Strong rumors TV 2 soon to be unlocked on 922

That's kinda my point Scott. I fully understand why people were disappointed about the lack of TV 2, but I've not been able to figure out why people care about the whole Dish Pass thing.

lakebum431 said:
That's kinda my point Scott. I fully understand why people were disappointed about the lack of TV 2, but I've not been able to figure out why people care about the whole Dish Pass thing.

The only time I've used dish pass is to set timers for shows that were on hiatus and therefore not in the guide. I had to do this when dish swapped out my 722 a while back because of an EHD issue.

The DVR functionality that I'd miss more is the ability to record something on the fly. It boggles my mind that simply hitting record on the remote won't pop up options to record the current program.

The only time I've used dish pass is to set timers for shows that were on hiatus and therefore not in the guide. I had to do this when dish swapped out my 722 a while back because of an EHD issue.

The DVR functionality that I'd miss more is the ability to record something on the fly. It boggles my mind that simply hitting record on the remote won't pop up options to record the current program.
To record a program you are currently watching press Record and you get a pop up telling you to press it again and you have the option to extend the end time. Then press OK and you will be recording what you are watching. And having all my series timers set to record New and having them backed up on the remote setting up a replacement with all the timers and preferences is a piece of cake.

This may have not been active when the 922 first went public but it is now.

myron243 said:
To record a program you are currently watching press Record and you get a pop up telling you to press it again and you have the option to extend the end time. Then press OK and you will be recording what you are watching. And having all my series timers set to record New and having them backed up on the remote setting up a replacement with all the timers and preferences is a piece of cake.

Am I just confused as to what manual timers means? I thought that what I deceived is the functionality that others referred to as setting a manual timer. I'm guessing it's actually something completely different based on your post.

Can anyone enlighten me?

A good example of when to use a DISHPass timer.
Pick any movie currently showing in the theater. Enter its title in a DISHPass. Select HD. Now when the movie shows up on one of the HD premium channels it will record and you don't have to worry about missing it.

Am I just confused as to what manual timers means? I thought that what I deceived is the functionality that others referred to as setting a manual timer. I'm guessing it's actually something completely different based on your post.

Can anyone enlighten me?

A manual timer is where you want to record a time on a certain channel no matter what is showing. I used to use one on SciFi (before they went syfy) on Friday nights, would record 4 hours to get all the shows they used to have there on a rotating basis. Another example is that I used to use it to record the local news because if I set named based it would record 5 different news casts because early news, noon news, evening pre national, evening after national and late news were all named the same thing.

mike123abc said:
A manual timer is where you want to record a time on a certain channel no matter what is showing. I used to use one on SciFi (before they went syfy) on Friday nights, would record 4 hours to get all the shows they used to have there on a rotating basis. Another example is that I used to use it to record the local news because if I set named based it would record 5 different news casts because early news, noon news, evening pre national, evening after national and late news were all named the same thing.

Thanks. That explains what I was missing.

unlocked TV2 will be a welcome addition to the features for sure.

I have heard that they disabled this to avoid potential confusion when sling is active remotely and someone at home unintentionally interrupts it etc (BS logic IMO).

As I have posted before there is an easy way to have TV2 active all the time but requires a pc slinging audio only for minimal bandwidth consumption. If you have a second 32.0 remote then its an enhanced 722 experience effectively. Since we have figured out this and other hacks might as well make it easy for us and unlock it so we don't need any additional hardware (pc) :up

myron243 said:

Is there a way, if you've been watching a show and it's in the buffer, to record the entire current show from the beginning? I haven't seen that option if it exists.

Great news! I will file this under the who gives a crap folder. Give me something REALLY useful like you PROMISED Dish...Sling Catcher HD.

Is there a way, if you've been watching a show and it's in the buffer, to record the entire current show from the beginning? I haven't seen that option if it exists.
rewind and then hit record is the only way i have been able to do that. wish it had the options like the 722 did for this.

If I understand correctly, this update will allow the 922 to function like the 722 in regard to the TV2 out. Does the 922 have the home distribution setup like the 722? That is a function that I really like with the 722. It allows my other tv's to use tuner 1 & tuner 2.

Yes, it has the home distribution port. So you are correct, this will make it function like the other VIP receivers from a TV2 perspective.

I can't answer that one since I never used it, maybe its a good feature I am missing out on. :)

OK, I'll answer how I and others in the household use it: Our household had Dishpasses for Penn & Teller and it records not only P&T's Bullsh*t show, but all shows in which they appear as guests. I would have otherwise missed their great appearances on many talk and entertainment shows, and some of the few TV specials they had that I had NO IDEA would be airing, but DishPass recorded it. I also put in a DishPass for the title of a movie that opens to the public, say today, and when it appears on HBO, Starz, etc., it records without me having to give it any thought. Also, I have come across movie titles--often from a magizine article, etc, but an older title that I want to see, so I set my DishPass, and a few months later, one of the many movies channels airs it and it is recorded. Years ago, I set a DishPass for the UK talent named Marc Wooton to pick up anything in which he appears, and I am stunned that the DVR recorded a series on Showtime that I hand no advance warning would air, the latest Marc Wootton series. Was I happy. Oh, and someone in our household has a DishPass for " UFO " and catches all his UFO shows on all channels, and they do appear all over the place.

Now, other in the house use it for shows that span several channels. For example, mom has her "Matlock" DishPass because that airs on or has aired on several channels at the same time, but different episodes. Another mom uses is DishPass for the Golden Girls because it too airs on at least 2 different channels, but I one time they were on 4, yes, FOUR different channels and she wanted all those eps to watch.

I also need DishPass for UK performers whose movies or TV series appear on different channels. For example, I have a DishPass for "Jennifer Saunders" of Ab Fab fame, that show appeared on 3 different channels. In fact, the later series for AbFab DID NOT air on Comedy Central, the original channel that aired them first, but on Oxygen channel, a move I never had any advance warning, but using the DishPass allowed my DVR to record the later Ab Fab and her new Vivien Vile series on yet a different channel, the Sundance channel, a different channel than any of her stuff has appearerd on. So, a timer for Comedy Central or BBC America (they did NOT premier the latest eps--Oxygen did) would NOT have worked and I would have missed the series. I am too busy to read mags and spend time being a fanatic who reads all thing whatever on a show to know ahead of time what new channel has the rights, when it will air, etc.; I have DishPass to catch things for me.

Also, some new or recent science of nature series will span 2 different channels, but not all episodes appear on just the one channel. This is the case when they are re-aired a few months later. I didn't see them when the first aired, but using the DishPass I was able to see the entire series because neither of the two channels that aired the repeats aired the entire series because it seemed to me that they were airing them to fill the schedule. IMPOSSIBLE feat without DishPass.

I can go on and on (I have) about more DishPass timers we have. Yes, Scott, you are missing a lot of what you would watch. DishPass feature to scan all channels for any string (others in the household use it for their favorite actor) is immensely powerful and allow FULL VALUE on all the channels that one is paying for. I would have never thought to look on some of the channels (Oxygen aired a UK series that I had put in DishPass and it recorded--but I NEVER would've thought to look for it on Oxygen, I don't fancy searching for it every week because DishPass will do this everyday FOREVER, and TV shows just come to me that I thought may NEVER air in the U.S.) were my favorite performers, musicians and UK TV series would air. UK series span Sundance, IFC, BBC America, Oxygen, etc, I have to use a DishPass and hope they air in the U.S. and they have and they work.

So, do you get the idea. Again, you are missing out!

One in our ho

Last edited:
Interesting. After reading how you use dish pass I thought about any uses that I might have and still can't think of a single diss pass timer that I would want to set. To each his own I guess. :)

lakebum431 said:
Interesting. After reading how you use dish pass I thought about any uses that I might have and still can't think of a single diss pass timer that I would want to set. To each his own I guess. :)

Matlock doesn't peak your interest? :)

Great news! I will file this under the who gives a crap folder. Give me something REALLY useful like you PROMISED Dish...Sling Catcher HD.

I doubt that we will see this feature and if so it will be for another new monthly fee . The tv 2 fee will come back on the 922 and let me guess......... $4.00 a month .

I have decided I am swapping out the 922 for a new 722k instead. I have given up on the 922 ever doing what it was promised to do. My online retailer has agreed to do this and I anticipate by the week of Thanksgiving , I will be watching a new 722k with google integration . So my $10.00 dvr fee will still stay the same , with the $6.00 dvr fee + the $4.00 google fee included. I never did use the sling feature that much, and Lord knows it didn't work like it was supposed to most of the time. I only bought the 922 because of the idea of doing hd on two hd tvs , on two different shows at the same time ,using the sling extender. I don't see that happening and just added another 211k with dvr integration a couple of months ago for the bedroom for hd.

I feel that the 922 was another failed receiver concept like the old 921, due to the new google box being pushed and marketed instead. You can add this google box to any vip receiver like the 722k and it does what the 922 was promised to do. Plus the 722k works reliably for 4 recordings at a time ,unlike the 922 with tv 2 user stopped recording/ deleted bug. The whole " tv everywhere" idea seems to be just that now. An idea that DISH tried to copyright and waited too long to do so . Now they have moved on to other ideas. Now just allow us to link our hd receivers, like Directv does for multi-room viewing and I would be happy. But in the future I will stay away from all receivers that start with 9 or 92_.

Last edited:

Fair thought. However, even major broadcast net shows have changed networks. Just as an example, Medium, (didn't Scrubs change nets?) and a few others have. Also, major net shows, such as The Apprentice, premiere on the NBC TV Network, but the premier episode is replayed on a channel that NBC owns, such as Bravo or MSNBC, so using a DishPass provide protection if a show is not recorded due to priority.

However, it really is to each his own. We DishPasser prefer to get FULL VALUE for our monthly bill and do have a rich knowledge and appreciation for a number of musicians and other performers reflecting wide variety of interests and entertainment. But if one just wants to record Dancing with the Stars, American Idol, and a few other shows, and has no interest beyond that, then DishPass could certainly be useless to that person. I'm sure a lot of non-power users find it useless as would a lot of senior citizens because often those folks just want to record only a very few shows and it would not be right to force people to use DishPass if they don't want to. But, the result is, people are missing out, but if one doesn't know what they have missed, then no "doooh!" moments about having missed something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)