Still getting voom install as late as 2/4/05

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I was actually calling him retarded cause he smelled like pil and gas and was dirty and so on.He did do a good install i will admit but he got rushed in the end and did not set up one tv where the cable will work also as well as sat.I will go thorugh it and figure it out.He also got caulking all over my rug and drapes.BUt so far im diging the hd service lets just hope i get to experience it for more than 3 days.As for the previous question i was asking i did run a toslink already for sound and really just was wondering about a difference in clarity from compnent to dvi/hdmi.My tv has 1080 spots for both component and hdmi so i assume it will be same and i will save the extra 100 bucks or so and stick with component.Thanks for your help guys i think all my questions were answered.

I guess i should have mentioned my equipment before i wrote everything.I have a sony kdf-50we655.thats a rear project lcd.Progressive scan sony dvd vcr combo/and new sony 5.1 digital reciever and full surround sound.The tv has hdmi and the voom has dvi.I did read that article and i guess your right that the component 1080 will be just as clear as the dvi to hdmi cable would be.I guess i think like most others that digatil would be better than analog.I do have optical running sound from stb.YOu gota love that crisp sound while watching tv im in love with hd now sd channels make me go blind. :shocked

bigmarkhd said:
I guess i should have mentioned my equipment before i wrote everything.I have a sony kdf-50we655.thats a rear project lcd.Progressive scan sony dvd vcr combo/and new sony 5.1 digital reciever and full surround sound.The tv has hdmi and the voom has dvi.I did read that article and i guess your right that the component 1080 will be just as clear as the dvi to hdmi cable would be.I guess i think like most others that digatil would be better than analog.I do have optical running sound from stb.YOu gota love that crisp sound while watching tv im in love with hd now sd channels make me go blind. :shocked
as far as the audio sound i tried the optical and compared to the monster cable audio out from the STB....I can't tell any improvement..I have been an audiophile for many years and i can tell you where the difference will be......The speaker cable... run equal length on all speakers regardless how close one speaker or speakers are near the amp....also use high quality speaker cable like monster cable...for the front speakers use the thickest guage possible...I am using monster cable 8 guage... sound crazy but it makes a difference..for the center and rear heavy guage not so important because of limited frequency... still use at least 16 guage..subwoofer not important cause no speaker wiring needed. Im using yamaha rx 1300 6.1 surround 125watt per channel.... pbs floor standing front speakers...If you are using shelf front speaker then you do not need 8 guage wire but go get at least 12 or 14..... my wife is not an audiophile but she can hear the difference

stevej27 said:
as far as the audio sound i tried the optical and compared to the monster cable audio out from the STB....I can't tell any improvement..I have been an audiophile for many years and i can tell you where the difference will be......The speaker cable... run equal length on all speakers regardless how close one speaker or speakers are near the amp....also use high quality speaker cable like monster cable...for the front speakers use the thickest guage possible...I am using monster cable 8 guage... sound crazy but it makes a difference..for the center and rear heavy guage not so important because of limited frequency... still use at least 16 guage..subwoofer not important cause no speaker wiring needed. Im using yamaha rx 1300 6.1 surround 125watt per channel.... pbs floor standing front speakers...If you are using shelf front speaker then you do not need 8 guage wire but go get at least 12 or 14..... my wife is not an audiophile but she can hear the difference

If you are talking about the Voom STB, which I am pretty sure you are, go into the audio menu and be sure the un-compressed or no compression for audio output is selected. Then on your AV receiver be sure to use high bit sampling if you have that available. This will make a huge difference in the dynamic range of the STB audio.

Indy said:
If you are talking about the Voom STB, which I am pretty sure you are, go into the audio menu and be sure the un-compressed or no compression for audio output is selected. Then on your AV receiver be sure to use high bit sampling if you have that available. This will make a huge difference in the dynamic range of the STB audio.
Yes.. done that on the STB no compression. Did use high bit sampling on my receiver..still did not here any increase in dynamic range...What i do hear is with my setup increase in depth and location of the instruments and solidy of objects in the surround sound area. also im using highest quality monster audio out from STB thats why I cant hear any difference... if i used cheap audio out cable and used the optical and compare the two the optical will sound better.

Install Scheduled for 2/7/2005

Well, I received a voom package today, and have an installation scheduled for February 7. I have yet to speak to anyone from Voom, but that is something that I will rectify tomorrow.

I think that if Voom lasts for another 2 months or so I will feel lucky. As I don't want to stick with SD only dish service, and am unwilling to pay the "transition costs" necessary to get HD from them (limited as it is), I will go back to comcast cable (HD) if Voom goes under.

I have had an HD-ready tv (Panasonic) for two years, and it is about time I see *some* HD content.

I am glad I discovered this forum - even if it may be at the end of Voom's life span.

b :)

Voom

I am happy also i am getting Voom Installed on Feburary 14Th i could not pass up that 1 dollar install i will at least expereince Voom for a few months i hope. :D

I now have install up to 2/17/05 and still getting equipment daily.

stevej27, I'm also an audiophile "nut" and have found speaker cables important as well. However, have not found that size matters (at least for speaker cables, heh, heh). The geometry, materials used and the way they are put together seems to matter more.

Bottom line, as you have found, cables do make a difference. A fellow audiophile even more "nuts" than I am tried several pair of speaker cables over $3,000 and invited me over to help him listen. Soon as I heard the $22,500 ones I knew which ones he would buy and he did. And you think videophiles are nuts!

Still enjoying HDTV under partly cloudy (snow tonight?) Seatte skies, Gill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)