Strong transponders on Galaxy 12?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pookah

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
USA
Can't seem to locate AMC 11 which is just 2 degrees from Galaxy 12. Satbeams shows that I only need 110cm dish to get something on Galaxy 12(130 for AMC11) from Southern Ontario but i've spent few hours trying to locate it with no luck. I got 180cm mesh and Norsat 8125 DRO LNB. But again, I'm on a learning curve on how to manually locate satellites so I may be doing something wrong.

Take your time. minimum dish size go with bigger is better. use dish pointer and satbeams that has help me out.

Finally managed to lock onto DVB-S 3928 V(QVC) on AMC 11 but with a slight pixelation. However, none of the DVB-S2 transponders have signal.

3900 H 30000 is a very strong DVBS2 transponder on 131w. Watching hockey on NESN right now. The ability to lock is likely the difference between using a 10' and 6' reflector...

The estimated dish size has little to do with reality. :( The estimate is only based on receiving a full powered transponder using ideal FEC and no adjacent satellite interference.

To predictably receive satellites separated by 2 degrees requires a minimum of a 8 foot reflector. Lower power transponders, higher FEC and higher modulations require a larger reflector just to provide a signal level with adequate headroom above the noise floor just to decode.

Reactions: KE4EST
Pookah is in Southern Ontario. So 131W is a lot lower than for someone on the West Coast. That's more atmosphere and ground noise to punch thru as well,right?

several TPs on 131W are really strong here, but I am several degrees west of Southern Ontario, and using a 10' (2.4m) dish. QVC seems to be the only FTA on this sat?

I gave up. My 6ft seems to be failing on everything except 91w and 97w. I got NASA from 127W as well but 131w, 125w, 101w are not locking for me. Figured the dish size is too small...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)