Swapping dTV Receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Twistedben

Original poster
Jul 12, 2017
North royalton, ohio
Hello everyone,

I want to thank you in advanced for the help.

I recently purchased a 4K TV. However, when I had my DirecTV installed a year ago, the "main" receiver (3 total) was installed in my bedroom where I rarely watch TV. The main receiver I was told is the only one to support 4K, but I put the new 4K TV in my family room that had one of the "non" 4K receivers. According to my online account, these models are: HR54-200. My question is can I swap the two: move the 4K receiver into the family room and move the non-4K one into my bedroom and do a simple swap? My install guy at the time said I'd need to have techs come out to do it, but I don't see why that's necessary, unless I'm missing something that I don't understand. I am extremely techy but with Computer Hardware and Networking, not so much with this area of technology besides the obvious basics. Would there be a way for me to do this myself; is it a simple swap; or do I need to get the techs out here to do it? I contacted DirecTV, he said he'd send me an email on how to do it, and lo behold, the email contained a dead 404 link.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Twistedben!

The HR54-200 is a Genie that supports 4k but doesn't have an output for it. You need the C61k client for that, so make sure the 4k tv is connected to the C61k client.

Chip, what do you mean exactly by that?
The HR54-200 will process 4k but it doesn't have an output to connect to a tv that will show 4k. That's what you need the C61k client for. It is the only box that Directv has right now that will output 4k. Do you have one of them in your setup?

Yes, I have one C61K-700 in the bedroom, and two HR54. Currently the HR54 is on the 4K new TV I got. Sorry for not including that exact model number for the one I would like to swap.

That's my question: Can I take the C61K-700 in my bedroom and simply swap it out with the HR54-200 in my family room that has the new 4K TV? And by this I mean, is it as simple as unplugging both receivers and swapping their locations or is their a special process involved that would require a tech from DTV? Or is it a simple hardware swap?

Thanks guys, sorry for not understanding at first.

Yes you can swap them, but you may need to swap the cables where they all connect to a splitter if you don't have a separate power inserter. Figure out which cables come from which boxes. I'm sure you will find the one from the HR54 goes on the power passing port of the splitter. You can tell which one is the power passing port by the red line on the splitter. That cable has to connect to the HR54 IF you don't have a separate power inserter, which I suspect you don't. As to dram's question, you only have one HR54, correct?

I have two HR54's, one C61K. I do have some complex splitters going down in the basement, where a AC power wall wart is connected to an outlet. I assume that's the separate power inserter you mentioned? If I have that separate power source, then the red power passing port doesn't matter and all I have to do is swap the two?

2 genies? wow, nice
hope you neve have to move or change anything

from what i have read, well you wont have 2 after that

I won't be moving any time soon, lol. But as I've said, I do need to change the two to get that 4K receiver in the family room. Maybe I should just try it, but I want to know what to expect. Should I upload some pictures, Chip? Of what's in my basement and my current set up?

I have two HR54's, one C61K. I do have some complex splitters going down in the basement, where a AC power wall wart is connected to an outlet. I assume that's the separate power inserter you mentioned? If I have that separate power source, then the red power passing port doesn't matter and all I have to do is swap the two?
Yes, just swap them. You should be fine. I'm confused on the two HR54s though. How did you get them both authorized? To this point only one has been allowed on an account.

Reactions: Twistedben
Well, now you guys have me doubting myself.

When I go to swap them, I'll report back and double check all the model numbers to either correct myself or let you know if there are in fact two. I trust you guys more than myself so you're probably right.

I'll try the swap tomorrow and get back to you guys. Thanks so much for the help, especially you, Chip!

Reactions: raoul5788
Well, now you guys have me doubting myself.

When I go to swap them, I'll report back and double check all the model numbers to either correct myself or let you know if there are in fact two. I trust you guys more than myself so you're probably right.

I'll try the swap tomorrow and get back to you guys. Thanks so much for the help, especially you, Chip!
Glad to help, that's what we are here for!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)