Still unable to get green light on DSR 905

Status
Please reply by conversation.
yes on the back of the 905 are both C & KU In and out. Since the 905 is digital only folks "slave" it to an analog receiver

C Band LNB---------------------905 C sat in
905 C Sat out------------------analog receiver

KU LNB-----------------------905 KU sat in
905 KU sat out----------------analog receiver

see attached...page 3

Attachments

• 905Connect.pdf
    408.2 KB · Views: 104
yes on the back of the 905 are both C & KU In and out. Since the 905 is digital only folks "slave" it to an analog receiver

C Band LNB---------------------905 C sat in
905 C Sat out------------------analog receiver

KU LNB-----------------------905 KU sat in
905 KU sat out----------------analog receiver

Does he got it hooked up right?

Found this on the web. Maybe it'll help.

C&P
Mapping the Sidecar: This is the part that confuses most people so read carefully. To Map the digital channels
press the blue SAT button then select G0 from the satellite grid then press ENTER (you can also direct enter the
satellite designations on the remote control as well). Press 9, ENTER. The screen will display the message: You
have chose an analog channel…… Just press the A/D button a couple of times.
Good Signal Poor Signal
Look at the front panel of the Sidecar. The
Dish light (shown left) should now be Green.
If it is Red, additional tuning of the skew or
dish position may be needed. The Skew is
adjusted by pressing the left or right arrow
button on the remote control then use the
arrow button to adjust. The Dish position will
have to be changed on the analog receiver.
Watch for the Dish light to change while you
are adjusting the dish position.
When you have a Green light the Sidecar will begin the “Mapping” process. Allow the Sidecar to sit for 10-15
minutes. Unlike the DSR920 and DSR922 4DTV receivers, the Sidecar does not have a “Channels” counter you
can watch.

Note:
GO used to be our home satellite. It has since changed to G1.

Those were the best kind weren't they. ha
BTW do they need to be in there to work? I mean for trying to get the 905 to work. Been awhile since I mess with them but seems like I wasn't even able to turn it on without it being in there.

Bob

Last edited:
One of these pics is of the left or right polarization status that was different.

Attachments

• 100_3412.JPG
    100_3412.JPG
    592.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_3411.JPG
    100_3411.JPG
    641.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_3410.JPG
    100_3410.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 129
Those were the best kind weren't they. ha
BTW do they need to be in there to work? I mean for trying to get the 905 to work. Been awhile since I mess with them but seems like I wasn't even able to turn it on without it being in there.

Bob

I missed that era.

But,did you get it working yet? The manual tune thing i beleive is neccessary on some 4DTV's due to the Homing satellite change from GO to G1. I know thats what i had to do to get my 920 to get a digital lock on G1 3. After i got the lock it then preceded to download the channel maps. Yours maybe something completely different. I don't know. I would call NPS and ask them if there is a different sat you can get a lock on.

No it is not working.
When I hit the tune button it was still tuning 3 hours later, so I assumed it wasn't going to do anything.
On that manual tune window the polarity was on the left when I first open this window, I changed it to the right to see if would help, but it didn't so I have now changed it back to the left.
Is there any reason you said NPS rather than skyvision? I seen on one of those windows there was a 800 # for somebody, don't know if it was the previous owners provider or not.
Bob

No it is not working.
When I hit the tune button it was still tuning 3 hours later, so I assumed it wasn't going to do anything.
On that manual tune window the polarity was on the left when I first open this window, I changed it to the right to see if would help, but it didn't so I have now changed it back to the left.
Is there any reason you said NPS rather than skyvision? I seen on one of those windows there was a 800 # for somebody, don't know if it was the previous owners provider or not.
Bob

No,
Skyvisions fine too. Maybe your ok and your green light is just burnt out.:D

Wouldn't you think if the LNBF was in the right position and net getting a green light on g1-3 that it would on G1-18? Or if it was off on odd, it would also be off on the even channels?
I think I am going to take my FTA receiver out to the dish and see if it is possible to tune it anymore.
And if that don't work, call the pros at skyvision or NPS or the people who made it.
Maybe it is like the other electronic stuff, pick it up and smack the s--- out of it. ha

Wouldn't you think if the LNBF was in the right position and net getting a green light on g1-3 that it would on G1-18? Or if it was off on odd, it would also be off on the even channels?
I think I am going to take my FTA receiver out to the dish and see if it is possible to tune it anymore.
And if that don't work, call the pros at skyvision or NPS or the people who made it.
Maybe it is like the other electronic stuff, pick it up and smack the s--- out of it. ha

Do you have an "adjust picture screen"? Like this. And does it give you the same 20 signal, 99 quality?

Attachments

• 4dtv.jpg
    4dtv.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 113
I got company coming so won't be able to work on this for a day or so. Depending on how long they stay.
got a couple messes I need to clean up now, so thanks for everybody's time and help and will see what transpires next time.
Thanks, Bob

OK, the company has left and before I do a master reset I had a couple more questions.
Does it make a difference of what kind of VC board is in the Uniden 4600? Do you even need a board in there to make it work( 905 or the 4600)??

I also read somewhere about if your DSR 905 unit # did not start with 0014 , you needed to do some other stuff??

I did print out the Master reset, I guess at this point, I do not have much to lose and wouldn't think you would need to enter all that many satellites. But might make me a little more unhappy, if it did not accomplish anything.

bob

Last edited:
Here is why the VC 11 question-----
3.4 Which VideoCipher modules are compatible with 4DTV?
VCII (or VideoCipher II) was the original VideoCipher technology, which was
compromised very early on. Many people modified the VCII module in order to
watch subscription programming without paying for it. This technology was no
longer manufactured after 1989, and was completely replaced by the VCII+
technology in 1993. VCII modules were black. VCII modules are not compatible
with 4DTV IRD's.

The following modules are compatible with 4DTV, but there have been a few
people reporting they have had difficulty getting the VCII+ module to work
with a 4DTV. The VCII+ module should be compatible, but no absolute promises
can be made.

VCII+ (or VideoCipher II Plus) was a more secure technology mainly because
GI integrated a bunch of separate chips into a single secure chip. The VCII+
boards also supported more scrambled channels than the VCII (256 tier bits
instead of only 56). VCII+ modules were originally the lighter color blue,
and then changed to pink to denote that they were covered by the Consumer
Security Protection Plan (CSPP), which guaranteed a free upgrade to VCRS
if the VCII+ security was compromised within the first three years of
ownership. These began shipping in 1990 and stopped shipping in 1992.

VCRS (or VideoCipher Renewable Security) was an enhancement to the basic
VCII+ technology, but added the security card (known as TVPassCard), which
is the replaceable security. The VCRS is shipped without a TVPassCard, but
is designed to accept a card if the base module becomes compromised. In that
event, all base modules without a card would no longer be able to decrypt
the signals. VCRS boards are navy blue or purple to denote that they can be
exported out of the US. The purple modules were known as VCRSi, but were
functionally the same. All VCRS boards were covered by the three year CSPP.
They began shipping in 1992, and stopped being manufactured in 1998.

I also did take the 905 out to the dish, connected a FTA and tried peaking everything, wasn't able to do much. Was getting quality of 44 on the FTA but don't have any idea how that number would related to the 905.
Anyway it did not cause me to get a green light.
I brought up the diagnostic C window and it does not make a difference with anything I do. It still shows the -3.00
bob

Also did you try slaving the 905 off the FTA receiver instad of the analog receiver? I read somewhere that the 905 will display a Q of 99. When in reality its actually zero.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts