Sub to Starz or HBO for recording of HD movies?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
dfergie has gotten me hooked on recording HD movies to the EHD, so now Im looking at adding another premium.

I have Cinemax, and us HDNMV's too, but am weighing Starz vs HBO.

HBO is more, but I get the benefit of their series.

Opinions welcome!

I like HBO far more than the other premiums because of their original series.

Starz has the Disney Movies, but HBO usually has the boxing, original series and movies (movies which either premiere on HBO or Max, but will be seen on both)I like Showtime for some of their original series and sports (Inside the NFL)... but they don't have the movies like HBO or Starz.

So, If I have HBO and Max, I'll get a great movie variety as well as Boxing (which I like) and series. Sounds like HBO is worth the $16.

In that case, I'd go with Starz because I *think* HBO movies eventually find their way to Cinemax.

dfergie has gotten me hooked on recording HD movies to the EHD, so now Im looking at adding another premium.

Opinions welcome!

I like Showtime..... hooked on watching Weeds. My neighbor records them for me and I catch up when I go visit.

I like Showtime the best of all premiums with their original series, boxing and mma. Not the best selection of movies but Dexter Californication , and Weeds separate it from other premiums.

Hmmmmm.

Yeah, I need to consider that if true. Regardless of boxing, hd movie selection is what matters.

If you're looking for a little older stuff, HBO is probably number two to its brother Cinemax, but way better than Starz or Showtime. And, if you have Encore, most of Starz new movies get there eventually, too. Plus, all the other things people mentioned.

If you already have Cinemax and you just want to record movies, then you want Starz. Cinemax shows almost all of the same movies as HBO.

Showtime has great original programming, but the weakest movie selection. HBO is the best overall, but you are already getting most of those movies.

And, if you have Encore, most of Starz new movies get there eventually, too.

This is a good point. If you have Gold/250/whatever, you'll get the Starz movies on Encore and the Showtime movies on The Movie Channel. If only TMC-HD was included with Gold...

I record more Starz movies than HBO, I think. However, HBO has more (and better variety and more in HD) "subchannels" than Starz. HBO's series are mostly better, but I do like "Party On" on Starz. I wouldn't want to give up either one, but if I had to, I would probably give up Starz.

That was a lot of help, wasn't it?

Brad

It's a tough decision. Both HBO and STARZ have good movies. Things do show up on Max after HBO and vice versa. Showtime lost the last of their studios coming up very shortly.

S~

Movies only

If you are going for HD movies only go Starz. You will get the HBO movies on Max. Showtime is more series (although I love Weeds, Dexter & Californication) than movies anymore. To get the Encore HD you have to have the Starz prem package. So that's my $.02 worth.

I could not stand to be without HBO or Showtime for the original series.

I always end up dropping Starz after a month or so because the movies don't interest me. Plus, with Netflix streaming, they have a deal to carry all the Starz movies.

Opinions welcome!
If you already have Cinemax, Go with Starz.
As all the others have been saying, Most time anything thats on HBO , will be on Cinemax, And Most time its better on Cinemax, Because HBO edits some of their movie content to make it a Little more Friendly.:)
Starz is the Next best bet for HD movies.
Just keep an Eye on your total monthly Price, Because if you have Top 250 with 3 premiums, That cost more per month the AEP with 2 HD DVRs;)
Always compair your Prices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts