Tailgating setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsleary

Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Colorado
I'm trying to put together a tailgating setup and am trying to determine if I can use one of my existing boxes from the house with an older dish that was left behind after an upgrade. I have an older 18" X 20" D* dish that says Multi-Satellite. The LNBF assemply is an Eagle Aspen DTVP3 Triple-feed, Multi-Satellite LNB with a built in multi-switch with 4 outputs. This is the dish I would like to use for a temporary tailgating setup. I don't need HD for this. For a box I can either use a D12-100 or H21-100 (wife won't let me take the HR24-500 out of the house). So my first question is should that dish work with either of my available boxes. I did a quick test with the D12 and couldn't get any signal on 101. I assume that I need to re-run the satellite set up when I move the box to the tailgate dish, but I'm not sure which dish type to select. Several of the dish type options weren't highlighted and available to select on the D12 which leads me to believe that setup won't work. All the dish options are available on the H21. Before I drag out the H21 and start playing I want to know if what I'm trying to do should work and I just need to pick an appropriate satellite type and spend some more time trying to tweak the pointing of the dish or if I need to get a new dish that is compatible with my new boxes. Thanks in advance for any help.

IMHO, you'd save yourself a WORLD of trouble by getting a genuine D* dual LNB dish. They're dirt cheap on Craigslist. D12 is a little harder to setup than the D11s were but still work.

I'm trying to put together a tailgating setup and am trying to determine if I can use one of my existing boxes from the house with an older dish that was left behind after an upgrade. I have an older 18" X 20" D* dish that says Multi-Satellite. The LNBF assemply is an Eagle Aspen DTVP3 Triple-feed, Multi-Satellite LNB with a built in multi-switch with 4 outputs. This is the dish I would like to use for a temporary tailgating setup. I don't need HD for this. For a box I can either use a D12-100 or H21-100 (wife won't let me take the HR24-500 out of the house). So my first question is should that dish work with either of my available boxes. I did a quick test with the D12 and couldn't get any signal on 101. I assume that I need to re-run the satellite set up when I move the box to the tailgate dish, but I'm not sure which dish type to select. Several of the dish type options weren't highlighted and available to select on the D12 which leads me to believe that setup won't work. All the dish options are available on the H21. Before I drag out the H21 and start playing I want to know if what I'm trying to do should work and I just need to pick an appropriate satellite type and spend some more time trying to tweak the pointing of the dish or if I need to get a new dish that is compatible with my new boxes. Thanks in advance for any help.

Your doing fine,
Use the H21, set up the dish to the correct settings and you will be good to go.
Yes, you'll need to run the Re Set Sat set up when you change.

Fwiw, the D11 or 12 should work just as well.
As long as the recvr is set to the correct settings any of them will work.
You only going to get the 101, 110 and 119 sats, so the HD is out (99 and 103) but you said you didn't need them anyways.

Not sure why the D11 would be any different than the D12 to set up, regardless If you get a signal your good.

That is the Phase III dish and as pointed out receives 101, 110, and 119 sats. This dish needs to be aimed using those for the 110 sat. With the tilt/skew set correctly 101 should be received just fine. I agree that if you use the 18" round dual output LNB dish it will make your tailgate setup much easier.

That is the Phase III dish and as pointed out receives 101, 110, and 119 sats. This dish needs to be aimed using those for the 110 sat. With the tilt/skew set correctly 101 should be received just fine. I agree that if you use the 18" round dual output LNB dish it will make your tailgate setup much easier.

JD, do you know which setting it is on the Reset dish screen, so the guy knows from the start where it should be ?
Thats gonna be half his battle and I don't have time to go thru the set up again to look for it as I'm currently recording.

The selection on the sat setup screen could be different based on the receiver being used. But, I would suspect that it's something like multisat and maybe phase III listed.
I too can't try it as I'm also recording.

This appears to be the most likely option on my H21

02: 3LNB (18"x20")

There are a few other similar but have another satellite after

06: 3LNB (18"x20") & 72.5
10: 3LNB (18"x20") & 95
14: 3LNB 72.5 & 95

I'm going to give 02 a shot. Since I'm supposed to aim for 110 and using dishpointer.com for a reference should I use the settings listed for 110W DIRECTV 5 (TEMPO 1) | ECHOSTAR 10 | ECHOSTAR 11?

Thanks for the help jd and jimbo

This appears to be the most likely option on my H21

02: 3LNB (18"x20")

There are a few other similar but have another satellite after

06: 3LNB (18"x20") & 72.5
10: 3LNB (18"x20") & 95
14: 3LNB 72.5 & 95

I'm going to give 02 a shot. Since I'm supposed to aim for 110 and using dishpointer.com for a reference should I use the settings listed for 110W DIRECTV 5 (TEMPO 1) | ECHOSTAR 10 | ECHOSTAR 11?

Thanks for the help jd and jimbo

I was just starting to look at mine and realized I cannot check it without disabling my SWM set up which is a pain.

jsleary,
You have the correct one there.
It is the 02 as you said 3LNB 18x20

The others with sats next to them are in case your using the 72 sat for locals (not much anymore) or the 95 for International.

SUCCESS!

Took about 20 minutes to re-run the satellite set up on the H21 and point the dish. The elevation and skew were still set from when they took it off the house so I just had to fiddle with the azimuth for a few minutes. Thanks JD and Jimbo for the help. Now I just need to be able to repeat the process away from the back yard.

SUCCESS!

Took about 20 minutes to re-run the satellite set up on the H21 and point the dish. The elevation and skew were still set from when they took it off the house so I just had to fiddle with the azimuth for a few minutes. Thanks JD and Jimbo for the help. Now I just need to be able to repeat the process away from the back yard.
Glad to see you got it :up

Practice, Practice, Practice :up

If it took 20 minutes to run thru the set up, thats about par.
Getting the pointing down pat will be the most important part.

jsleary,
How far from home will you be tailgating ?
Also, the more you practice, the easier it comes.
If your in the same general area, the dish setting will be pretty close to the same.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)