Status
Please reply by conversation.

acuevas

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Orange County
Hi All,

I am trying to bring my FTA experience up a notch. I rigged up a SuperDish and small white horn style LNB. The goal is to hit sat 125 (AMC 21). I am at Brea, CA ( So Cal) and my readings are: EL 49.8 / AZ 179.5 / Skew 10.4L ( or 100.4 ).

The brackets I used place the LNB about 1 inch higher than the original lnb. But, I "leveled" it ( see pic with pencil ) so that it points stright down the same focal point path as the original bracket and lnb. I think this should work. Like I mentioned earlier I'm pointing at sat 125 and I am unable to get any green bars, in the manual scan menu, for any of the TPs. I'm also not sure if this lnb requires a special set up in my Coolsat 4K Pro. Any suggestions are most welcomed, even if it's to advise that I will be spinning my wheels. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC03986.JPG
    DSC03986.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC03987.JPG
    DSC03987.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC03988.JPG
    DSC03988.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC03989.JPG
    DSC03989.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC03990.JPG
    DSC03990.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
3 things come to mind:

1) the original LNBF would have worked... it'd just be bandstacked (the one marked FSS)
2) being an inch high is not a good idea... rework the bracketry to lower the LNBF
3) the LNBF you are using is designed for a prime focus dish, so it will work poorly with an offset dish

As Anole said, the lnbf is TOO high, the dish is designed for a specific offset elevation and when you modify the height of the LNBF it also changes your elevation scale on the dish, this means that if the specific elevation of a satellite is 49.8° then you'll find it to be lower. The higher you mount the LNBF on the feed arm the lower the elevation will be. So if you're going strickly by the specs with a modified dish, you most likely will NOT get any signal from any satellite. It will be a hit and miss issue, wandering in the dark, panning the dish to find a signal until you recalculate the difference in elevation and subtract that from the specs. Also consider the distance from the dish, the focal point is extremely critical, moreso than elevation which can usually be compensated for, there is no compensation for focal distance.

I modified two super dishes to use the Digiwave Dual KU-Band LNBF DGL990D. I could have used the original FSS lnb but for what ever reason decided not to do it that way.

The nice thing about the digiwave lnb is that I just had to drill one hole .400 from the end of the feed arm. then one hole 1.0 from the side to side. the feed arm on mine is 2.0 wide. the Digiwave lnb fits right in the end of the feed arm and looks nice. Works great so far. They are cheap if you choose not to use the FSS lnb.

Sorry above is wrong on the measurements. the hole is a single hole. it is .400 from the end and 1.0 inch from the side of the feed arm.

Thanks to all of you for saving me time. I don't have the original lnb so I took the lnb off of a prime focus dish I have. I also want to use the equipment that I do have before I start buying - money is very scarce right now.

The reason I was trying to use this lnb with this dish is because the dish is easier to aim than the prime focus one ( this is just my impression ). This prime focus dish has no markings of any kind.

I think I'll try setting up the prime focus dish and have a go at aiming that one instead. Thanks again to all of you.

Last edited:
forgot to mentioned that this Sat is very tricky, when turning the LNB around (skew) you will need to have patient and go very very slow....... until you get some signal. Finally I haven't being able to open LIFETIME , I think its HD and there are others like Create and V-Me that used AC3 audio so if your box doen't decode AC3 you will need to get an external decoder for them.

I don't think Lifetime Real Women is even there anymore.

Pansat PF 7700 lnbf

Just to add to the good advice you already received, you should get a signal if the Coolsat is set for 10750 L.O. and you adjust the elevation to compensate for mounting the lnbf high.

www.daveswebshop.com/pf-7700.shtml

Like your bracket.

Try 12180 it's strong.

Last edited:
acuevas,
Before I started my Superdish project, I measered the center of the LNB to be 4 5/8" above the LNB arm at a focal length of 22 1/2" with the center plane of the LNB in line with a point 11 1/2 from the bottom of the dish and between the bolts.
Sky

Just to add to the good advice you already received, you should get a signal if the Coolsat is set for 10750 L.O. and you adjust the elevation to compensate for mounting the lnbf high.

www.daveswebshop.com/pf-7700.shtml

Like your bracket.

Try 12180 it's strong.

Thanks again, getting lots of good advice from everyone. What does the "L.O." stand for or mean? And, what is the symbol rate and polarity for TP 12180? Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts