System repair

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sprprsnmn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2006
Where I work, there used to be a big dish setup. According to a guy who worked here then, some time ago, a wind storm messed something up. The original tech who oversaw the installation of the satellite dish is long gone. It hasn't been used in probably 3 or 4 years.

What do I need to look for to see if the setup is fixable? I checked the dish itself, it's looks to be a 7.5' or so sized dish and without noticeable damage, to my amateur eye. The pole doesn't seem to be bent or mangled. The receiver is an old Toshiba TRX-80.

What are some troubleshooting steps to perform?

Total newbie here.

Yeah, it's at work, but someone asked me to check on it, so it counts as "work related," IMHO.

Turning the receiver on and selecting any satellite that it has programmed into it and there's naught but a blank snowy screen. If it has "lost the arc" how do I go about telling it where it is?

Check the mount (where the pole the dish is mounted on ) it should have at least four Bolts that clamp the dish to the pole and prevent it from swiviling. These may be loose enough that the wind swiveled the dish on the pole. mark the pole and the mount with a pencil or marker. Also check to see that the dish did not move up and down, there could be a turnbuckle or something like that allows for the azimuth adjustments see if it is loose.
I added two shots as examples... (hot out there) Red circles are the hold down bolts, blue are the azimuth adjustments

Attachments

• Bud.JPG
    Bud.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 179
  • Bud mesh.JPG
    Bud mesh.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 141
try moving it

You will probably have to move it around a little...go to callnps.com for a sat map. Find a strong bird and channel (does not matter if it is scrambled or not (Try NOT to go for the HBO or Max stuff ...they are weak!). Starz is pretty strong on G1! and move it slowly around until you begin to receive something (hopefully!) It helps if the receiver has a signal strength meter so you can tell if you are getting close!!

Your description just sounds as though you have drifted off the arc as the others said! Mine will also do that sometimes when our winds get over 90mph!

if the actuator is ok, shouldn't he just need to tune in a solid C-band channel and slide the dish a bit left/right on the pole?

Status
Please reply by conversation.