Taking my satellite while travelling

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nope, that looks perfect. The only thing I can think of is you're too far out of the spot beam. Directv moved signals the past 2 weeks and odds are yours was one that was moved. Sorry you've went through all this only to not get your locals. I'm a field trainer and read through everything. Sounds like you may need to call Directv and have your locals changed while your at your vacation place. Sorry I couldn't help

I just looked at the bubble level on top of the mast without pulling the dish off and it is dead on the money. So, the question is, how do I begin to tweak what I have?

So even though the 99 and 103 sats are getting a LITTLE strength, that doesn't mean there is hope to dial them in.

Your beat bet if you don't have a signal meter is to take a tv and receiver outside with you where you can see them. However, where they stand now they're not horrible but they won't pass any signal quality test. With it being a vacation home I'd leave it as is unless you just want to be dead on with your signals.

After working on it some more using the adjusters, this is what I have. Keep in mind I have no meter but I am wondering if this shows hope if I did have one.

2011-08-13-17.19.38.jpg

I am still getting searching for satellite however on locals.

It's not that I necessarily want to be dead on, I just want the blasted locals to come on.
Your beat bet if you don't have a signal meter is to take a tv and receiver outside with you where you can see them. However, where they stand now they're not horrible but they won't pass any signal quality test. With it being a vacation home I'd leave it as is unless you just want to be dead on with your signals.

I couldn't find a spot beam map for Macon, but looking at the one for Atlanta, it seems you should be able to get your locals in Chatsworth. Jimbo was right on the transponder you need, 99s t6. You also have at least one channel on 99s t4. To backtrack a bit, I wouldn't trust the bubble in the mast. Can you get a post level from Home Depot or Lowes? They are more accurate. Then keep playing with the fine adjustments, or dithering. I think you can get the locals if you are persistent and patient! Good luck and don't give up!
Check this link to see what the post level looks like:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I couldn't find a spot beam map for Macon, but looking at the one for Atlanta, it seems you should be able to get your locals in Chatsworth. Jimbo was right on the transponder you need, 99s t6. You also have at least one channel on 99s t4. To backtrack a bit, I wouldn't trust the bubble in the mast. Can you get a post level from Home Depot or Lowes? They are more accurate. Then keep playing with the fine adjustments, or dithering. I think you can get the locals if you are persistent and patient! Good luck and don't give up!
Check this link to see what the post level looks like:
5-1/4 in. Polycast Post Level-720 at The Home Depot

Chip,
If his local are on 99s t4, like we've mentioned, I thought he said he had about mid 70's on that before ... Mid 70's should give him his locals ... however, it looks like it's only about 50 now, so, maybe tweaking will help, I was thinking he was higher before.

Fwiw, I usually use a torpedo level.

Chip,
If his local are on 99s t4, like we've mentioned, I thought he said he had about mid 70's on that before ... Mid 70's should give him his locals ... however, it looks like it's only about 50 now, so, maybe tweaking will help, I was thinking he was higher before.

Fwiw, I usually use a torpedo level.

The 70s was the numbers from the CONUS satellite. I like the post level because it doesn't move.

I have a box that was from "DTV" that we had when we had service here @ home, we went back to cable. Now we have sat again, I want to put it in my RV for when we travel. My question is if I reactivate this box can I turn it on and off so we don't have to pay for it when we are not using it. Or should I just go to Camping World and buy a new box for $69.00 and add it to our contract? If I do that can I turn it on and off for when we are not using the RV.

If you get a new box it will be a leased unit, and you can't just have Directv turn it on and off, but I think you can with an owned box. Do you own the one you have now that you aren't using?

I have a box that was from "DTV" that we had when we had service here @ home, we went back to cable. Now we have sat again, I want to put it in my RV for when we travel. My question is if I reactivate this box can I turn it on and off so we don't have to pay for it when we are not using it. Or should I just go to Camping World and buy a new box for $69.00 and add it to our contract? If I do that can I turn it on and off for when we are not using the RV.
W6PEA,
The setup at Camping World is Dish only and yes you can turn it on and off month by month. It is SD service only. Since you are on the DirecTV forum, I assume the receiver you have is for Direct. Direct does not offer a service similar to the Dish offering. I have a friend that used to have a Direct dish at his mountain cabin. Direct allowed him to turn the service on and off when he was there. They have since discontinued offering that service and he now takes one of his receivers up there with him when he goes there. I do the same thing when we are in our motorhome. Now that Dish offers the month to month service, Direct may decide to do the same. But, not now.
Bob

Technically, if your using it in a RV, your suppose to have a separate RV account, which is basically a whole other account with full price monthly payment.

IF your using D&, what I would do is use a recvr from the home, take it with you when you go camping, also keep it on, it's only costing you $ 5 p/m if you already have service.

Busterw,
Did you ever get your locals to come in, I would think if your SS was 70ish on the 99s sat Tr 6 you should get them.

W6PEA,
The setup at Camping World is Dish only and yes you can turn it on and off month by month. It is SD service only. Since you are on the DirecTV forum, I assume the receiver you have is for Direct. Direct does not offer a service similar to the Dish offering. I have a friend that used to have a Direct dish at his mountain cabin. Direct allowed him to turn the service on and off when he was there. They have since discontinued offering that service and he now takes one of his receivers up there with him when he goes there. I do the same thing when we are in our motorhome. Now that Dish offers the month to month service, Direct may decide to do the same. But, not now.
Bob

Bob,
Camping world sells a Direct TV receiver www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/directv-standard-definition-receiver/50460 I am thinking about buying a new one so I know it will work with my current system, or can I use my old receiver it's an old Hughes box.

If you get a new box it will be a leased unit, and you can't just have Directv turn it on and off, but I think you can with an owned box. Do you own the one you have now that you aren't using?

I have a box from when I had my account a few years ago and it's a Hughes box model SD-HBH Mfg.12/03
I talked to DirecTV they said it would work on my system but I needed a new card.
I am wondering will they charge me when I suspend it and the reactivate it. Or as said above would it be better to just take one from home and hook it up being as according to the installer I talked to that they need to be powered all the time or was he just blowing smoke?

I have a box from when I had my account a few years ago and it's a Hughes box model SD-HBH Mfg.12/03
I talked to DirecTV they said it would work on my system but I needed a new card.
I am wondering will they charge me when I suspend it and the reactivate it. Or as said above would it be better to just take one from home and hook it up being as according to the installer I talked to that they need to be powered all the time or was he just blowing smoke?

There is no charge to suspend or reactivate. The installer was definitely blowing smoke. I won't say where!

There is no charge to suspend or reactivate. The installer was definitely blowing smoke. I won't say where!
Chip,
I think your information is a bit out of date. I have a good friend that used to have a receiver at a mountain cabin. D* would let him turn it on and off when he was up there and just charge for the time used. About a year or two ago they told him that he could no longer do that. He now just leaves one of his receivers activated and takes it with him when he goes to the cabin. For the extra $5 (or I guess it is $6 now) he feels it is worth the trouble to take it back and forth rather than have the separate acct at the cabin. But, then too, things seem to change all the time and my information may now be stale as well. It would take checking with D* to determine the current policy.
Bob

Last edited:

Blowing Smoke, sorta .....

IF you are disconnected too long, I'm talking not having the Sat connection to the recvr, it will shut down after about a month, however, you can go online to your account and refresh it and everything will be fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.