Team Summit: General Assembly Thoughts and Pics

sorry yaz didnt see my questioned answered and with so many threads i may be in different one

Last edited:
Sad, sad, sad... So, the ViP premise is dead, replaced by XiP. Why did Dish put an Ethernet port on the ViP receivers? The 622/722 can receive VoD, but as someone else mentioned, our ISPs are going to limit us to what we can download on a monthly basis.

All I ever wanted to do is watch the content on my family room ViP 722 on the ViP 211 in the bedroom. Was that so much to ask? Now, those receivers are destined for the trash heap as Dish has once again abandoned promising technology for New! and Improved! technology...

I shouldn't be surprised given Dish's history (921 & Firewire, anyone?) but I thought the ViP lines was really going to talk to each other.

YES! an eSATA port! WHOOOOOO HOOOOOO! Finally, it only took Dish 5 years to catch-up to all the other high-end DVR makers: TiVO, Moxi, DirecTV, FiOS, even moldy oldie Scientific Atlanta and Motorola (don't think Uverse ever had one). I am certainly glad I invested in the WD externals that accomodate both USB and eSATA, as I wanted to use them with a PC if I ever left Dish, and I wanted to be ready if Dish ever got around to adding eSATA. Now, that's big news :).

YES! an eSATA port! WHOOOOOO HOOOOOO!
Zounds!!! Now we'll have the opportunity to spend $50 on an empty enclosure for a drive instead getting an essentially free USB setup with our external drive.

eSATA doesn't make sense unless RAID is desirable and RAID makes no sense given the cost of standalone USB drives.

Their are USB OTA turner in the market place today. They maybe cheaper then the version dish is offering. One drawback will be no integration with dish tv guide.

Zounds!!! Now we'll have the opportunity to spend $50 on an empty enclosure for a drive instead getting an essentially free USB setup with our external drive.

eSATA doesn't make sense unless RAID is desirable and RAID makes no sense given the cost of standalone USB drives.

Totally agree. eSATA on D* is twitchy, heck eSATA on lots of things is twitchy for that matter! And there is no advantage to using eSATA over USB on these receivers, their faster transfer speeds aren't needed and we sure don't need the irritation that eSATA can bring to the table.

Their are USB OTA turner in the market place today. They maybe cheaper then the version dish is offering. One drawback will be no integration with dish tv guide.

Would they even work with the Dish gear? For those of us with home theater setups, that is important. Who wants to listen to the audio from the TV speakers these days?

I take there was no mention off when DISH plans to add anymore HD locals for those of us who still don't have any HD locals, or who are short HD local channels?

psdstu said:
I take there was no mention off when DISH plans to add anymore HD locals for those of us who still don't have any HD locals, or who are short HD local channels?

No mention... The programming section was very brief with no real solid mentions of anything down the line. Sure they said 3d was coming but a never announced what channels or when...

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

I hope that DISH doesn't invest too much money in 3-D. It is nothing but hype and I don't see it lasting to much longer. Unless they can provide it without glasses and it can be seen anywhere in the room, from any angle, I don't see it being widely adopted by the American public.

The iPad 3 will be glass less 3d with head motion technology.

Apple is also rumored to come out with apple tv that maybe glass less 3d were the sweet spot will be 180 degrees.

These rumors are base in recent patients that apple has filed.

The major source is from the Mac rumor site.

MikeD-C05 said:
I hope that DISH doesn't invest too much money in 3-D. It is nothing but hype and I don't see it lasting to much longer. Unless they can provide it without glasses and it can be seen anywhere in the room, from any angle, I don't see it being widely adopted by the American public.

Glassless 3D was demoed at CES

Dish is too short on space for a while. They have a 2013 deadline to provide HD secondary stations for all the markets they carry in HD. They have 2 more planned satellite launches, they probably want to be sure they have both satellites up and safe before they commit to add more markets. I suspect they will add more markets on space left over after the two launches. They probably will have the space to cover all the eastern markets in HD.

On WA they will gain capacity when they finally get around to converting the arc to 8PSK. This will give them more spot beam capacity (both because they have unused spot beam capacity on 119 TPs currently used for national but could be converted to spot, and more space on spots carrying SD will have more space).

Ugly Box, wonder what the backside is like and what real options are available. Not much to get excited about except the three tuner capability.

MikeD-C05 said:
How large of a screen are we talking about? Last I heard Toshiba came out with one, but it was only around 22 inches wide.

Samsung had a 55 inch at a china trade fair in march, production still a long way off

YES! an eSATA port! WHOOOOOO HOOOOOO! Finally, it only took Dish 5 years to catch-up to all the other high-end DVR makers: TiVO, Moxi, DirecTV, FiOS, even moldy oldie Scientific Atlanta and Motorola (don't think Uverse ever had one). I am certainly glad I invested in the WD externals that accomodate both USB and eSATA, as I wanted to use them with a PC if I ever left Dish, and I wanted to be ready if Dish ever got around to adding eSATA. Now, that's big news :).

There is missed SATA connector with a name "ESATA" (not eSATA) on mainboard of ViP922; I did install the connector and waiting for its activation ;).

Last edited:
Thanks Mike,

I'm in the eastern market so it looks like it might be a little longer wait before I will be seeing HD locals.

Stu

Dish is too short on space for a while. They have a 2013 deadline to provide HD secondary stations for all the markets they carry in HD. They have 2 more planned satellite launches, they probably want to be sure they have both satellites up and safe before they commit to add more markets. I suspect they will add more markets on space left over after the two launches. They probably will have the space to cover all the eastern markets in HD.

On WA they will gain capacity when they finally get around to converting the arc to 8PSK. This will give them more spot beam capacity (both because they have unused spot beam capacity on 119 TPs currently used for national but could be converted to spot, and more space on spots carrying SD will have more space).