Still new and trying can't find AMC 21

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
1/16 to the east is all? The elevation stays to same? My CS-5000 does not show 125.0, so it is hard for me to find it as well. I will try this from 129 again tomorrow.
No Doubt
you are on 129W

Since I am motorized, I plugged in the transponder you posted and moved the dish until I got signal. I thought you were on 128 but got nothing. Moved to 129 and bars lit up green. Bery strong signal

so you're 4 degrees away which if you draw a line on the mast of the dish (line it up with something like the bracket that can move) you would move less than 1/16" off that mark you made you will hit 125.

The mark also knows where you are on the arc

when I say 1/16" that is on the mast

see attached pic. When I had to move a dish one time I made a mark on the mast that lined up with another mark on the elevation bracket. Then I knew I was at X spot. I had to move the dish 6 degrees and on that mark it was 1/16" off that mark.

Elevation varies due to location. You being on west coast elevation may be minor. check thelist under sat claculator

Attachments

• Dynamic 057.jpg
    Dynamic 057.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 137
Thats great news!

Thanks Iceberg and Phlatwound! :)
Now I know which direction to go, so that should help a lot.
I'll give it a try again tomorrow when I can tell what I'm doing. (since its dark and windy now, not to mention that my wife saw a bear walk past the house yesterday).
I'll let you know how it turns out.

sweet let us know how it turns out. You are very close and very small movements can make a big difference in signal ;)
(btw: if you dont mind me asking where in MT are you?)

very cool.

There is a thread in the chit chat area "If you could go one place where would it be" and I posted "This may sound goofy but I got a couple places I'd like to visit

-The backwoods of Montana. Talked with folks from there and they say its so peaceful
-Alaska

I dont fly so Montana may sound more reasonable "

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1976946-post18.html

I'd love to get out there someday :)

It is peaceful and remote, which can be a good thing and a bad thing. We were previously in Missoula, which became to large. We're only about 75 miles from there now, so we can get back there when we need to. Winters here are usually more mild than in the Dakotas and Minnesota (where I am from originally), but locally we get a LOT of snow - 4 to 6 feet in an average winter.

Great news - I found AMC 21. I get good picture on a couple channels, but no audio, Then the audio drops on the other channels. My Level is at 79 percent and quality is at 68 percent, which is the best that I could get. Seems to me that if I can get picture, I should get audio. Am I doing something else wrong?

I'm surprised how low on the horizon that the dish is pointed. I even cut a few trees that appeared to be in the way a few hundred yards away (dead anyway), and could cut a couple more (live), but if that's not the problem, I'd rather not.

Great news - I found AMC 21. I get good picture on a couple channels, but no audio, Then the audio drops on the other channels. My Level is at 79 percent and quality is at 68 percent, which is the best that I could get. Seems to me that if I can get picture, I should get audio. Am I doing something else wrong?

There are some channels on AMC 21 @ 125.0'W that won't provide audio depending upon your receiver and external audio equipment. I cannot get CREATE or V-ME audio unless I connect the SPDIF audio on my Coolsat 5K.

The audio is there, your equipment just needs to be able to work with it.

RADAR

....I'm surprised how low on the horizon that the dish is pointed. I even cut a few trees that appeared to be in the way a few hundred yards away (dead anyway), and could cut a couple more (live), but if that's not the problem, I'd rather not.

B'woods, you have an offset dish, and the dish is actually "looking" somewhere from 22-25 degrees higher than the reflector appears to be facing. Unless you were looking for a sat that was very near the horizon (and 125W is not near the horizon for your location) trees at that distance will not be an issue.

With my PS 1.0 dish, do I need to change the skew to get 125, compared to 123 & 129? My elevation is the same with 123 & 125, but no luck yet.
No Doubt

very minimal in your case

123.0°W Galaxy 18 C/Ku
(True South)
34.9° 181.3° 163.2° 0.9°L
125.0°W AMC 21 Ku Ku
34.9° 184.0° 165.9° 2.7°L

so you can keep it as is (last number is skew)

Audio...

When I first found the satellite I got audio on Montana PBS, but now nothing. Is it possible that shows that are broadcast locally have a different audio that the ones re-broadcast from the network feed?:confused:

The manual for my Coolsat 6100 says the audio is "AC-3 Dolby Digital (RCA & Optical)"
Is that for decoding the audio? Is there some more adjustment I should be doing on the dish?

I'm confused since I was getting audio earlier, at least on Montana PBS (but no other channels)

Can I change some settings on my receiver?

Montana PBS is standard MPEG audio. The audio on most of the other PBS channels on 125w is AC-3, commonly known as Dolby Digital. You will need to use a stereo system that is capable of decoding Dolby Digital, and connect the optical (TOSLink) or coaxial (SPDIF) digital output on your FTA receiver to a digital input on your Dolby Digital stereo system.

Or you can use the Sonic Voom standalone decoder, it works well.

When I first found the satellite I got audio on Montana PBS, but now nothing. Is it possible that shows that are broadcast locally have a different audio that the ones re-broadcast from the network feed?:confused:

The manual for my Coolsat 6100 says the audio is "AC-3 Dolby Digital (RCA & Optical)"
Is that for decoding the audio? Is there some more adjustment I should be doing on the dish?

I'm confused since I was getting audio earlier, at least on Montana PBS (but no other channels)

Can I change some settings on my receiver?

Montana PBS is standard MPEG audio. The audio on most of the other PBS channels on 125w is AC-3, commonly known as Dolby Digital. You will need to use a stereo system that is capable of decoding Dolby Digital, and connect the optical (TOSLink) or coaxial (SPDIF) digital output on your FTA receiver to a digital input on your Dolby Digital stereo system.

Or you can use the Sonic Voom standalone decoder, it works well.

Backwoods,

You are correct. The Montana PBS channel has normal standard audio (not AC-3) so you should have been getting that one for sure, regardless of your equipment.

You should be able to pick up around 16 TV channels and at least one audio channel, altogether. But, some channels are feeds and some have AC-3 audio only.

RADAR

You should be able to pick up around 16 TV channels and at least one audio channel, altogether....

Are you sure about the "one audio" channel? I know that there is one mpeg4 channel that shows up as a radio channel on some blind scan receivers since they can't do the video. I don't remember seeing an audio channel, so I just wanted to figure out if there is really an audio channel on that sat or if it's the mpeg4 channel.

Backwoods,

You are correct. The Montana PBS channel has normal standard audio (not AC-3) so you should have been getting that one for sure, regardless of your equipment.

You should be able to pick up around 16 TV channels and at least one audio channel, altogether. But, some channels are feeds and some have AC-3 audio only.

RADAR

Thanks Radar. I don't have a problem getting a Sonic Voom, but if the Specifications in the owners manual under audio state:

"AC-3 Dolby Digital (RCA & Optical)"
Shouldn't that already be build in to my receiver (Coolsat 6100) :confused:

I'm getting about 7 or 8 channels, but only Montana PBS is audio, and several appear to be network feeds.
-Thanks

Are you sure about the "one audio" channel? I know that there is one mpeg4 channel that shows up as a radio channel on some blind scan receivers since they can't do the video. I don't remember seeing an audio channel, so I just wanted to figure out if there is really an audio channel on that sat or if it's the mpeg4 channel.

its the MPEG4 channel. On the Coolsat 5000 it logs as audio only but the azbox logs it fine

Thanks Radar. I don't have a problem getting a Sonic Voom, but if the Specifications in the owners manual under audio state:

"AC-3 Dolby Digital (RCA & Optical)"
Shouldn't that already be build in to my receiver (Coolsat 6100) :confused:

The receiver outputs the compressed Dolby Digital stream through its digital audio output(s), but does not decompress and decode it. To decode AC-3, you'll need an external decoder such as the Sonic Voom or a stereo system capable of Dolby Digital. The specs on the 6100 mention Dolby Digital because there are some older receivers that will not handle Dolby Digital at all (they are incompatible with it and will not pass it out of the digital outputs).

its the MPEG4 channel. On the Coolsat 5000 it logs as audio only but the azbox logs it fine

Yes,

It turns out that it is the PBS HDTV EAST on TP 12140 V.

It threw me off because it scanned in as "TELAIRITY ENCODER" on TP 12.096 V and I wasn't getting any good audio at the time (garbled). Today it has clear audio and I could tell what channel it was by comparing to my AZBox.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts