Still learning - suggestions please.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

xf021209

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
Dallas, TX
After playing around with my new 33" FTA dish and LNB I was able to pick up Galaxy 19 fairly easily. The dish was setting on a tripod mount on the ground. I was using one of those stupid little cheap meters, not having much luck so I took the LCD TV and X2 Mini outside, selected Galaxy 19, and TP with 12152/H/20000 which is what RTAmerica appears to be broadcast on. I was able to pull in RT, though it was somewhat in and out. I concluded that the trees in my back yard might be just a bit in the way. I ordered a TrackerLight meter and also purchased some new RG/6 (not the cheap stuff). I mounted the dish up on the roof of the house, for a nice clear view of the southern sky. I programmed the meter for freq. 12152 (this is TP26 according to Lyngsat), SR of 20000, LO 10600 (for my Strong LNB), and 18v for horizontal. I aimed the dish and set it at the best signal and quality I could get. It's raining pretty good here in Dallas so we have heavy cloud cover, so I didn't expect a great signal and quality (see attached image).
2014-04-06 17.55.22.jpg

I'm not getting a lock which according to the manual is not unusual. I have gotten a lock on one sat but I'm not sure which one it was, but it wasn't Galaxy 19. From on the roof at the dish with 6' of RG/6 the signal is around 82 to 88 but seems to vary a great deal based on the storm. As you can see the quality is very low. When I connect up to my X2 Mini in the house and do a blind scan, I get pretty much nothing. I expect at least to see some signal strength and quality but there's just nothing. I know the X2 Mini is working because I was pointed at another sat earlier in the day, and had a strong enough signal and quality was good enough to view the channel (though I have no idea what the channel was (non-English - sounded Mediterranean).

My question is, am I going about trying to lock onto Galaxy 19 in the right way? I've used everything from a compass to a couple of Android apps on my Nexus 7 to get the initial aiming of the dish done. I'm just getting tired of getting on the roof to aim, then to find out I'm not where I need to be back in the house. I thought that the meter was great, but my lack of experience is certainly showing.

I'm thinking it's time to pull the dish off the roof again and get more practice in the back yard considering I've locked onto Galaxy 19 several times that way. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong and how I can make this easier would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I had the X2 Mini do a blind scan, only one station came up - Azteca Trece (Fre 11347/H/02219) V/A/PCR PID 0033/0038/0033). I'm going to go try and find that in LyngSat.

Thanks,

Todd

Last edited:
That should be on 93W, unless they've moved it lately. I'm surprised you didn't find the Chinese stations on 95W instead, they're really strong.

That should be on 93W, unless they've moved it lately. I'm surprised you didn't find the Chinese stations on 95W instead, they're really strong.

I'm a little confused about that. Lyngsat shows 180.8 for Galaxy 19 for my location which is 97W and 11789 is the first TP(v) in the Lyngsat list. Am I reading this wrong?

snap.jpg

Thanks,

Todd

Lots of changes on G19, lyngsat may be out of date, suggest [h=3]Galaxy 19 (97W) Ku-band channel guide -- Apr. 5 update[/h]Started by northgeorgia

But since you've already scanned it, you should have all the transponder info needed. Watch them for Q.
From 93W should be a very slightly higher and slightly to the west.
Mark the pole and elevation scale so you have a reference to return to.
Small adjustments, and wait 10 sec or so for the receiver to lock and display Q, repeat.

Go back to finding G19. That LNBF is a Universal type and has an internal switch for switching between the low and high bands. In the photo, you have the meter LO set correctly to 10600 for the high band, but the internal switch must be switched to the high band output by turning 22KHz ON.

The reason that you are not seeing any Signal Quality on 97w is that with 22KHz OFF, the LNBF is outputting from the low band portion of the KU frequencies, which is unused in North America.

When using a Universal LNBF in North America, the meter and the STB LNB type must be either set to universal type (LO 9750/10600) with 22KHz set to automatic or LNB type standard (LO 10600) with 22KHz set to ON.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Last edited:
I'm starting to realize why I got out of this. I know you pointed to the excel spreadsheet once before, thanks for posting that again. I'm not sure what sat I'm pointed at now but there are about 540 channels and 400+ radio stations. I went looking to see if I could find what sat it was based on the Freq but didn't find anything.

2014-04-06 21.27.25.jpg

Is there a website where I can plug in the Freq/station like this and find out what sat I'm pointed at? The meter says 95W but that looks like a DirectTV sat (Galaxy 3C). I did find a site that says it lists all sats. I did a search for 11397 and found nothing. Just a little confusing as to what I'm plugged into.

It's late here in Dallas and unfortunately I still have to work for a living. Time to call it a night.

Todd

Just going on the photo alone here that you posted above ... your receiver is now listing channels from ALL Satellites ever scanned or programmed in, but you don't actually have that many on any one given satellite. So what you're seeing is a master list of all stations in its memory.

The good news, if you haven't adjusted your dish since your last photo, is that you are NOW on 97W. Congratulations! The photo shows JCTV (which is now being rebranded "JUCE"). Try to blindscan just 97W now, and if you don't get all the channels you'll just need extremely slight adjustments to get them all tuned in.

Yep looks like you have found 97W alright, now time to do some tweaking to get the best signal. I would leave everything as is right now and first delete everything that is listed in your receiver for G19 and do a fresh blindscan. Reason I say delete what you have now is, you may have stuff from earlier experimenting incorrectly listed in your receiver on G19 from other birds.

JCTV (JUCE) is on satellite 97w and transponder frequency 12177, but it is logged on your receiver as 11397. 11397 does not exist on North American satellites.

The LO Frequency and 22KHz switch settings are not set correctly for 97w in your receiver installation menu and the LNBF may be defective and is not tuned to the correct frequency. Check that the LNBF type is set to Standard, the LO frequency is set to 10600 and the 22KHz is set to ON.

NorthGeorgia and KE4EST are correct. Erase all channels and transponders from the receiver and perform a new Blind a Scan.

Please share the results of the new blind scan by providing the channel name and the frequency it scanned in on.

Good luck!

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Last edited:
One of the problems is that this is a portable system (or is going to be portable) which makes aiming a lot of fun and forget about references since they always change. That's what I was hoping the meter would help me out with, but I'm finding that though it helps, there are still a lot of variables that can get in the way. I guess as an amateur radio operator I'm a little surprised not to find the sats ID'ing in some way that a meter could lock onto. Something like on all sats, TP1 at a set freq or even in between some transmission there would be an ID that could easily be referenced in a lookup on the meter. So as the dish is moved from sat to sat, the meter would be able to display which sat it was picking up. Another confusing thing is that my meter is picking up Galaxy 19 but it says it's on 95W. I know that's just a relative number but the other settings are more like C band freqs. I'll post a screen shot of it tonight when I get home from work. It's really strange to me.

Thanks,

Todd

Go back to finding G19. That LNBF is a Universal type and has an internal switch for switching between the low and high bands. In the photo, you have the meter LO set correctly to 10600 for the high band, but the internal switch must be switched to the high band output by turning 22KHz ON.

The reason that you are not seeing any Signal Quality on 97w is that with 22KHz OFF, the LNBF is outputting from the low band portion of the KU frequencies, which is unused in North America.

When using a Universal LNBF in North America, the meter and the STB LNB type must be either set to universal type (LO 9750/10600) with 22KHz set to automatic or LNB type standard (LO 10600) with 22KHz set to ON.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Ah, when I have the LNB set to universal the X2 Mini does not give me an option for Auto. I cleared everything out (reset the X2 Mini to factory default), set the LNB to standard at 10600 and turned on the 22KHz. Then I did a blind scan. Pulled in half the channels (fewer duplicates). With that done, tonight I'll look up those channels, their TP's and info to make sure that's all good. The funny part is that the box for the LNB says universal, but it certainly seems to work better with standard settings.

Just going on the photo alone here that you posted above ... your receiver is now listing channels from ALL Satellites ever scanned or programmed in, but you don't actually have that many on any one given satellite. So what you're seeing is a master list of all stations in its memory.

The good news, if you haven't adjusted your dish since your last photo, is that you are NOW on 97W. Congratulations! The photo shows JCTV (which is now being rebranded "JUCE"). Try to blindscan just 97W now, and if you don't get all the channels you'll just need extremely slight adjustments to get them all tuned in.

Did a reset to factory and then setup the LNB as standard, LO 10600, and blind scanned. Looking better and better. I'm still confused about what my meter is telling me, and a post a shot of it tonight. I'm sure I'm just using it wrong.

Thanks,

Todd

Yep looks like you have found 97W alright, now time to do some tweaking to get the best signal. I would leave everything as is right now and first delete everything that is listed in your receiver for G19 and do a fresh blindscan. Reason I say delete what you have now is, you may have stuff from earlier experimenting incorrectly listed in your receiver on G19 from other birds.

Yep, done, much better results. Funny that I couldn't get a thing on the roof of the house. Pulled the dish back down into the back yard and now I'm on Galaxy 19. Go figure!

Todd

Yep, done, much better results. Funny that I couldn't get a thing on the roof of the house. Pulled the dish back down into the back yard and now I'm on Galaxy 19. Go figure!

Todd

Glad you got it going!!!

JCTV (JUCE) is on satellite 97w and transponder frequency 12177, but it is logged on your receiver as 11397. 11397 does not exist on North American satellites.

The LO Frequency and 22KHz switch settings are not set correctly for 97w in your receiver installation menu and the LNBF may be defective and is not tuned to the correct frequency. Check that the LNBF type is set to Standard, the LO frequency is set to 10600 and the 22KHz is set to ON.

NorthGeorgia and KE4EST are correct. Erase all channels and transponders from the receiver and perform a new Blind a Scan.

Please share the results of the new blind scan by providing the channel name and the frequency it scanned in on.

Good luck!

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Thanks Brian, yes the 11397 was part of my confusion. I was thinking how the heck am I pulling this in when it's not even listed? I've reset the LNB as suggested and that's made a big difference. I've got to verify some of the channels to make sure they are correct. I'll compare them against the April Excel sheet here on the site. I've also got to work on how to properly use my meter, as it's showing something totally bizarre when receiving the signal from 97w. Happily getting closer though. My memory must be failing me as I don't remember my BUD being this finicky and difficult. That'll be my next project is to get my BUD back up and running. Pictures later today.

Thanks,
Todd

The receivers are DUMB. They only know what satellite they are pointed at because you have to tell them (Programming - Satellite selection) You can change the name of any satellite in the list.
They also don't know what the actual frequency is. You have to program L.O. accurately in order to display that correctly.
L.O. has to be correct for a blind scan to display the actual frequency of the 'found' transponders. It also has to be correct for a manually entered transponder to 'appear' and display "Q".

------------------------------------------------
When using a Universal LNBF (22Khz set to ON)
actual - L.O. = what the receiver actually tunes
12177 - 10600 = 1577

displayed - tuned freq = programmed L.O.(not actual)
11397 - 1577 = 9820

Is the L.O. set to 9820?
Must be as the difference between 10600 and 9820 is the same difference as 12177 and 11397. (780Mhz)

Just a stupid analogy: Your Manual Logbook entry says you are on 10 M, but the frequency your rig is tuned to is 7.165.3Mhz. you Had better Have an advanced license or above --- and regardless of the log, you are on 40 M. Your STB (X2) is only a little smarter than your manual log. The ham RIG is smarter than the STB. -- OK, your log does not set your rig to anything, but the menu settings in the STB have to be correct to DISPLAY the correct information. Why did it not work on the roof? {It did not want you playing on the roof = Daddy says it is not safe!}

Just a stupid analogy: Your Manual Logbook entry says you are on 10 M, but the frequency your rig is tuned to is 7.165.3Mhz. you Had better Have an advanced license or above --- and regardless of the log, you are on 40 M. Your STB (X2) is only a little smarter than your manual log. The ham RIG is smarter than the STB. -- OK, your log does not set your rig to anything, but the menu settings in the STB have to be correct to DISPLAY the correct information. Why did it not work on the roof? {It did not want you playing on the roof = Daddy says it is not safe!}

Seems things change daily and I have no idea why it wasn't working on the roof. Such as clear view. Place it on the ground and shoot between two trees and viola, it's on target. Maybe those trees are acting as a natural radio wave guide, our maybe a super natural radio wave guide, or maybe a stupid natural radio wave guide, but personally I think it's just dumb luck! I'm also only what used to be called a Tech Plus, of course code doesn't count anymore.

Todd, N7TRK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts