like it or not it looks like Rose might have effected games with his gambling problem.

I agree with that. And that's why MLB banned him. The truth is they don't know how long he bet on the games. Nobody knows. They only found a paper trail going back a few years.

But what you don't understand is that he would have still been eligible for the HOF if not for Selig's changing the rules.

Kinda like everyone busted for doing steroids. Nobody in MLB does steroids till they're busted. Then you have a well polished lawyer drafted statements and evocations of the fifth amendment to protect themselves from self incrimination before Congress.

So true. If I had a vote for the HOF, Pete Rose and all known steroid users wouldn't even get a whiff of recognition from me. Both have diminished the game in my eyes.

I don't understand the correlation between Pete Rose and steroid users when it comes to the HOF, it's apples and oranges.

The HOF is about what you accomplished on the field. Pete Rose is the all time hits leader, and he did it CLEAN. He gambled on baseball, and he was justly punished for that. But what does that have to do with his HOF credentials? :confused:

These steroid cheats affected games they were playing in.

Ramy said best: Keep Rose out of baseball, but he belongs in the Hall.

Seriously, it's time folks!

I do not see the two situations as being comparable. I am not sure that an assoiaition with gambling REQUIRES a ban and ineligibility for the hall but I don't see the 1919 White Sox in there either.

As for steroids etc there are established penalties that are certainly less sever than a a lifetime ban but I do not know of any situation where a known steroid user was elected to the hall of Fame.

Both situations have the potential to destroy the game. With gambling it is easier to see how (games can literally be fixed) but both hurt the integrity of the game. Which is worse throwing a game or cheating to win one? i would say throwing one is but both situations are bad.

I don't understand the correlation between Pete Rose and steroid users when it comes to the HOF, it's apples and oranges.

The HOF is about what you accomplished on the field. Pete Rose is the all time hits leader, and he did it CLEAN. He gambled on baseball, and he was justly punished for that. But what does that have to do with his HOF credentials? :confused:

These steroid cheats affected games they were playing in.

Ramy said best: Keep Rose out of baseball, but he belongs in the Hall.

Seriously, it's time folks!

While you can't question his numbers, you can question the damage he did to baseball. It's not just about the numbers to make it to the hall of fame. Rose did some damage to the game and he knows it. And the Commissioner of Baseball was interviewed about a few days before he died and said they had some really damaging information on Rose that was never made public. I'm guessing that he had been gambling for years .

While you can't question his numbers, you can question the damage he did to baseball. It's not just about the numbers to make it to the hall of fame. Rose did some damage to the game and he knows it.

And I agree with all that. But isn't that where the lifetime ban comes in?

And I agree with all that. But isn't that where the lifetime ban comes in?

I wish I could put the Giamatti interview on youtube. I would but MLB yanks everything off and I don't want any more strikes on my account. If you saw the interview Giamatti talks about not wanting to see more details about Rose before the banned him and wanting some of the information sealed. In my opionion they had something really big on Rose that never came out. They might explain why Rose cooled down a bit after the ban. Did Rose Gamble for years , even in the 1970's? Who knows.

Oh , Another thing about Rose.

If Pete had admitted he had a gambling problem and got help for it right away I bet it would have been a whole different story when it comes to the Hall Of Fame. But part of the problem with people who gamble like he does is that they don't believe they have a gambling problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)