Switches good for outdoors?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I'm looking for an 8x1 switch that will be OK in an outside damp, wet environment where it will occasionally be rained on.

I currently have an Amiko 8x1 switch and we got some very heavy rain yesterday and it started flaking out (intermittent signal loss on different inputs)

Thanks in advance

Most all switches other than the Amiko D-8/1 claim to be suitable for outdoor use. For its part, the Amiko D-8/1 is clearly marketed as an indoor-only device (though that may not have been the case when you bought it).
Amiko web site said:
Premium D-8/1 Indoor
Fully DiSEqC 1.1 compliant
For switching between 8 Satellites
Frequency Range: 950~2150MHz
Insertion Loss: 3dB
Power Passing: 500mA (max)
For indoor usage

Are you certain that the clouds weren't the problem (beam dispersion) as opposed to the rain?

The switch looks like it isn't far from being at least water resistant although I see that they've made their 10-way switch "outdoor" capable with the addition of a plastic clam shell enclosure.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Most all switches other than the Amiko D-8/1 claim to be suitable for outdoor use. For its part, the Amiko D-8/1 is clearly marketed as an indoor-only device (though that may not have been the case when you bought it).

Yep, that's the one I have. No wonder it's malfunctioning. I didn't realize it was an indoor-only switch.

All my outdoor devices and connections are housed in poly utility boxes. Unused ports are covered with non terminating caps or a touch of silicone sealant.

Amazon product ASIN B00G7SNKVU
619p-EanYIL._SL1241_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B005UPANU2

Most switches, unless stated otherwise are NOT weather proof. I too like Brian above said, use an outdoor weather proof box.

Reactions: danristheman
BTW, I have gotten away with putting 8X1 switches outside in the rain. They are sealed, BUT.... water will seep in through the unused ports. So like Brian said, I cap them off with little water tight caps I have for F-Connectors. Don't use the 75 ohm terminators.

BTW, I have gotten away with putting 8X1 switches outside in the rain. They are sealed, BUT.... water will seep in through the unused ports. So like Brian said, I cap them off with little water tight caps I have for F-Connectors. Don't use the 75 ohm terminators.

These are the terminators I put on the unused ports. Are these the right kind?

f-type-terminator-.5-watt-1.jpg

If you use those, break that stinger out of it. No need for terminated loads on unused ports with these types of switches.
Then put a dab of silicon in there before screwing on.

If you have any spare connectors, particularly if you have a bag you do not like, use them and put some silicone sealant to fill the end where the cable would go. (I know I have bag that I regret buying as they are awful) This will protect the unused connectors. Also, if you cover the connector part of the switch and paint the switch with a clear plastic paint it will seal and protect the switch against the rain. I would still put the switch in something to protect it from the weather. Even an old peanut butter jar will give it some protection. Cut a hole in the lid and tape it upside down to a post. It can breathe out the hole in the bottom and keep the rain off the switch. If you want it to look good, a proper enclosure is the way to go. If cables are making a u bend to go into the enclosure, a cable tie or something at the bottom of the U will help keep the water from running back up the cable into the enclosure. Yes water can run uphill, at least for a short distance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts