Swanni keeps bashing direc tv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well here is my take on it! Swanni's right! He has been on the money! Directv got lazy with their sat launches due to the sell of the company. The new owners are not doing anything to add basic hd and even worse the competition like dish isn't any better with the lack of hd rsns! Directv sees that it doesn't have to do anything because Charlie over at dish is too cheap to try and acquire d* subs by adding the nich programming such as full time hdrsns to attract directvs subs back to dish. In laymens terms everyone has gotten lazy and the consumers are left holding the bag! It's gotten so bad that my local comcast line up is better than directvs and dishes! They are getting ready to roll out switched digital ip based channels in mpeg4 on my local comcast system! It will be like uverse minus the bandwidth and quality limitations!

Until directv sees a threat in the market place, nothing is going to change! Cry all you want about swanni, but he's 1000 percent on the ball and correct about this one! Like the housing market, directvs sub bubble will burst once the competition gets off of their lazy arce and stops leaving money on the table! Whom ever can become the provider of a 100 percent HD system, will have the market edge!

Well here is my take on it! Swanni's right! He has been on the money! Directv got lazy with their sat launches due to the sell of the company. The new owners are not doing anything to add basic hd and even worse the competition like dish isn't any better with the lack of hd rsns! Directv sees that it doesn't have to do anything because Charlie over at dish is too cheap to try and acquire d* subs by adding the nich programming such as full time hdrsns to attract directvs subs back to dish. In laymens terms everyone has gotten lazy and the consumers are left holding the bag! It's gotten so bad that my local comcast line up is better than directvs and dishes! They are getting ready to roll out switched digital ip based channels in mpeg4 on my local comcast system! It will be like uverse minus the bandwidth and quality limitations!

Until directv sees a threat in the market place, nothing is going to change! Cry all you want about swanni, but he's 1000 percent on the ball and correct about this one! Like the housing market, directvs sub bubble will burst once the competition gets off of their lazy arce and stops leaving money on the table! Whom ever can become the provider of a 100 percent HD system, will have the market edge!

X2 I agree with this post.

You make some valid points. I guess thats why I have more than one provider. Not one provider gives me all that I want.
It would be something If there was a provider that gave you all the choices, sports programming and basic/premium channels under one roof.

Not sure that will happen anytime soon.

I can only dream of a direc/dish merger.
That said look at what happened to sirius\xm merger. I think we lost channels?

Like the housing market, directvs sub bubble will burst once the competition gets off of their lazy arce and stops leaving money on the table! Whom ever can become the provider of a 100 percent HD system, will have the market edge!
100 percent hd system pretty much failed already ala voom.

Taking into consideration that D* is the largest provider and had the greatest amount of growth this past year one would surmise that they are providing what most people want most of the time......can't please everyone. If another provider has a lineup more to your liking, make the move. The cable company's offerings often look good on paper but their infrastucture often can't live up to their promises. Only as good as those old wires will allow.

I can only dream of a direc/dish merger.
That said look at what happened to sirius\xm merger. I think we lost channels?

Dream? No. That would be a nightmare. The XM/Sirius merger is the poster child for why Dish and Directv should never be allowed to merge. It used to be XM was great and Sirius sucked. Now it all sucks. Everything that was great about XM is gone - the deep playlists, the niche channels, ground repeaters, etc. And now with no competition to keep them in check, they're going to raise prices as soon as they possibly can. They actually already have in the form of unbundling Online, raising the price of extra radios, and tacking on that retarded royalty fee (all of which are back-door violations of the merger agreement).

The cable company's offerings often look good on paper but their infrastucture often can't live up to their promises. Only as good as those old wires will allow.

Actually there aren't many areas of the country where cable still has copper (or HFC) infrastructure. They have been actively rebuilding in fiber for over a decade. FTTP (Fiber To The Pole) has serious bandwidth because only the drop to the house is coax.

Last edited:
Where I am there is still a fair amount of copper in the cable system. In fact, there is a copper line on my street. Cox cable has been built out to 950 mhz and I get 30 mb on my internet.

That's why I said 'not many'.. :D But here, there are TWO fiber choices now. The telephone company rolled out their version of Fios a couple years ago, so every house in town has a fiber converter on the side of it, and the mom & pop cable company just finished their fiber to the pole rollout and is offering 50 and 100Mbps internet packages. And this is a little town of about 4,000 surrounded by corn fields. :)

K9SAT said:

Yep I agree as well!

Daddy Dithers said:
Taking into consideration that D* is the largest provider and had the greatest amount of growth this past year one would surmise that they are providing what most people want most of the time......can't please everyone. If another provider has a lineup more to your liking, make the move. The cable company's offerings often look good on paper but their infrastucture often can't live up to their promises. Only as good as those old wires will allow.

In the terms of uverse this is an accurate statement. In the terms of comcast.... Not so much! Comcast has virtually unlimited bandwidth now due to going 100 percent digital and now add in switched ip streams in mpeg 4! In the space one analoge channel can now net them up to 15 in full hd with no quality loss with qam 256 and mpeg 4 switched digital ip streams. The roll out is going to start very soon! Plus with comcast owning alot of the content out there they will be able to offer killer packages and undercut satellite as a good chunk of programming is in house and basically given to their subs for a lower cost!

Direct is complacent with what they have and the revenue coming in vs payout. Why spend money when you can shine the stupid consumer on. More money for the CEO's. All big business is the same spend the least and take in the most.

Last edited:
The problem isn't the merger! It's the people running Siriusxm. The service can be really good if management stops butchering it!

Well that's the problem. They had no business putting Mel Karmazin in charge. He's a total NAB pussy, and he's constantly wiping Stern sperm off his lip.. We wouldn't be having this conversation if Hugh Panero were running the combined company.

In the terms of uverse this is an accurate statement. In the terms of comcast.... Not so much! Comcast has virtually unlimited bandwidth now due to going 100 percent digital and now add in switched ip streams in mpeg 4! In the space one analoge channel can now net them up to 15 in full hd with no quality loss with qam 256 and mpeg 4 switched digital ip streams. The roll out is going to start very soon! Plus with comcast owning alot of the content out there they will be able to offer killer packages and undercut satellite as a good chunk of programming is in house and basically given to their subs for a lower cost!

Only issue is, Comcast is Different in different cities.
Yours may be GREAT, but the next city, maybe not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)