Temporary mount ideas..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Temporary mounting a 6 footer.. anyone ever employ the "pole in a cement filled tin garbage can" method ?

Would probably be heavy enough but likely be tippy when the wind blows,considering the base circle of a typical trash can.A few guy wires should take care of that.

I don't think I'd have a base that didn't span or cover less than 10 sq. ft. 4 ft square base with the pole attached to the center of one edge with the dish over the base. Maybe a few blocks on each front corner??

For that matter, pour a circular cement base 4 to 6 inches thick with studs protruding*see attached* to level the pole. To move it, just remove the dish, tip it up, and roll it away. 4 ft diameter should suffice.
Attached is details of my 'floating slab' mounted BUD

Attachments

• bolt_Detail.jpg
    bolt_Detail.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 165
  • PAD_Detail.jpg
    PAD_Detail.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 2010_may 030.jpg
    2010_may 030.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 239
The bigger the base, the better.

I tried a 5 gallon bucket for a 36" Ku dish.
With the dish at chest level, it seemed okay, but heavy wind tipped it over.
Not suitable for use with a motor.
edit: (some used a shallow plastic wash tub with larger diameter)

Lowering the dish to knee level worked better.
So did using a 20" dish for DBS reception.
(actually made up the bucket back when I subscribed)

For a 6' or 8' dish, you probably want to get the center of the dish down around 3' or 4' off the deck.
What's been successful for some, is a regular wooden pallet.
Mount the (short) pole to one corner, with bracing to the two nearby corners.
Then you hang the dish so the corner furthest from the pole points to your TS.
Look at pictures of non penetrating roof mounts (NPRM) for inspiration.

I have recently seen very strong molded plastic pallets.
Whatever you use, you'll want some cement blocks on top for stability.

Last edited:
I used a heavy wood pallet reinforced with steel for a 6' Fortec dish with a ring mount. Compare to the NPRM on the ground pictured next to it at the time.

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 168
temporary mount

I have seen many dishes mounted on a tripod set-up, with the legs going about 3 to 4 feet out from the center, the legs are held down with a 3 to 4 ft piece of steel rod driven into the ground, leveling is done by sliding the leg up or down on the rod and then tighten a bolt to clamp it in place, very simple and very effective, I have seen 10 ft dishes done this way

A while back I bought a 6 footer that was mounted by tripod on someone's roof and that same tripod seems to work good on the ground. It's a mesh dish so it is real light weight. I can carry the dish across the yard put together without much trouble. If you get some long spikes to put in the holes on the ground where the tripod feet are then it holds good if you dont have a bunch of wind. I wonder if someone can use a non-penetrating mount for such a purpose?

My temporary mount is a project stand. I use it all the time.
SDMOD 004.JPG LaserCKU2 002.JPG

Now standing under a Channel Master Perf
CMPerf 002.JPG

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts