Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
[NOTE - TAKE THIS AS A RUMOR UNTIL CONFIRMED BY A DIRECTV PRESS RELEASE]

I just got off the phone with one of my contacts at DirecTV. He tells me that with everything that has been happening this week morale is at an all time high.

He told me a lot more locals will be coming (and he is not just talking about the 13 markets launching tommorow)

He verified my International story which I broke yesterday but declined to comment on who is coming on board. There will be more about this within a month.

And then in what I feel is the biggest news, he told me that A LOT of HD is coming to DirecTV, not a few new HD Channels, but a LOT of HD channels. He said we could see more on this within a few weeks. He also would not name and channels here. He did say some at VOOM and Dish would be really surprised with what they are getting ready to roll out.

All's I can say is this appears to be an exciting time in the world of Satellite TV.

Even if it's the greatest in HD Charlie will still say it's not compelling enough for DISH.

I am so glad that I'm with Directv. I'm hoping to get my new HDTV soon and as soon as I do I will be getting an HD receiver from Directv.

Something else on this. Directv has the room now with D7S, E* is still screwed with no bandwidth.

Considering the Spot Beam capabilites of the new sat, I wonder if HDTV Regional Sports Networks like Fox Sports Net might be in the works?

Scott - while I'm all for this happening, did they say anything about some much needed SD additions, particuarly in the premium catagories. It's getting depressing seeing even our Insight cable have EVERY single E feed of all premiums, while both DBS providers carrying only 1/2 that.

Yes, please, any SD information would be very appreciated. Would love to see Goodlife, GAC, the upcoming Horror channels, the B-Movie Channel, etc.

I live in a weird, 2 mile square area where there is no cable coverage, despite being in Suburban Philly. I originally purchased Directv as a cable substitute. I love it and would never go back, but I am not going to be purchasing HD equipment anytime soon with a 1 year old outgrowing clothes every month ;) .

By a lot more locals, hopefully he means the 72.5 markets. Has anyone heard anything else regarding the FCC's approval of this slot?

Scott Greczkowski said:
And then in what I feel is the biggest news, he told me that A LOT of HD is coming to DirecTV, not a few new HD Channels, but a LOT of HD channels. .

Good Ole Rupert.... The VOOM Killa!!!

'And then in what I feel is the biggest news, he told me that A LOT of HD is coming to DirecTV, not a few new HD Channels, but a LOT of HD channels. He said we could see more on this within a few weeks. He also would not name and channels here. He did say some at VOOM and Dish would be really surprised with what they are getting ready to roll out."
~this just further gives backing to what my friend at INHD has been telling me about them coming to a agreement with DirecTV for broadcast, even though I have had alot of people who didn't think it was true. It seems like "surprising" channels to me.

Scott Greczkowski said:
[NOTE - TAKE THIS AS A RUMOR UNTIL CONFIRMED BY A DIRECTV PRESS RELEASE]

I just got off the phone with one of my contacts at DirecTV. He tells me that with everything that has been happening this week morale is at an all time high.

He told me a lot more locals will be coming (and he is not just talking about the 13 markets launching tommorow)

He verified my International story which I broke yesterday but declined to comment on who is coming on board. There will be more about this within a month.

And then in what I feel is the biggest news, he told me that A LOT of HD is coming to DirecTV, not a few new HD Channels, but a LOT of HD channels. He said we could see more on this within a few weeks. He also would not name and channels here. He did say some at VOOM and Dish would be really surprised with what they are getting ready to roll out.

All's I can say is this appears to be an exciting time in the world of Satellite TV.

A lot of HD will require a lot of bandwidth, where is this coming from? Is D* gaining another orbital location somewhere that they have not announced yet? Perhaps a FSS slot or KA? Yes I know that D7S will open up maybe 8 additional conus TP's or so but this alone is not enough capacity to provide a lot of additional HD, some yes but not allot, and a lot of additional International channels too. I hate to through a wet blanket on your party Scott, but either your sources are all wet or their is some additional bandwidth coming soon from somewhere that none of us here are aware off. :shrug:

DirecTV will gain the use of eight transponders once all of the local markets currently being broadcast on CONUS are moved to spot-beams. Eight transponders could be considered doubling their HD offerings and tripling their international offerings.

rkr0923 said:
INHD....big whoop
a spin off of HDNET
not a dang thing worth watching

Perhaps for you, but for me, 3 baseball games a week is enough. They wouldn't have to air anything but that and I would want it.

INHD is nothing like HDNET. I have had this battle before. plain and simple INHD is better. they buy feeds from other HD channels not available in your area and put then on for you to see. couldn't be happier with their channels. and no I don't work for them, never have.

If they end up offering a LOT more then I hope it is not going to be upconverted SD content. I would assume that this would be the genuine original HD content.

Why would DirecTv choose to launch multiple HD stations instead of rolling out the rest of the SD locals markets?

Stargazer said:
Why would DirecTv choose to launch multiple HD stations instead of rolling out the rest of the SD locals markets?

Market share. DirecTV and Dish are both very close to 98% of population coverage for locals. Their next major need is to get more customers in existing urban locals markets where their market penetration is less than idea. It's going to be a difficult and expensive period of customer acquisition.

I'm glad I'm with Dish. I'm with Charlie on this one. I'd much rather get more SD channels that I'd watch than get a bunch of HD stations that have duplicate programming from what's already on the SD channels or something completely worthless in HD.

Add some channels I want to watch, and I wish that they would move down the other Discovery Channels or put them on the 119 sat and make it a package that I could order (Hard to get the 110 sat here in Anchorage)

re peluso:
""....Market share. DirecTV and Dish are both very close to 98% of population coverage for locals. Their next major need is to get more customers in existing urban locals markets where their market penetration is less than idea. It's going to be a difficult and expensive period of customer acquisition."

Actually, DirecTV was at 77% coverage for locals before 7s, and (according to Eddie Hartenstein this morning at the Deutsch Bank Media Conference) will be at about 92% in a couple of months.
98% coverage by DirecTV (or EchoStar) is still a long way off.

fredfa said:
Actually, DirecTV was at 77% coverage for locals before 7s, and (according to Eddie Hartenstein this morning at the Deutsch Bank Media Conference) will be at about 92% in a couple of months.
98% coverage by DirecTV (or EchoStar) is still a long way off.

I don't know where Albany, GA is in percentages, but DirecTV needs to get them soon now that Dish Network does, because it's mostly a Dish area anyway from people not wanting to deal with Pegasus...however, there are quite a few people who would want a dish that they could put on their roof, which rules out the SuperDISH.

~Alan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)