Suggestions on upgrading my setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
I am looking for input: I am thinking of moving my setup as my neighbor's tree is interfering with my 30w reception. I think I have a spot on top of the hill behind my house that sould work for the whole arc. Now, since I will be moving my setup, I was thinking of possible upgrades. Here is what I have now. Fortec 80cm dish, SG2100 motor and a Sadoun KUL1 lnb.

I was thinking of getting a 90cm dish as RTN is hard for me to get on a consistant basis. Anyone have anythoughs? Here is some ideas I came up with:

1) 90cm dish, use same motor and same lnb

2) 6' C-Band dish

3) 100 or 120 cm dish - Sadoun has some good deals on them.

4) 90 cm dish, new motor and new LNB and have 2 motorized set ups.....

My main thought is if I have to move everything then maybe now is a good time to upgrade. Thanks for any input!

Right now Sadoun is doing 200 bucks SHIPPED for a 120cm dish until the end of month
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...adoun-offer-120-cm-dish-199-99-delivered.html

when I got my 120cm dish shipping was probably 150 bucks on it. You would need a better motor like the DG380 which will support that dish. This would give you KU like crazy (nice strong signals) and possibly able to add C-Band to it and get the strong stuff off C-Band

If you dont want to go that extreme, a 90cm would be the next best thing to add. Your SG2100 will control it just fine and you could use the same LNB. Then aim the 80cm at a fixed location (like 30W) or somewhere else...maybe 83W for RTN. I know it sounds stupid but aiming a fixed dish at a satellite can give better results than a motorized ;)

Thanks for the input! I am leaning towards the 90cm so I can still use my motor :) THen where the old dish was I might try to find a Primestar or use my old 8-cm to aim at 83w. Gonna check a few places for the Primestars :)

That 2nd motorized system sounds like a good idea, esp if you like scanning the sats (sports and such), you could cut your scan time in half!
That 120cm dish deal reallllllly makes me want one though!!

careful when you ask for advice:

I have a spot on top of the hill behind my house that should work for the whole arc.
You -have- a hill ? . . .

. . . get a BUD ! - :eek:

There are a hundred threads in the C-band section, where folks have done it.
GO out and get one. Pick a good 'un. There's plenty of info to help you decide.
Then, if you need a new motor/jack for it, see Sadoun.
See Sadoun anyway, for the Gox v3000 dish controller (link in my sig, review here).

edit: I'd suggest a -good- eight foot BUD (2.4m), but if you find a decent 10' and aren't shy, that's fine too.

Last edited:
I have an HOA to deal with.....so I gotta be carefull :)

You -have- a hill ? . . .

. . . get a BUD ! - :eek:

There are a hundred threads in the C-band section, where folks have done it.
GO out and get one. Pick a good 'un. There's plenty of info to help you decide.
Then, if you need a new motor/jack for it, see Sadoun.
See Sadoun anyway, for the Gox v3000 dish controller (link in my sig, review here).

edit: I'd suggest a -good- eight foot BUD (2.4m), but if you find a decent 10' and aren't shy, that's fine too.

Well I think I will go the 90cm route. $89 shipped from Sadoun via ebay seems like a decent deal :) I will then use my 80cm as a stationary dish and aim it at 83w - I think :) THANKS for the input!

After doing a little more looking - I found Satellite AV has a GEoSat 90cm dish and a GeoSat Lnb for $95 shipped. Hmm...looks like a nice setup.

I picked up a couple of the 90 cm 3ABN dishes back when they were real cheap. From what I've read they are pretty much the same as the GeoSat 90cm. I've have been happy with them and especially like the side lnb support arms and overall fit of them. The markings on the dish seem to be accurate as well.

Of course seeing all these post about 1.2m minibuds has me thinking of upgrading!

I should have gotten in on that last year...oh well I kept putting it off! I did just go trim about a foot off of a big limb next door. I can now get 30w again. I get into the high 40's - I used to get high 50" in the winter. BUT it is very cloudy and raining today.

I think I will put the new 90cm where I have my current setup. I am thinking of putting the old 80cm on the hill for either 30w or 83w. I still got room for that c band........ I can hide it I think :)

Thanks! The swap out should be easy. For now I am just going to swap out the dish and lnb. So I won't have mush setup at all. Then will find a use for the old 80cm :)

Thanks! I figured I would motor to "0" or TS so that I would have an easier time working on it :) Between the time I upgrade and this fall I will select the "perfect" spot for the 2nd dish and either move the motorized to it or point the extra dish somewhere :) I have not done much FTA in the last 2 years, and have missed it. Other than watching RTN, THIS or a few bits here and ther I have been out of the loop. I been watching Retro Jams on 123w this evening :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)