T-90 Elevation angle

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwillis

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
I'm not sure on how to set the elevation angle on the T90, I set it to 28 degrees, but, it's kind of looking down, like its shaking its head in shame at my feable setup skills!
Where is the 0 degree horizontal plane, there's no markings for elevation, I need some kind of reference point to start my degree measurement from.

John

The T90 doesn't have elevation marks but there is a place on the back of the dish to put an angle finder to measure elevation.

When I change mine around, I usually put eveything straight up with an lnbf on zero for my center satellite, and point it towards that satellite, then adjust the elevation to find it. It should be straight up or down. Then I adjust the dishes skew and swing it left or right for best quality for that satellite (or fine tune it), and then go from there to set up the other satellites.

Elevation on the T90 is measured with a protractor resting on the top flat section of the dish mount. But this only works with no skew on the dish.

Voomvoom's method is all you need, most everyone is surprise that the dish works when it appears to be looking at the horizon.

What I do to get might lined up is as follows. I'll use my settings for example.

1. Get the the two outside satellites that I want the T90 to see. I have Horizons2 at 74W and Echostar 7 at 119W
  2. Take the difference between the to locations. 119W - 74W = 45.
  3. Divide that difference to get what my middle sat would be. 45 / 2 = 22.5, 22.5 + 74 = 96.5. Closest sat is Galaxy 25 at 97W. G25 will be my middle sat.
  4. Put a LNB at the 0 position on the rail and make sure it's vertical when the dish skew is at 90.
  5. Get the skew for two LNBs on a dish, one aimed at 74W and one at 119W. I use Google maps to get a quick latitude and longitude for locations. Also, most calculators will give you a skew over 90 degrees. If it does, subtract that skew figure from 180 and that will give you the skew necessary for your T90. You can use a protractor to figure out your elevation at the back of your T90. Use the elevation provided by the calculator site as a guide only. The number provided could be 3 to 10 degrees off.
  6. I don't bother with a compass for my azimuth myself. But I know where things are in the sky where I'm at. I'll scan back and forth across the sky at a particular elevation until I get a Q on my receiver on a strong transponder. For G25 97W, I'd use 12152 H 20000. If in my first pass I don't find it, I'll raise my elevation and repeat.
  7. Next I'll set up my "outboard" LNBs. Myself, I have a couple of circular LNBs for my ExpressVu sub. I use these to rough tune my skew. Because they are so strong I can peak the signal on the outsides of the dish much easier than I can with linear sats.
  8. When I have my outboards peaked, then I can tighten things down. Be aware that there's a lot of play in a T90. When you tighten up the bolts things might not be quite as peaked as they were. You may find that you only have to move a LNB right or left the width of a screw on the horn mount.
  9. Once I have things tightened down 9 times out of 10 I can then just slide an LNB up/down the rail and hit them every time. I'll then tweak further to maximize the signals on the outboards. I will say that it's tedious the first half dozen times you set up a T90 but it does get easier with experience.
  10. Sit back and enjoy a drink if that's what you do. Because you'll probably be pretty frustrated and relieved all at the same time when you have it working.
First time around don't be surprised by the time it takes. It TAKES A LOT OF PATIENCE! In fact, I don't think I'm ever truly satisfied by the results I get. I'm always out tweaking seeing how much more (or little) I can get out of it.

I've had mine since October 2007. It was my first FTA dish. Now when I adjust it from scratch I usually have it done in about an hour or less.

I'm also no expert. I'm just telling you what I figured out works for me. I don't imagine it's much different from what other people with a T90 do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts