Suggestion for HDTV access for all Sat subscribers (speculation)

JohnR

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Topeka, Kansas
Here is my speculation and suggestion to all sat providers to provide all the major networks available to all customers in High Definition.

1. All HD receivers would have a built in HD tuner to receive local channels where they are available. The local channels would be mapped in the receiver and included in the programming guide.

2. Provide and both, east and west coast feeds for the four networks.

3. For those that already have network waivers, flip the switch and make HD from all the networks available to them.

4. For those that do not or cannot receive a local HD signal, give them the network feeds. This pre-supposes that not receiving a HD signal allows for granting of a waiver. If this isn’t something that is addressed in the revision of the Satellite Home Viewers Act, then a strong lobby for the language that would allow it should be made. The current act, as it applies to analog signals, allows for a signal test. If the language in the revised act were to state the same thing for HD signals, a signal test should be a snap. You either get reception or you don’t with the digital signal. No reception? Instant waiver for that network.

5. As the WB and UPN come on with their HD signals, provide superstation HD access, as Dish Network does now. If, and when WB, UPN or PAX were to become defined as a network, see paragraphs 1-3 above.

If what I propose is implemented, this would prevent the unnecessary use of the bandwidth in an effort to provide all or a great portion of the nation with their local channels in HD.

I know that with the language of the current law, a network signal waiver issue only applies to NTSC and not HD (ATSC?) and therefore may not allow for an automatic waiver. But, in the future, the analog signals are supposed to be eliminated. I believe the date was 2006, but it might be extended. The extension of the analog signal may knock my idea out of the box. Once analog is turned off, the local stations can’t cry that they have exclusive rights to the customer. If they can’t deliver a signal to the location, they should be SOL (Again, presupposing that the federal law is modified to apply to digital/HD signals.)

I know some who post here will poo poo my idea and some will say they never watch the networks tripe. But, those folks would benefit as well, since valuable bandwidth will not be eaten up in a race by the competing sat services to provide everyone their local stations. Like it or not, delivery of the major networks is something that most people want. Proof positive is the race to provide all markets with locals now.

I look forward to comments to my suggestion/ideas. I can’t think of an issue that I left out.

PooPooers….fire away!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)