Still learning - suggestions please.

I was about to order micro HD kit but wondering from what I am reading. Is it always this hard to setup or is there one that works for someone not familiar with al the numbers and settings? I would appreciate any advise.

It's not that difficult and there's been plenty of help for me from the experts on this site. As far as the micro HD, I'm not sure of its configuration. I have the X2 and it is limited as to the preloaded satellites but it does allow manually adding satellites. Other receivers I've had did contain more factory loaded satellites which made setup easier. The key I think you have to look at is are you getting into FTA to cut expensive cable and still have some variety of TV programming, getting into. FTA because you think you'll enjoy the FTA hobby, or a combination of both. I'm the latter. If you're just looking to cut cable and save some money then you'll most likely be disappointed. To give you an idea, Galaxy 19 is to me the easiest satellite to lock on to. Out of several hundred broadcasts, I have lock 41 in which broadcast in English. Out of those, about 5 or 6 are news while the others are varying degrees of Christian broadcasts. PBS is on another sat and varying programs can be found on other SATs. For me the mixture of FTA and local over the air broadcasts is enough to do away with cable TV. Your mileage may vary.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I was about to order micro HD kit but wondering from what I am reading. Is it always this hard to setup or is there one that works for someone not familiar with al the numbers and settings? I would appreciate any advise.

For me it wasn't too hard and I didn't know anything about setting up satellite TV before coming here, but I do have a very extensive electronics background. Many knowledgeable people on here are always willing to help out too.

For me, the numbers of LNB Lo's, transponders, elevation, etc, all seemed very intimidating at first and I wasn't at all sure I was capable of doing FTA at all, but very quickly it was like Fat Air stated, a piece of cake.

For me it wasn't too hard and I didn't know anything about setting up satellite TV before coming here, but I do have a very extensive electronics background. Many knowledgeable people on here are always willing to help out too. For me, the numbers of LNB Lo's, transponders, elevation, etc, all seemed very intimidating at first and I wasn't at all sure I was capable of doing FTA at all, but very quickly it was like Fat Air stated, a piece of cake.
Thank you for your encouragement. I don't know anything about this but I ordered the micro and I will see what happens. I jerked on pipe wrenches my working life so I'll learn on here. I have seen over the years how helpful people are on this site. Thanks again.

I would venture to say the vast majority of FTA enthusiasts here do NOT have an electronics/RF/satellite background. But persons who like to 'make things work' with their own hands. Maybe a topic for a poll?
I don't know anything about [FTA]
A little hands on, and questions asked, and answered, and you'll be 'up to speed' and likely able to join in and answer questions for newcomers shortly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)