Status
Please reply by conversation.

lern4483

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
Pompano beach, Fl
I actually enjoy reading his column.
However all I've been reading lately is his attacks on Direc tv.

To be honest all tv carriers stretch the truth. So what!

While Direc probably is missing some wanted hd channels it certainly serves me well.

Outstanding quality and all the sports I can take.

Leave them alone Swanni! It's getting old.

i think he had some kind of personal issue with diretv a couple of years ago. anyway swanni is a moron. he's been predicting the merger of D* and E* for the longest time. i'm sure one day he'll get it right :rolleyes:

no offense to you lern :)

If the ratio of axe grinding to interesting content has become too high, perhaps it is time to suspend or stop reading.

He even made a mistake in his latest article.

"At the end of the list of the channels, DIRECTV notes that it also has "
36 DIRECTV CINEMA HD channels and 1 DIRECTV CINEMA 3D channel." That brings its total to 175 HD channels, which would seem to satisfy the headline of 'Over 170 Channels.' But there's a problem with that logic. You see, 'DIRECTV Cinema' is the company's fancy name for Video on Demand channels. That's right. DIRECTV includes 37 Video on Demand channels in its HD channel count on the same page in which it scolds Dish Network for counting Video on Demand channels in its HD channel count.
"

They're not VOD channels, they're PPV channels. That's why D* counts them:) Look, I don't care for Swanni either, but he does make a point that D*, or any TV provider for that matter, shouldn't inflate their actual HD count with PPV/VOD and just tell it like it is. Right now, according to the AVS HD chart, D* has 129 actual HD channels (98 Basic, 31 premiums) so that's what D* should advertise. Not everyone cares about PPV and VOD.

Make no mistake; DIRECTV would kill to be able to offer cable-style VOD. It is one of the few significant negatives in their programming offerings as compared with cable.

Make no mistake; DIRECTV would kill to be able to offer cable-style VOD. It is one of the few significant negatives in their programming offerings as compared with cable.

That would be nice. Netflix can stream instantly as can YouTube and a number of online video sources (Revision 3, cnn, bbc i player, vimeo, hbo go, etc). I have a 12mbps pipe coming in. You'd think the receiver could detect that and give me two options when on demand. Instant streaming or record to hard drive. I have 2 HD boxes (H21 and H24) that of course don't have hard drives, so instant streaming would be great for them. Even on my DVR (HR24) instant streaming would be a great option instead of going two places. I guess we were spoiled with Comcast's on demand along with E!, Style, We, AMC, ID, GSN, G4, TruTV, HLN, TCM and other HD channels they offered. Too bad we moved out of their service area.

Swanni doesn't even know what a linear channel is, which is the method DirecTV uses to count HD channels. An HD channel could show a fireplace, but it would still be a linear channel.

Man, this guy KNOWS EVERYTHING !!!!

Read the first few paragraphs, he predicted all of this, Damn he's good. :rolleyes:

He said that D* (after turning up a HUGE amount of HD channels in '07) would slow down thier HD channel additions ... Imagine that.

He says they have added about 30 channels of HD, mostly HBO and Cinemax .... Hmmm, thats ODD, didn't they just add the addl. HBO and Cinemax a few weeks ago ?

What a prediction .... and he made them 2 years ago.

Man, this guy KNOWS EVERYTHING !!!!

Read the first few paragraphs, he predicted all of this, Damn he's good. :rolleyes:

He said that D* (after turning up a HUGE amount of HD channels in '07) would slow down thier HD channel additions ... Imagine that.

He says they have added about 30 channels of HD, mostly HBO and Cinemax .... Hmmm, thats ODD, didn't they just add the addl. HBO and Cinemax a few weeks ago ?

What a prediction .... and he made them 2 years ago.

Maybe he has a crystal ball :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)