What's the best procedure to get tracking optimally again?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

highskies

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Texarkana
In the past my 7.5' BUD was tracking pretty much spot on. But because of a couple of bad wind storms recently my dish is no longer tracking like it was. I'm still on the arc and all, just not like before. And no matter what I do, I can't seem to get it back like I previously had it. Currently the dish has a clear LOS from AMC 7 to 87w. I can see to 72w, but only when no leaves are on the trees. So anyway, I decided to start over. I will now try and describe where I'm at at this particular point.

The first thing I did was to make sure my lnbf is centered. Measuring from 3 different locations from the bottom edge of the feed to the outside of the dish, I get 48" on the east side, 48" on the bottom, and not quite 48" on the west side, closer to 47 and 3/4". Not certain how critical this 1/4" discrepancy is? Maybe someone knows?

The next thing I did was use analog chs 9 and 10 at C4 135W on the 4DTV to center the skew. After that I centered the BUD on it's zenith and checked the elevation getting it as close as possible to that of my location. My southern sat is pretty much 95W.

I next fired up the S9, tuned to one of the LPTV chs, and then moved the dish on the pole until I got a good lock, which was pretty much in the 80s I think. I then went down to AMC 7 and had no probs locking onto the cpl of Alaskan chs ITC. I locked on in the upper 70s. But I couldn't get a lock on the RTV mux. So I used the remote going both E and W, still couldn't get a lock. What I then did was move the dish on the pole in an easterly direction. I then locked onto the RTV mux, while still maintaining a good lock on the Alaskan chs. But I wasn't getting enough signal yet to tune the RTV chs in without a bunch of tiling.

Since I was already on the western end of the arc, I decided to go over to 131w and check some stuff there, keeping in mind that the only time I changed anything physically on the dish was when I was at AMC 7 and turned the dish on the pole easterly. Now I'm at 131w. The QVC shopping chs tune in at around 80s like in the past, as well as OutsideTV. So I then check SproutHD. No lock at this point. I then click the remote to the east several clicks. SproutHD now locks, but not getting enough signal to get a watchable pic. In the past this ch usually tuned in in the the upper 70s, which means a watchable pic on the S9.

So now I go back up to 95W. LPTV chs still booming in strong, So I decide to check a few things close to this bird, some stuff on AMC 1 and AMC 18. On AMC 1 the ION feeds on tuning in just fine, as well as the DW mux and PBS feeds. However tho, I get zero lock on the TLN channels. So I then move to AMC 18. No problems with the Nasa feeds. The NBC mux, I can get a lock on it, but not enough signal to get a viewable pic. In the past this mux usually tuned in in the high 70s. The Telemundo feeds, getting no lock at this point, tho in the past I never had any issues locking them and getting a viewable pic. The mux that has BounceTv, well no sign of that signal, tho in the past I was able to lock this signal as well.

If I haven't bored you to death by now and if you're still reading, what's the best thing to do at this point? Where do I need to make the proper changes in order to lock onto the signals I'm currently not locking? And finally, since I didn't mention it before, I did check my pole for level. It's still reading level.

I'm certain I can get it all figured out on my own again, I always do. But it would sure be nice if someone could give me a few pointers, thus saving me time by doing things correctly to begin with.

It might be that the wind only affected your east/west adjustment, possibly just twisting the dish on the pole a mite. It gets very tedious with a smaller dish, been there done that, etc. So many factors to figure in when tweaking, and my opinion is that c-band alignment ends up being a compromise. There's more than one way to skin a cat of course, but I tended to try my starting point at my true south satellite. Check elevation, be sure bolts are tight, mark the starting point on the pole and mount. Then, I would go east to the next satellite, check out signals there, and then to next satellite west of due south, checking signals again. Once you find where your tracking starts to sour, then determine whether picking up or pushing down slightly on the bottom of the dish helps or hurts it. I'm not sure if you'll get those RTV signals on 137 on a dish that size, but if you did in the past then it should be possible again. IF the dish didn't lose its shape/pole started to lean, lnb getting weak or off-center, etc.

It might be that the wind only affected your east/west adjustment, possibly just twisting the dish on the pole a mite. It gets very tedious with a smaller dish, been there done that, etc. So many factors to figure in when tweaking, and my opinion is that c-band alignment ends up being a compromise. There's more than one way to skin a cat of course, but I tended to try my starting point at my true south satellite. Check elevation, be sure bolts are tight, mark the starting point on the pole and mount. Then, I would go east to the next satellite, check out signals there, and then to next satellite west of due south, checking signals again. Once you find where your tracking starts to sour, then determine whether picking up or pushing down slightly on the bottom of the dish helps or hurts it. I'm not sure if you'll get those RTV signals on 137 on a dish that size, but if you did in the past then it should be possible again. IF the dish didn't lose its shape/pole started to lean, lnb getting weak or off-center, etc.

Actually, I've been pondering if in fact the lnbf is getting weak or something. The lnbf is fairly new tho. Probably not even a year old yet. I think it's the 741 model, or something like that. Not certain at the moment without checking. Can they go weak that fast? When I first got this lnbf I was blown away by the vast improvements it made compared to the one I replaced it with.

And as far as the RTV feeds, I was able to tune them in, both at AMC 7 and 87 W, tho at times the ones on 87W seemed to disappear for a spell, then magically show up again..

The LO may drift, but I have never heard of a LNBF becoming weak. Educate me!
I was thinking more along the lines of an lnb, since he said he was using a 4DTV I figured he might have an old lnb/polarotor feedhorn. Over the years I've had lnbs gradually go bad, though it usually doesn't take long. I had an old blue Chapparal lnb I kept in the pile, and I'd forget it was bad, would work a few hours or a day or two, then get to where it wouldn't show anything but the strongest signals. Made a frisbee out of it one day!

edit: Duh, I reread it, and then I saw where he said "lnbf", didn't catch it at first.

Since we cleared all of that up, the fact Turbosat misunderstood me (it happens to the best at times, no big deal), that it's not logical that the lnbf is getting weak, but that it is logical the lnbf might be drifting, what then usually causes that? Is it something that can be fixed, or is it best to replace the lnbf at that point? Also, is there a way to test whether the lnbf is drifting or not, and to what degree, in case it is? It seems to me, as an example, if someone has a 4dtv that is, that one can check this in one of the 4dtv hidden menus, something like Options 6778, but I have since forgotten how to do this, so that's probably not correct.

Since we cleared all of that up, the fact Turbosat misunderstood me (it happens to the best at times, no big deal), that it's not logical that the lnbf is getting weak, but that it is logical the lnbf might be drifting, what then usually causes that? Is it something that can be fixed, or is it best to replace the lnbf at that point? Also, is there a way to test whether the lnbf is drifting or not, and to what degree, in case it is? It seems to me, as an example, if someone has a 4dtv that is, that one can check this in one of the 4dtv hidden menus, something like Options 6778, but I have since forgotten how to do this, so that's probably not correct.
Do Options 6,0,5 right arrow to diagnostics C.First number,second line is LO offset,perfect is 0.0,good/acceptable +or- (less than) 2.0, not good +or- 3 or more.
Oh,and you have to be on a DCII of course.:D

Do Options 6,0,5 right arrow to diagnostics C.First number,second line is LO offset,perfect is 0.0,good/acceptable +or- (less than) 2.0, not good +or- 3 or more.
Oh,and you have to be on a DCII of course.:D

That presents a problem then. Ever since I replaced my older lnbf with the one I have now, I have been unable to get any locks on any DCII signals via the 922, yet this newer lnbf has performed exceptionally better on dvb signals, as compared to the lnbf I replaced it with. What I'm now thinking about doing, if I can remember where I put the older lnbf, is to put that one on the BUD in order to see if I can get a lock on any DCII signals or not. If I can, then I'm not certain what that means, since I would think this newer lnbf would have performed better on DCII signals as well. And if I can't get a lock, then that likely means the 922 has a malfunction somewhere, and it was just a coincidence that this occurred around the same time I replaced the older lnbf with this one..

Did you put the newer LNBF back to the same orientation for H/V as the old one?
On the 922, go options, 6, 4, 2 & check the settings for the dish such as the choices for C-band LNB or LNBF, standard or 90* rotation.

Did you set the 4D to "Rotated 90' " when you installed the LNBF ?Options 6,4,2.Also make sure it's set for LNB Type, C&Ku LNBF's.

I just checked after seeing this post. In the LNB type I have C-Band LNBF selected. In the Feedhorn Polarization, Rotated 90 is checked. The few analog channels that remain, they tune in just fine, with a signal of around 92, at least the ones at C4, the shopping channels.

I just checked after seeing this post. In the LNB type I have C-Band LNBF selected. In the Feedhorn Polarization, Rotated 90 is checked. The few analog channels that remain, they tune in just fine, with a signal of around 92, at least the ones at C4, the shopping channels.
Well looks like you have it set right.Is it an older General Instrument 922? I suspect one of the small electrolytic capacitors near the tuner has gone bad.I had one with that problem,analogs worked fine but couldn't get a digital lock.Did some "sniffing" with an oscilloscope ,found the bad cap,replaced it and worked fine again.That particular 922 has since found it's way to Venezuela. :D
Just to add,you can set it for C&Ku so that you get all the sat tiles to have more dish positions.You don't need or really want a Ku coax hooked to the 4D to do this.

Last edited:
Well looks like you have it set right.Is it an older General Instrument 922? I suspect one of the small electrolytic capacitors near the tuner has gone bad.I had one with that problem,analogs worked fine but couldn't get a digital lock.Did some "sniffing" with an oscilloscope ,found the bad cap,replaced it and worked fine again.That particular 922 has since found it's way to Venezuela. :D
Just to add,you can set it for C&Ku so that you get all the sat tiles to have more dish positions.You don't need or really want a Ku coax hooked to the 4D to do this.

Yes, it is the older GI. And on top of that, the battery has never been changed in it. I only use this thing for a dish mover anymore. Even if I could get a lock on the DCII signals, not much I would watch on there anyway. I'm already familiar with the few feeds one can get using generic tiles. But not many of those feeds left, so i'm not really missing much.

As far as this newer lnbf I have, well just out of the clear blue sky it quit working yesterday altogether. On the S9 everything is showing a 10, which I guess means no signal. After I had noticed that, I found my older lnbf. I then turned the S9 completely off with the on/off switch on the back, then replaced lnbfs. I then turned the S9 back on. I was now getting a signal and could tune them in. So that tells me that the other lnbf for sure bit the dust. I have no clue how it could have just done that out of the clear blue sky like that? Now I have to get another lnbf, but it aint going to be this brand, since I no longer trust it if it just quits working like that for no reason whatsoever. I just checked the label on the lnbf, it's an ESX241.

Well at least it solved it's own mystery,it died!:D
Really tho considering what a true high quality lnb used to (and still does)cost,it's amazing these cheap chinese things work at all,and some do work really well.I bought 2 BSC621 c/ku lnbf's from Lee Richardson,I'm sure you remember him,back when he first started selling them,6? years ago_One took a lightning hit,fried,the other is still working fine on my 10' Winegard.

Well at least it solved it's own mystery,it died!:D

I was beginning to think I was losing my mind again, and that maybe I didn't really know how to track a dish afterall, and that i had simply gotten lucky in the past, so now I needed someone to give me a few pointers. But I do know how to track a dish, tho I wouldn't call myself a pro or anything, but no matter what I did, some of these signals wouldn't lock anymore. And here I was blaming it on a cpl of windstorms, blaming it on myself as well, that perhaps I didn't really know how to track a dish afterall, when it seems now, that the problem was a failing lnbf the entire time.

Anyone have an lnbf they would recommend? Besides the esx241 that is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)