Suggestions on upgrading my setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I had my Primestar setup in a temp setup - in a bucket with ceent in it. It blew over and landed on the arm and that inturn broke the fiberglass and the arm off :(

Well it was a good day for me today :) I finally got a chance to go to the shooting range. Shot rifles, shotgun and pistols. Got home and a BIG box was waiting for me. My Geosat Pro 90cm arrived! I got her all put together. Looks nice! The Geosat Bullet LNB is small! I was in a hurry because I had to pick my daughter up from school and head to work. I set the elevation like it showed in the motor manual - 23.5. No go. So I set the elevation to what my old Fortec 80cm was set to - about 28. Head inside and I got signal! At the moment it is about the same as before, but I have not yet peaked it. So I am very happy - just a guess on the positioning and I got signal :) So hopefully in the next day or 2 I can get her peaked :) Package was sturd and no dents or dings! :)

I assume that the left edge of the painted metal is the "mark" to use on the elevation scale? That is what I have used on all of my dishes :) The DigiPower book showed my dish elevation to be 23.5. That's what I tried first. Ah well, I am setting at what I was at before without even peaking the dish yet :)

On a side note, my mother is a QVC shop a holic. She bought last year a portable tv/radio/flashlight/siren thingy. It has RCA inputs and 75ohm. PERFECT for working on the dish! I have an extra coax run that I am going to hook to the output of my receiver and leave it so that at anytime I can just hook into and use the tv to do any adjustments. No need to bring the receiver out :)

I think the old 80cm will be aimed to 30w.......wil probably try out 83w to see if that helps things. I am going to make a protable "skid/sled" type of mount for it so that I can move it around the yard easily to find the right spot :)

Well....I spent about 3 hours peaking and running new cables today. I am not pleased. After much tweaking, and seeing no increase in signal strength, I took off the new lnb - the Geosat Bullet and replaced it with my Fortec Universal .3db. I was able to see some - very small increase in signal. But, overall I see little to no gain, and now I can't even get RTN :( I checked out my motor - the motor arm seems like there is too much play in it. If I press on either side of the dish, I can move the dish enough that I loose signal. Everything is tight, with the exception of the motor arm.

I am very disappointed. My signal bounces from 30's-60's - not sure if that is s fluke with the Mercury II, as this is a different receiver than what I originally used to setup with. So, when I have time I am going to take the old dish and see what I get with it on top of my hill at the various birds. Maybe I need a new motor? A different receiver? Dunno :(

I might also ask this: If I were to replace my motor, any recommendations? I have had 2 Digi Power SG2100's - the first one I tightened the connectors with a wrch and broke them, and this one I have had for approx 2 years. Also, what is a good receiver? I like one with a good meter so that set up is easy :) THANKS!

I went to Home Depot today and bought a 12' tree trimmer. Got the 2 trees next door trimmed. 30w is now in the 50's :)

This shows how far FTA hobbiest will go to get a slight increase in Signal!:D Who says this hobby is not an addiction?:)

Larry
The geosatpro LNB's you need to push about 3/4" in from the holder (towards the dish) for optimum signal

THANKS! I found that out when I was peaking the dish. I ended up going back to the Fortec lnb. My only issue now is that I can hardly get 89w and on 83w it is either booming, or hardly coming in at all. :(

OK, here are some pics of my upgraded setup - hope to not bore you :) I am going to order a new motor so setup is not done yet :)

Attachments

• ftadish.jpg
    ftadish.jpg
    808.1 KB · Views: 87
Here are pics of the elevation settings.

Attachments

• ftamotorelev.jpg
    ftamotorelev.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 84
  • ftadishelev.jpg
    ftadishelev.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 81
Here is what my dish looks like at 30w. Also, the pic of the sky is a shot I took with the camera sitting on the lnb arm. Notice how I had to do some tree trimming :)

Attachments

• fta30w.jpg
    fta30w.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 84
  • fta30wa.jpg
    fta30wa.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 85
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Looking for a Manhattan Plaza 550 ST

Both converter boxes have to be on???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)