TEGNA Blacks Out DISH Customers in 38 Markets

WMAZ Channel 13 out of Macon, GA is back online. The guide still shows that it has been removed, but I am seeing the channel now.

KING and KONG are back in Western WA. I have a feeling a few NFL fans were not pleased about this blackout. And then there's the Texas fans who got hosed yesterday...

Reactions: long_time_DNC
Year after year, post after post some just have to threaten to leave DISH or question DISH making a profit or any number of the sky is falling posts over what virtually always a short term situation. Using OTA or even changing markets certainly makes sense till it ends, but history shows the locals are far more dependant on the provider in today's world. I get the feeling somehow they think DISH is bluffing because DISH offers to keep them on the air and will pay the increase agreed for that time period and see it as a sign of weakness, then find themselves off the air for whatever number of subscribers. Some locals can not afford to have people start to look for local news on another local and find they like it.

I wish Dish and ATT collaborated illegally about their contracts and made sure the dates were set to expire at the same time. That would make a difference as well. A big big difference. How many channel owners could afford for two providers to be blacked out? That would really change the game... To bad it is illegal. Would be consumer friendly, but illegal.

I love the term " Greed"
And I love how some of yous only refer to "Greed" as coming from the Networks.

Demanding more money is Greed,
But DISH Network refusing to make less profit /pay more is not Greed???

I'll Remember come spring when DISH demands more money out of me and profits are at another record high.

I demand you make less money so I can have some of it, I think you make too much. The DISH or whoever profits means zero. Neither you or I know anything about their profits. Are they using it to make an even better receiver? Buy more satellites? Towards getting a less expensive wireless solution? Upgrading? Are they just better than some others at managing their money, maybe since I pay close to $180+ a year less than I would with Direct TV. One company (Tegna)was involving the customer as hostages while DISH was agreeing to keep the locals up and pay the whatever increase is agreed upon for that time period. The first is greed the second is a business decision. Now throw in the locals shouldn't even be allowed to demand money to get what should be free signal to you.
If you are going make arguments based on someone's profit you won't see the real problems. DISH has made questionable decisions over the years as others have, and I can fault them for not always getting bugs fixed in what seems like a timely fashion. (The famous SOON) but how much profit they make is not a factor, how much I pay compared to the industry does. The programming, receivers, reliability of signal etc matters. Do I want a provider that makes less profit, pays more for their programming, costs me more, or maybe has receivers not as good? Or do I not care about profit and look at what I listed above when making a decision who to use?

Last edited:
Reactions: papachops
I love the term " Greed"
And I love how some of yous only refer to "Greed" as coming from the Networks.

Demanding more money is Greed,
But DISH Network refusing to make less profit /pay more is not Greed???

I'll Remember come spring when DISH demands more money out of me and profits are at another record high.

And, then there's my greed. I don't want to pay any more for a service than I absolutely have to. :)

And, then there's my greed. I don't want to pay any more for a service than I absolutely have to. :)
Exactly,

And Tampa you can ramble on and defend dish all you want.
It doesn't make them any Less greedy then you , I ,The Networks or Directv.

Point is It's never enough money or its too much money.

And just as you stated to me , You have no clue yourself what the networks or Dish do with their money or what reason they are demanding more.
But I do read Quarterly reports, and if expenses were clearly making an impact on Dish Network, they would be have lower and lower profit takes each quarter, not more and more each quarter.

But DISH is not a defenseless victim in these disputes as much as you want us to believe .
Neither is Directv or cable.

But these disputes are not helping with subscriber addtions, if that doesn't change, We will be paying more and more .

Reactions: yomama
To be fair, the only defense the providers have in this case is either pay more and raise rates or remove the channels and tell them to screw off. Ask Suddenlink about that with Viacom

To be fair, the only defense the providers have in this case is either pay more and raise rates or remove the channels and tell them to screw off. Ask Suddenlink about that with Viacom
That is not a defense at all.
So your saying Dish couldn't eat the cost?
Why must they raise the rates? It's not like they are breaking even if they don't.

It's not like they are even making less this quarter then last quarter.

If they provide less, then we should have to pay less , right?
Yeah Okay.
If Dish dropped Viacom tomorrow, the only thing we would see is Dish Quarterly profits go Higher because now they don't have to pay Viacom, but we would still have to pay the same on our bill.

uploadfromtaptalk1444597024296.png
I see a trend starting already.
As Subscriber count get lower, Average Customer pays more.
These disputes don't help any I'm sure.

When they already eat the cost with all the channels throughout the year, until 1Feb, and since they are a for profit company, and have a fuduciary responsibility to the share holders, no. They would have to do what is best for the business as a whole, and they have teams upon teams to do the analysis. Tegna was no different, and neither is any of the companies other providers renew with. Price increases will happen every year, because every single channel goes up in price each year. Just because one channel or two channels is down, does not negate that fact. What is done, however, and shown in year after year financials and cost comparisons between Dish and competition, is that Dish already gives us the lowest price possible, in order to keep the doors open. Here is one thing to think about. They have to pay repairs on satellites, and eat the cost until price increase. What about employee pay raises? What is going to happen in Seattle when $15 min wage is enacted? Dish will have to either pay DNS techs more(they won't want to work for minimum wage) or leave it entirely retailer performed. We keep leaving our eyes on the channels, but this business is expensive all around, and considering the take home this company has at the end of the year,.. No they can not just eat the cost. Look at last years records... What was the profit average from customers? $5/customer/month? After bill about $90?? A 5.55% Net margin? Do Those numbers sound like they are raking us? Directv had something like $11 on $111 average. Still under 10% net margins. It's not pro dish or pro anything. The only reason our bills are as high as they are... Because channels want more money, and use us as a bargaining chip. ESPN gets $6 per sub and is required to be offered in almost EVERY package. They are not even the most watched channel. Last I checked, it was USA Network. And they only made $0.76 /sub. So yes, these channel owners are the greedy ones. With my AEP, and 4 room set up, to continue getting everything I want, I pay $15 less with Dish than DTV, per DTV sales rep. I would actually pay $2 more at the end of the 2 year Nc promotion according to that same rep. He did the math for me, and it turned out against his company and lost his sale. If we are saying we want auto credits when a channel goes down for 36 hours, then it's only fair to expect Dish to charge us more when they have to pay more for the channels throughout the year. Of course we could help out an end to this and help ourselves out, regardless of who our provider is by complaining to the FCC to get them to change their federally mandated monopoly clause there. That would certainly do a lot to make changes.

Reactions: Tampa8
View attachment 110778I see a trend starting already.
As Subscriber count get lower, Average Customer pays more.
These disputes don't help any I'm sure.
This is planned by both Dish and DTV. They have both started taking stances against customers who demand repeated credits and actually cost the company to much money, and started denying customers come back that have terrible history. Smart business move on their part. Better customers, better business model. Make more, while lowering expenses, still not hating on them for providing the BEST value out of any provider, and knowing they are not a charity.