Switching From E*, Couple Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bondoo0

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
So I finally decided to make the switch to D* for the HR34's 5 Tuners (also getting a HD DVR, and HD Receiver), but I have a couple of questions that I haven't seen answered. I will be modulating the HD Receiver to some seldom used SD TV's, and so I'll need a couple of additional UHF remotes. I was hoping to find out what model to get, and if I can order it now, or if I need to wait to see what model HD receiver I get?

The second question, is actually more of a confirmtion that if I have the HR34 plugged into wired ethernet, I won't need to plug the other receivers into ethernet since the 34 should share the connection through the coax?

Thanks,
Mike

Remote, wait for the tech and just slip in a $10 and ask for an extra RF remote regardless of model they'll have one since they're all the same now.

Internet, yes. They will share via coax

Hope you enjoy the 34! It has it's bugs BUT once them are worked out it will be a great receiver to have!

Hutch nails it. If the installer won't provide some RF remotes they are around $25 from Directv, or $10-$15 on ebay.

Hutch nails it. If the installer won't provide some RF remotes they are around $25 from Directv, or $10-$15 on ebay.

I'll try the installer route (keeping fingers crossed). If that fails, is there a model I should be looking for on ebay (I'm used to Dish having different remotes for 622/922 and now Hopper, not sure if Direct works that way or not)? I see RC65R's listed as UHF, but just want to make sure I know what I'm looking for.

I'll try the installer route (keeping fingers crossed). If that fails, is there a model I should be looking for on ebay (I'm used to Dish having different remotes for 622/922 and now Hopper, not sure if Direct works that way or not)? I see RC65R's listed as UHF, but just want to make sure I know what I'm looking for.

The 65's are the newest ones out, they will have the most codes available.

Just a quick note to the OP. If you will be modulating the signal to SD sets around your house, you may want to pick up a Component to Composite adapter. Once the HR-34 gets the HD-GUI, using the Composite output of the HR-34 forces you to change your output resolution on your HR-34 to SD in order to use the remote or see your guide or DVR list. They can be found for about $40 from Monoprice.com.

Just a quick note to the OP. If you will be modulating the signal to SD sets around your house, you may want to pick up a Component to Composite adapter. Once the HR-34 gets the HD-GUI, using the Composite output of the HR-34 forces you to change your output resolution on your HR-34 to SD in order to use the remote or see your guide or DVR list. They can be found for about $40 from Monoprice.com.

Agreed!

Also be aware that there is no Coax output on the receiver, unlike with your Dish equipment.

Not that no coax output is a bad thing, just remember with Dish you almost had to mirror other televisions to avoid all their crazy fees. Atleast with Directv, its only $6 per additional receiver, so you could almost afford just to get an additional receiver for your SD Televisions.

The no coax isn't a big deal. I'm sort of on the fence since it is only $6 for another receiver, but since I only watch the other TV's a couple hours a year I'm leaning towards modulating instead of paying the fee.

I just want to make sure I understand the modulating issues. So will both the HD DVR (I'm hoping for a HR24) act the same with composite output once the HD GUI is released (I'm currently planning on modulating the 24)? Also is it a nag message on composite output when set to HD resolution, or does it just turn off the composite output if set for HD resolution?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)