Swanni keeps bashing direc tv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
my feelings are that every provider skews their numbers.

I have had 3 of the 4 providers, Dish, DirecTV and Time Warner.

And yes, DirecTV is the best to me, even without all national HD feeds. And while I am a Sunday Ticket sub, I dont subscribe for that as my purpose of being with them. I just honestly can't stand Cable or Dish Network.

1st off, Cable is always claiming they NEVER go out. They have the best technology. News flash Time Warner, your tv does go out, When I had it, and when I dog sit for the people who have it. The feeds also suck, they are grainy. And look bad, even their HD feeds. Whats worse is, it goes out more times on their HD feeds than the SD feeds.

Now equipment, they have some of the worst that i have seen. While they look terrible, they are even worse when using. I have had them restart, freeze where u cant switch the channel. Now maybe it is the box being bad, but why does everytime I have them come out to my friends house, when I am their, they say Nah, your box is fine.

Makes no sense to me.

now Dish, I had them for over a yr, before leaving them. Now I dont like the fact of paying to lease a receiver, but It is cheaper with DirecTV. Dish wanted 300 for a HD Box, not HD DVR, and then 199 for the HD Satellite dish. On top of that their prices are outrageous. Yes, they have low prices, when you are a 1st time sub, like directv, twc and comcast.

I paid about 109.00 a month with Dish, and pay like 115 with DirecTV before any type of Sports Subs like NBA, MLB and NFL.

But while the price is higher with DirecTV, I didnt have HD with Dish. And unfortunately I pay the 10.00 for HD. At the moment I am unable to do auto bill pay. What was worse was the receiver fees. I was paying like 6 a month for my 2nd receiver, then it jumped by 9 bucks a month. And yes I had a Duo one.

Back to pricing, TWC I think has as bad pricing as Dish.

When with them, I was paying the 60 ish for the Cable Digital part. 7.99 or so for each additional box, and if I wanted multiple DVRs, like I have with DirecTV, its 12.95 for the 1st DVR service, and then like 8 each other if you have the all in one or something like that. It may of changed, since its been 2 years since I had them. I think the cable price went up to 68.95 in my area.

Not counting pay channels and rsn and all the other extra money stuff, there appears to be just as many HD's out there D* doesn't carry as they do carry. May not be something You watch but someone does.

Really? I count 14 that Dish has and D* doesn't. Not including anything you have to pay extra for, or 'wish list' channels that don't have an HD feed like Sleuth and Chiller.

AMC
BBCA
Cooking
DIY
E!
GSN
Hint
HLN
NASA
Nat Geo Wild
OWN
RFDTV (shouldn't count because it's only included free in certain rural areas, it's technically a pay channel)
Style
TruTV
TCM

But there are 60+ non-premium, non RSN channels already in HD. Sooooo yeah.. Where do you get 'just as many that they don't carry as they do carry'?

Last edited:
When the number of channels is in the dozens, it is far from a "small handful".

It's all relative. Dish doesn't carry any of the NY rsns. How can Dish claim to be a real company without them? See, that's hyperbole, much like what you post about Directv!

I want to say that the crux of Swann consistently bashing D* is due to an incident to occurred with one of his relatives (his father I think) a few years back. I could not find anything online, but I seem to remember that this person wanted to cancel his service and was given an ETF. Swann wrote about this experience on his website and since then (at least it seems to me) he takes any opportunity to criticize D*. Some of the criticism has been without basis, but others have been spot on.

Again, what 'dozens'? A dozen.
You listed 15 yourself. You missed channels such as Africa, Cars.TV, Centric, Comedy.TV, the CSPANs, ES.TV, EWTN, Fashion TV, Fearnet, Halogen, HSN, LMN, Logo, MyDestination.TV, OWN, Outdoor Channel, Ovation, Pentagon, Pets.TV, QVC, Recipe.TV, Reelz, Sportsman, Sprout, TBN, The Hub, TV Guide, TV One, Veria, We, Wealth, WFN, etc. Together, we've come up with almost three dozen.

Some of the above could be considered premiums for DIRECTV: Outdoor, Sportsman and certainly more than a few make you go huh.

That DIRECTV doesn't offer the SD versions of some of these channels stems, at least in some cases, from them being substantially hamstrung for SD capacity.

The point is that there are a lot more than one dozen non-RSN, non-sports, non-premium plex channels that DIRECTV doesn't carry.

You listed 15 yourself. You missed channels such as Africa, Cars.TV, Centric, Comedy.TV, the CSPANs, ES.TV, EWTN, Fashion TV, Fearnet, Halogen, HSN, LMN, Logo, MyDestination.TV, OWN, Outdoor Channel, Ovation, Pentagon, Pets.TV, QVC, Recipe.TV, Reelz, Sportsman, Sprout, TBN, The Hub, TV Guide, TV One, Veria, We, Wealth, WFN, etc. Together, we've come up with almost three dozen.

Some of the above could be considered premiums for DIRECTV: Outdoor, Sportsman and certainly more than a few make you go huh.

That DIRECTV doesn't offer the SD versions of some of these channels stems, at least in some cases, from them being substantially hamstrung for SD capacity.

The point is that there are a lot more than one dozen non-RSN, non-sports, non-premium plex channels that DIRECTV doesn't carry.

Uhhhh, SCUSE ME? Back that bullsh*t truck up there buddy, because you are SO wrong it's laughable.

First of all, neither Directv nor Dish carries ANY of those ".TV" channels at all. They are basically Fios exclusives.

Second, Fashion TV, Centric, and Logo are part of the Platinum pack on Dish which costs $10 a month, so they are premium and don't count.

Dish dumped Reelz HD on May 4. They also don't carry Africa, Fearnet, Halogen, TV One, and Wealth (whatever the f that is) at all. Period, SD or HD.

Dish also doesnt carry CSPAN, EWTN, HSN, QVC, Outdoor channel, Ovation, Pentagon, Sprout, TBN, The Hub, TV Guide, We, or WFN in HD. They are SD ONLY on Dish. Most of these don't even HAVE an HD feed. (Oh, and NASA is SD too, which I mistakenly thought was available in HD on Dish). HSN and QVC are a total waste of bandwidth to put in HD, I don't care who you are, those are the LAST two channels that should get a shot at being in HD anywhere.

I already said OWN.

Directv doesn't carry Veria at all so it doesn't count. Sorry.

So you got me with what, LMN and Sportsman? So when you subtract NASA and RFDTV from my original count, we're still at 15. So yeah.. I see a dozen plus 3. Not "DOZENS" with an "S" as you are insisting.

If you want to bitch at one company for "dropping the ball" on HD, you can't start manufacturing crap to make a bigger stink. There is no way you can bitch at Directv for the lack of the channels you named above (almost all of which are TINY niche) without bitching at Dish too, because THEY don't have them either. I'll give you most of the 15 I already mentioned, because they are for the most part mainstream channels. But you aren't going to tack on channels that they don't even carry in SD just to make your argument look better..

Why don't you ask Dish customers how their kids like their ABC Family/Disney/XD in HD.. Or ask Dish customers in the NYC DMA who are Devils/Rangers/Islanders/Sabres/Knicks/Nets/Pirates/Yankees/Mets fans how they like being able to watch their teams at all.. Oh, wait..

Last edited:

Wow, most of these I've never even HEARD of and they expect them in HD ?
Bold= Do we REALLY NEED this in HD ? Great way to use bandwidth ?
Italics= never heard of it. This is REALLY a channel that has good enough RATINGS that it NEEDS to be added to D*.

I'd MUCH rather have QUALITY over quantity.

Or ask Dish customers in the NYC DMA who are Devils/Rangers/Islanders/Sabres/Knicks/Nets/Pirates/Yankees/Mets fans how they like being able to watch their teams at all.. Oh, wait..

FYI.....Its not just the NYC DMA who are affected, Its the entire state of New York. SUBs in the WNY (Buffalo Area) get to enjoy STO - Sports Time Ohio to enjoy as a RSN. What a joke that is!

I'm guessing if you added all of the viewers of those stations that Harsh mentioned, whether on Dish or not, they wouldn't add up to the numbers that COULD be watching a Yankees games on YES if Dish carried it!

When did this become about what DISH Network does or doesn't carry?

The question was "basic" HD channels that DIRECTV doesn't carry. If you pull out the FIOS "exclusives", there's still more than 2 dozen and that clearly qualifies as "dozens" as opposed to "a small handful".

When did this become about what DISH Network does or doesn't carry?

The question was "basic" HD channels that DIRECTV doesn't carry. If you pull out the FIOS "exclusives", there's still more than 2 dozen and that clearly qualifies as "dozens" as opposed to "a small handful".

It became about Dish, when you, a Dish sub, started in about all of the channels that Directv doesn't carry! You really are very transparent. Goose and the gander you know!

It became about Dish, when you, a Dish sub, started in about all of the channels that Directv doesn't carry!
My involvement started when someone posted decidedly misleading information about HD channels that DIRECTV doesn't carry. It doesn't have anything at all to do with service(s) I subscribe to. To make it so is a blatant campaign to build on/perpetuate the deception.

harsh there are channels there that i wouldn't want directv wasting their time or bandwidth on anyway. for example wfn,ewtn,fashion tv, hsn,logo,pentagon,qvc and tbn. there are two or three on that list i've never heard of so i can't say anything about them. this list does confirm for me why i left dish to begin with.one of the reasons why anyway. directv has more of what i want and dish has more of what i don't want in programming. your list of channels above confirms this for me. there's no doubt that Dish has Directv beat in the amount of national HD channels they carry but it all depends on who is really interested in those channels in your list. I don't want more just to say i have more.

FYI.....Its not just the NYC DMA who are affected, Its the entire state of New York. SUBs in the WNY (Buffalo Area) get to enjoy STO - Sports Time Ohio to enjoy as a RSN. What a joke that is!

I realize that.. It was easier to just mention the Sabres than try to figure out a good way to word it.. :) But it doesn't change the fact that 8 pro teams and one Big 10 team in the largest market in the country don't have their games carried on Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)