Superstation Status

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I reas in another forum that the supers go away when the analog cutoff happens. Is there any truth to this?

I dont think there is any truth to this.. atleast I havent seen anything that would say otherwise.. If anyone finds out that this RUMOR is true please pm me and post it here :) I would definatly like to verify it.. :)

Well, this isn't too far-fetched. The copyright exemtions only apply to the -TV call letters (not the -DT call letters) in the legislation. There is also a sunset clause. But all this could and probably will change when the issue is taked up by congress again in a few years.

See ya
Tony

I would agree Tony. The current law allows for the superstations throuh 2009----which is the analog cut off date now. But SHVERA also describes copyright payments for digital signals from the supers. I don't think that they intended to cut them off and the common date is largely coincidence.

BTW the poster in the other forum points is maintaining that that the superstations will be considered different entities when they cease analog broadcasting. I am not entirely clear on how he gets there but it might be true.

It is all unclear to me. I don't know if the -DT designation will survive the analog cutoff, or how it will all be treated. But I guess that wew ill see eventiually.