Sunstar ST-5000HD DVB-S2 HD HDMI receiver for $44 shipped

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Not yet , got one of those $20 headphone decoder's packed away somewhere . But I thought it hooked up to my CS5000 with a small black plastic connecter , never tried rca cables .
Did you try connecting an AC3 decoder to that "coaxial" on the back? It looks like a spdif coaxial.

... or, even simpler, is there sound on those stations through the HDMI connector?
That's where I'd be lookin'. :)

Not yet , got one of those $20 headphone decoder's packed away somewhere . But I thought it hooked up to my CS5000 with a small black plastic connecter , never tried rca cables .

I always use the optical spdif which most STB units have (plastic connector), but the coaxal (RCA cable with 75 ohm impedence) should work also provided you find a digital sound input on a decoder. HDMI will carry AC3 sound, but my 2 year old LCD TV will not decode the PBS stations. I suspect that the latest, high-end LED smart TVs can decode it.

HDMI will carry AC3 sound, but my 2 year old LCD TV will not decode the PBS stations. I suspect that the latest, high-end LED smart TVs can decode it.

are you talking this receiver? I know the MIcroHD will decode AC3 just fine through the HDMI. I have an older Panny plasma

Yeah most of these newer receivers decode the AC3 right in the receiver.

Yeah most of these newer receivers decode the AC3 right in the receiver.

I would have to disagree. Not all HD receivers output decoded AC3 via HDMI and/or RCA. Many pass through for external decoding. You cannot assume that an ALI 3601 chipset will decode and output AC3 audio. The 3601 chipset is available with or without AC3 decoding. The AC3 version is available at an extra cost.

North American examples of current HD receivers not decoding are the Traxis and the AZFox. Both output AC3 for external decoding.

Thanks Brian that it is good to know, yes that is what I did assume, based on ALI 3601. Also good...errr bad to know about the Traxis. I learned two things.

I think they have done a good job of going through and fixing the specs on the website, and it actually looks like an interesting receiver.

They even posted a video. (And note no SCART connector.)

[youtube]9SMwsAsd8ak[/youtube]

Actually looks like it could be a nice receiver, the only concerns I would have (since I have a screwed up setup here) would be motor control, I don't see any mention of that in the specs. And thats one thing I need to have. :)

Looking forward to seeing some reviews!

Huh, now they are more completed specs including the addition of Dolby audio decoder and Component Composite Outputs!!

c/p
We've seen some confusion online surrounding the Oceansat ST-5000HD DVB-S2 HD HDMI Receiver. We'd like to clarify that this receiver:
  1. Does Support HDMI Version 1.3
  2. Has a Dolby Audio Decoder
  3. Has a USB Port on the front-right side of the unit for Software Upgrades and support of PVR Function
  4. The unit comes with free A/V cables, but you will need to get your own HDMI cable
  5. FCC Approved

Just ordered one! I know I'm a n00b, but will try my best to play with it and let you all know how it works. It will be connected via HDMI to my Pioneer Elite receiver, and finally a Samsung LCD TV.

well thank you for your purchase. We will get that out to you asap. Apparently a few people would like to know what u think, lol. We will get that out asap, please allow up to a week for a west coast delivery.

Here's an installation tip for u. They are shipped with the hdmi setting at 1080p 50hz. If u have a black screen, your TV set does not support 1080p 50hz.

Plug in the standard yellow rca connector,downgrade the signal to 480i, re install the hdmi cable and start experimenting.

U have any questions at all, the phone number on the site is my cell, call me and I'll help u any way i can.

oceansatellite,

Any specs on the demodulation? most dvb-s2 would have qpsk, and 8psk standard, so I asume this would, correct? Any others like 16qam on there?

I just ordered 2 of this box from paintforcars waiting on them to come in probably Monday or Tuesday

I currently have 1 6' WSInternational with a B1SAT lnbf 24 inch acme thread arm 7 Various size fixed KU dish's with band stacked lnbs wired to multiple 8x1 switches with hi freq splitters 1 pansat 2700 1 pansat 2800 1 pansat 250sm 1 openbox s10 and soon 2 sunstar st-500 hd

Bugsy1 said:
I just ordered 2 of this box from paintforcars waiting on them to come in probably Monday or Tuesday

I currently have 1 6' WSInternational with a B1SAT lnbf 24 inch acme thread arm 7 Various size fixed KU dish's with band stacked lnbs wired to multiple 8x1 switches with hi freq splitters 1 pansat 2700 1 pansat 2800 1 pansat 250sm 1 openbox s10 and soon 2 sunstar st-500 hd

Two of them :)

Not 100% sure till Monday but I think a sub $100 STB will be shipping soon from Digiwave that does 4:2:2 :) :) :)

I emailed the specs to KE4EST. Hope he will post I'm at a boat port getting ready to leave and don't want to pay .55 a min to post something lol.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts