tech question from newbie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satmandew

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Nov 1, 2007
could someone please tell me what dish and lnb i will need to recieve galaxy 19...i am in central usa ?? thanks

is it possibe to scan all or most of the channels on g19??.....i have coolsat 6100...captiveworks 600p , 700 , 800 , ultima

For Ku, I would get at least an 80cm Dish with Linear LNB.
See the Sponsors at the Top of the Web Page.
Do you already have a receiver?

I have had good reception on MOST of the transponders on G19 using a 76 cm dish and a 0.3 db noise figure lnbf (cost about 8-12 dollars). A couple transponders on this sat are weak, but a few are very strong on signal delivery. Be advised that much of the programming that is FTA are Middle Eastern (Farsi or Arabic language), and some Infomercial and commercials only stations. Few that broadcast in English. See the Lyngsat web site for a comprehensive list of channels on 97 W. They list which language is broadcast also. Please see the thread on Satelliteguys by Iceberg called "I need a strong transponder to aim my dish" -- invaluable information. Re size of dish: a 1.2 meter dish or larger makes it much easier to receive everyting on G19! Good luck and read the frequently asked questions area of the forum.

On Galaxy 19 Ku Band or otherwise known as 97 W, there is a lions share of ethnic channels. But there are English channels including TBN and also English speaking news channels ...Russia Today, Al Jazeera, Press TV and a recent addition to 19/97W called CMRI.tv which runs Biblical programming and some conspiratorial talk shows run by James Lloyd.

On the radio side there is a lions share of ethnic programming, but they carry alternative talk program networks like John Stadtmiller's Republic Broadcasting Network, the new GEO channel run by James Lloyd, the Micro Effect, Brother Stair's Overcomer Network, and Genesis Communications Network which carries Alex Jones.

A 76 cm dish should do fine, but the newer "World Direct Dish" should be able to pick up 19/97W quite well. I have a oval 24 x 36 "DirecPC" Dish at my other location which looks a lot like the "World Direct Dish" and I get Russia Today at a 70 + quality there.

On Ebay you can find "World Direct Dish" for under $90 shipped...sometimes half that. Used FTA receivers can be had in the $30 to $60 range...sometimes less. You can find new out of the box systems in the $200 range...check the advertisers here.

Ku Band FTA mainly uses a Linear LNB, whatever you get...get a dual LNB on your first set up as you might want to add another receiver later on. Installation is not tricky, aiming the dish is...sometimes. Use a portable receiver at the dish when setting up and Quality is everything...and more important than signal strength.

If you see your neighbor's Direct TV dish @ 101...start by aiming in that general direction. Skew is everything and just as important as azimuth and direction. The "World Direct Dish"..you move the entire dish (in a clockwise or counter clockwise position) to change skew, whereas a 76 cm (or higher) dish you turn the LNB instead to adjust skew.

What state are you located in?

if you can or bigger

is it possibe to scan all or most of the channels on g19??.....i have coolsat 6100...captiveworks 600p , 700 , 800 , ultima

you have 5 boxes ?
my advice
get a 3 foot dish if you can or bigger.
i have a 80cm on 97 it does good on it but thats about it,or some other fixed sat.
it was my first little dish and i have wished i would have got a 90cm/3 footer to start with. it seems like a small difference(10cm) but is bigger than it seems.
and a motor works much better on a 90. unless you are limited by wife or HOA get a 1.2 m then a motor when you can. with 5 boxes you like watching free tv.
good luck

I agree....a 90cm will work better than a 76cm dish. I can get all the channels on both dishes but the 90cm gives a little better signal readings :)

If you want to use more than one receiver, you most definitelly want a dual LNB

i have lots of old parts...directway dishes...superdishes...dtv slimline dishes....will superdish fss 105 lmbs work for anythng , i have a big pile of those....i also have an old birddog sat meter....surely i can tune something in with all this junk laying around here

Superdish FSS LNBs are actually Eagle Aspen P870 stacked Ku-Band LNBs, and are VERY useful. Just remember that these LNBs stack the horizontal transponders above the vertical ones, so the horizontal TP frequencies will be off. A blind scanning receiver will find them with no trouble, however.

i have lots of old parts...directway dishes...superdishes...dtv slimline dishes....will superdish fss 105 lmbs work for anythng , i have a big pile of those....i also have an old birddog sat meter....surely i can tune something in with all this junk laying around here

Search this site for Superdish.

There was a guy here that set up a Superdish to receive PBS at 125W and WhiteSprings Classic Movies on 127W

i have lots of old parts...directway dishes...superdishes...dtv slimline dishes....will superdish fss 105 lmbs work for anythng ,

Superdishes & Directway dishes will work fine for FTA. Tron noted the bandstacked issue with the LNB's on SD105's

thanks guys..everyone has been very helpful....i think i now know in which direction to start my research.....i will do some reading.....thanks again

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts