Tell me what I need ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ric44

Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
west ky
Guys Im new here but I know this is the place for good info. The thing is I want to get back into C band satellite programming as my main video feed. Im very dissatisfied with the tv bundle I have with the local telephone company. I still have my 10ft aluminum dish out in the backyard where it has sat unused since the late 80s early 90s. Its all still there (including all cables still ran to the house) and I seem to recall the only problem I had with it right before I stopped using it was one of the limit switches was going bad in the dish actuator and it dumped my dish a couple times by screwing too far out. My old receiver is outdated Im sure (Uniden UST4400) as I think it was old analog technology. I know Id need a new digital receiver but have no earthly idea what kind to get or what kind is best ? Junuo receivers on ebay any good ? I hear ku may be on the way out so I really wouldnt need a combined feed setup would I ? Would not C band give me all I would want to watch? (Im not a big tv nut but do like movies some. and Hist channel,Outdoor channel) Will my old LNB work with a new digital receiver ? Are the current sattelites still on the same arc as the old ones years ago or will my dish have to be reaimed ? Im pretty green as you can see but have always been handy with electronics and have no problem with doing my own work as long as I know what to do. Please point me in the right direction on doing a upgrade and Id be beholding to you. In the meantime Ill get the poison ivy vines off my BUD. Thanks

:welcome to the forum.
The LNB willl work, but only one new FTA receiver can run the polarity servo.
Option 1: use existing analog receiver to move the dish and select polatity.Unless:
1b: Pansat 9500HDX FTA receiver will operate the servo
To have a wider option of receiver -
Option 2: upgrade to a LNBF, analog receiver used to move dish only, FTA will select polarity.
Any FTA receiver will operate an LNBF
Option 3: V Box or G Box replaces analog (dish moving chores) so FTA does it all.

Your dish MAY be Ku capable. If so, a combo C and Ku LNBF may be an option. There's a lot on Ku also.
Aluminum dish, mesh, perforated? the size of the holes in it? Make?
After that long a period, the actuator may need a complete overhaul or replacement.
Check the condition of the dish mount and polar pivots. Free movement but no slop.

>>Junuo receivers on ebay any good<< Have not heard that brand on the forum. but looking you could get 10 of 'em for 300 bucks. I'd personally stay away. Go with a model used by members. Easier to get answers. Recently the one recommended is the SSO. (SSO is referred to many times as they are basically the same "box" - Sathawk, Solomend, Openbox S9.) Openbox S9 and 10's. HD with DVB-S and new technology DVB-S2 in one box.(Junuo only does DVB-S) S2 and HD, for me is a necessity. If there's time before a receiver is purchased, the GEOSATpro microHD Receiver may very well be worth waiting for. [Satellite AV, LLC (Gold Sponsor)] (GEOSATpro microHD Receiver appears like it's going to knock the SSO off it's present perch) With only one band, you're limiting the choices of what you can tune to. For one of your programming likes, presently, an added fixed Ku dish aimed at 30°W may be a possibility in the future.
The arc doesn't move, only the satellites that occupy it. You will probably have to tune up the BUD though.
No hurry at the present in deciding on a receiver, get the dish in shape, and ask more questions. We're all here with answers. (hope I didn't confuse more than help)

Oh thanks for the reply was most helpful. Only thing about using my current analog receiver is that Ive misplaced the remote and would be a hassle without it. My dish is aluminum mesh but maker is unknown. It has turned from black to silver. It did a admirable job in the past though with its signal strength. The c and ku combo sounds interesting. The 200 dollar Pansat is a big ouch though.......... more to think about. Mount is good , polar pivots fine also. This was-is a hell for stout system.

Yeah- the Pansat is a bit of a ouch, but the others with a new LNBF would be a less. Without looking and just by going by memory( OH NO_) an S9 or S10 or the MicroHD, a 741 C+Ku band LNBF and G Box would be pretty close to what the Pansat 9500HDX alone goes for. There's also the used market, but with the proliferation of S2 signals on C band, and the prices of new S2 HD boxes, I personally don't think it's really worth it.
Then again, if you're into sports, a receiver capable of decoding the 4.2.2 may be your "cup o' tea". The only brand I know of, in a stand alone "set top box", is AZbox. Some PCI computer cards are also capable. Just something else to research, if that's a consideration. Now, i want to caution, FTA is not a replacement for a sub on cable, or a small dish like dish or direct. But there is a lot to entertain if one is not constrained by a schedule.
I've forgotten most about a lot of the analog receivers, but if it serves me right, without the remote there's little, or none, that can be programmed into most of them. It may only have every other sat location in memory.(??)

Sounds like I might need to bite the bullet and consider the Pansat 9500. If I understand this right if I did that I could use my existing LNB , wiring , etc. The Pansat would move my dish, set correct polarity on each channel and be more or less a plug and play deal ?

Sounds like I might need to bite the bullet and consider the Pansat 9500. If I understand this right if I did that I could use my existing LNB , wiring , etc. The Pansat would move my dish, set correct polarity on each channel and be more or less a plug and play deal ?

The Pansat 9500 will not move your dish, but it will change polarity on a servo-type feed (or a voltage-controlled LNBF). Your old analog receiver, if it still works, will do both (move dish and change polarity on servo). You can slave a digital FTA receiver to your old analog, that is what I do on one of my setups.

I think there may be 1 or 2 guys here that have the Pansat 9500 but I don't recall a good review, I don't recommend it myself. Pansat has a pretty good rep, just not a lot of FTA hands-on info about the 9500 that I have seen.

If you have an old ribbon-type cable (typically has 2 coaxes and low voltage wiring to support an actuator and servo control), and it is in usable condition, it should work fine.

Definitions of plug-and-play can vary quite a bit, what you are trying to do is not uncommon, but FTA in general is not "plug-and-play", it takes some effort.

If you are just a little mechanically inclined, and can ask good questions, and act upon the good info you will receive here, you should be able to get your old BUD back into service.

I have a Uniden UST 4600 receiver and I just happened to find the remote while ago. I do have the ribbon cable . How do I go about slaving a new FTA receiver to my Uniden ?

Hey guys. I am a newbie to fta and i kind of have things down packed but i also get more confused as i keep reading on. I know that certain companies sell motorized packages but i need to know what is good and why. I desperately want to get rid of directv and my home phone company. They have a scheme that with or without the home phone i would still pay about the same. Next is I really want HD, sports, disney, cartoons, movies, history, nat geo, tlc and etc. A modern but effective box that if i have to get any info online as long as there are directions to follow. In short help. I also need something for 4 rooms. But definately a motorized sat for the living room and my bedroom would be great.

HELP ME PLEASE. i REALLY WANT TO GET IN THIS SO BADLY. DON'T WANT TO MAKE MISTAKE IN BUYING A CLONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really want HD, sports, disney, cartoons, movies, history, nat geo, tlc and etc.
Stay with the subscription. FTA doesn't compare. FTA is a hobby. Although, FTA MAY be a reasonable addition to your subbed, regularly scheduled, channel package. Here's a nice resource to see what channels are available: MPEG Central And realize that none of these channels are guaranteed to remain available. They may scramble at their convenience, and we, The FTA hobbyist, don't get them any longer. Their signals, in most instances, aren't intended for us. So there's No recourse, no complaining.
On to the OP's question:
I have a Uniden UST 4600 receiver and I just happened to find the remote while ago. I do have the ribbon cable . How do I go about slaving a new FTA receiver to my Uniden ?
The easiest way is a Splitter that passes power on one leg only. Satellite AV, LLC - Satellite Broadcaster Support and Equipment Distribution The power pass side is wired to the analog to power the LNB. The power blocked side is wired to the FTA. If your feed is also Ku in addition to C band, a 2nd splitter is required and a 22khz or diseqc switch is required to select band (LNB) with the FTA.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. Now Openbox S9, Pansat 9200+S2(Sick), Pansat 3500SD, 139w to 55.5W +30W is this what you have?

Thank you for your response. Now Openbox S9, Pansat 9200+S2(Sick), Pansat 3500SD, 139w to 55.5W +30W is this what you have?
Yes, my dishes are: a 10 ft steel BUD on C band, (2) 1.2m Primestar*, (1) .7m DTN* and (1) 84e Primestar* used for ku (*Channel Master)

Last edited:
Hey guys got the dish going today and was able to watch some home shopping channels that were still analog. They came in sharp and clear so that tells me the dish is still aimed at the arc ok after all these years. Im still uncertain where I want to go from here .....if I sidecar a FTA receiver alongside my old analog Uniden I can move the dish allright but its gonna be a pain to reprogram all the newer satellites into memory on the Uniden as it only has a sequential number count on dish position and doesnt tell the actual position. I wont know where my dish is in relation to my new receiver will I ? Im inclined to upgrade to a LNBF and go with a vbox to move BUD. Then just pick out a good quality FTA receiver. Does this make sense ?

That's what I did. LNBF and a GBox, so I could eliminate the analog. And then later I added an HD S2 capable receiver. My pansat 9200 fell ill, so replaced with the Openbox S9. I'm happy with it's performance, so the 9200 may be permanently retired. It's got it's hiccups, such as the timer for the DVR function only works for a ONE timed recording, not 10. Occasional video/audio freezing. In earlier post I mentioned the GEOSATpro miniHD from SatAV. Sounds like it's going to have all features, fully working, at a comparable price. Just don't know the exact release date but Jan 2012 has been eluded to as the latest. I am kinda on the edge of my seat on that one.
was able to watch some home shopping channels that were still analog. They came in sharp and clear so that tells me the dish is still aimed at the arc ok after all these years
I can just about guarantee that it's going to need a minor tune up for the digital signals, especially the S2 stuff. Think the analog is a bit more forgiving.

If you want basic tv get a Pansat 4500 PVR and if you what HD feeds which 80% of the are now HD on C band you cant get a Openbox S9 almost for less than $150.00 at most place on the interent.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts