Thanks to DIRT Team & Sat. Guys DISH Launches "Int. World News Package" Today !

mario315

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 20, 2008
Florida
Last month I posted here an apparent engineering/programming issue with DISH which did not allow us to subscribe to the new FRANCE 24 ENGLISH News Channel (in the International Basic Package) unless we dropped our core basic package (in my case, America's Everything Pack)..... Even though I was willing to pay the extra $10/month (for the Int. Basic Package) the DISH system would only allow one package or the other...It didn't make any sense why DISH would turn down the additional business and sure enough, behind the scenes, the DIRT Team led by Mary B. began to work on this problem....We corresponded through private messages back and forth (during the last month) and this morning I got the amazing news that..... not only would DISH make available FRANCE 24 ENGLISH available for purchase (effective today) without having to drop AEP, but that DISH was launching today a new 5 Channel Package called "INTERNATIONAL WORLD NEWS PACKAGE" for $5.00/month.....

This new package consists of 5 English-language International News channels as follows:

1) EURONEWS......... Ch. 9793
2) FRANCE 24 ENGLISH....... Ch. 9864
3) RUSSIA TODAY (RT 24)...... Ch. 280
4) NDTV 24 (India)............... Ch. 579
5) TIMES NOW (India)......... Ch. 652

All the channels, except Russia Today, come off 118.7..... Russia Today is on 119.... All 5 are in SD...

Given previous threads here on Sat. Guys where many DISH subscribers have expressed interest in a world news package, this should be very welcome news indeed.... Hopefully, DISH will keep adding more channels to this package in the near future....

Personally, I asked Mary B. for the following 2 channels to be added: BBC World News and CNN International.....

The US "news" channels provide such little international news these days, that this sort of package will hopefully gain some traction and popularity for DISH....

Once again, Satellite Guys makes it happen !.... Thanks Scott and the amazing DIRT Team....

I've been wanting BBC World News for ever (at least it seems that way). I record 2 hrs M-F so that I can get at least that. Right now the big story that have been reporting is about the nutcase in Norway's trial. US news has reported almost nothing on it past the original story when he went on the shooting spree. Glad you were able to get some kind of Int package but come on guys BBC World News is one of the top news organizations of the World.

Russia today is also on 72.7...... it is included in some regular packages also.

This is a good first step. Many of us have suggested there be such a package. I get Euronews A La Carte now and we watch it daily and find it right up there with the reporting of BBC, in fact more objective. (I watch BBC on Roku, also France 24) I most likely will get this pack for the $2 more I am paying for EuroNews.
BTW CCTV (China news) is also in the packages

Last edited:
mario315 said:
Last month I posted here an apparent engineering/programming issue with DISH which did not allow us to subscribe to the new FRANCE 24 ENGLISH News Channel (in the International Basic Package) unless we dropped our core basic package (in my case, America's Everything Pack)..... Even though I was willing to pay the extra $10/month (for the Int. Basic Package) the DISH system would only allow one package or the other...It didn't make any sense why DISH would turn down the additional business and sure enough, behind the scenes, the DIRT Team led by Mary B. began to work on this problem....We corresponded through private messages back and forth (during the last month) and this morning I got the amazing news that..... not only would DISH make available FRANCE 24 ENGLISH available for purchase (effective today) without having to drop AEP, but that DISH was launching today a new 5 Channel Package called "INTERNATIONAL WORLD NEWS PACKAGE" for $5.00/month.....

This new package consists of 5 English-language International News channels as follows:

1) EURONEWS......... Ch. 9793
2) FRANCE 24 ENGLISH....... Ch. 9864
3) RUSSIA TODAY (RT 24)...... Ch. 280
4) NDTV 24 (India)............... Ch. 579
5) TIMES NOW (India)......... Ch. 652

All the channels, except Russia Today, come off 118.7..... Russia Today is on 119.... All 5 are in SD...

Given previous threads here on Sat. Guys where many DISH subscribers have expressed interest in a world news package, this should be very welcome news indeed.... Hopefully, DISH will keep adding more channels to this package in the near future....

Personally, I asked Mary B. for the following 2 channels to be added: BBC World News and CNN International.....

The US "news" channels provide such little international news these days, that this sort of package will hopefully gain some traction and popularity for DISH....

Once again, Satellite Guys makes it happen !.... Thanks Scott and the amazing DIRT Team....

I just tried to add this and they said its not available???
Huh??

I just tried to add this and they said its not available???
Huh??

They turned on the Package for me today at 5PM (ET).... I've been watching since then..... The thing is so new I'll bet most CSR's have not been briefed on it yet..... Keep trying !

They turned on the Package for me today at 5PM (ET).... I've been watching since then..... The thing is so new I'll bet most CSR's have not been briefed on it yet..... Keep trying !

Will you send me your phone number or account number? I understand that you have it, but would like to check something.

*edit* - Nevermind, thank you though!

Thanks Mario! Ive been watching some of these channels through my Roku. Much easier if I can
get it through dish.

Its a pain getting a call center oversees. They had no clue. They told me it was disscontinued.

Will you send me your phone number or account number? I understand that you have it, but would like to check something.

*edit* - Nevermind, thank you though!

Matt, I just sent it to you via PM..... T

Also, the DISH Website should get a page for this Package, don't you think ?... Thanks !

Well excitement is muted. You can't get that package with an English package only apparently, you must also have an international package. Poster has an international package also just didn't mention it...... Too bad.

MattG@ DISH NETWORK said:
I'm getting clarification on this

Currently, it seems that you do need to have another international package on the account before we can add it.

That's an asinine requirement given that these are English language channels. Why turn away people that are willing to pay extra for these channels? BBC and CNNI would get be nice adds that would sell me on this package. I already sub to an international channel, so that wouldn't be an issue.

It just occurred to me that if most of these are on 118, the requirement of an existing international package might make sense, since most likely subs won't have a Dish pointed to 118 to pick these up.

I know you said most won't have 118 with no internationals, probably true, but I do!! :)

It could be treated like any other upgrade, if you need to upgrade equipment you may have to pay for it, you may not based on whatever dish usually bases it on. I would understand if they have to charge someone to install the 118 satellite just to get a $5 package. But it should be an option.

If the channels are in English, they shouldn't be on the satellite with the foreign-language channels. I don't see why Dish doesn't understand that. Even if they'd want to have them on 118 for the people who only subscribe to foreign channels, you can't tell me that a handful of SD channels take up that much bandwidth. (Or shouldn't take up that much bandwidth, anyway -- why aren't they getting rid of MPEG2 on Western Arc yet, again?)

They just put EuroNews and TVJapan only on 118, so doubful they would put EuroNews and even more back....

I know you said most won't have 118 with no internationals, probably true, but I do!! :)

It could be treated like any other upgrade, if you need to upgrade equipment you may have to pay for it, you may not based on whatever dish usually bases it on. I would understand if they have to charge someone to install the 118 satellite just to get a $5 package. But it should be an option.

I have 118 as well. This is silly. Why not offer this new package ala cart? By the time your done your spending 15 to 20 bucks?
I guess ill stick with Roku. Too bad dish!

Thanks for you help Matt. You tried.

Jim S. said:
If the channels are in English, they shouldn't be on the satellite with the foreign-language channels. I don't see why Dish doesn't understand that. Even if they'd want to have them on 118 for the people who only subscribe to foreign channels, you can't tell me that a handful of SD channels take up that much bandwidth. (Or shouldn't take up that much bandwidth, anyway -- why aren't they getting rid of MPEG2 on Western Arc yet, again?)

An international channel is an international channel regardless of the language it's broadcast in. Can't fault Dish for deciding it's best to have all those only on 118 to create room for domestic programming on the main arcs. They know the numbers related to channel viewership demand and have all the info needed to efficiently allocate their bandwidth, we don't.

That said, I don't think international programming should be required to add this. I agree with the post that said charging for a sat dish upgrade would be a reasonable means of handling this.

I'm getting clarification on this

Currently, it seems that you do need to have another international package on the account before we can add it.

Matt, what about if a "special installation fee" is applied to customers without an international base package so that they can get this "World News Package" ?..... That's for customers without the 118.7 LNB.... But for customers already looking at 118.7, why would DISH care ?.... Why would they turn down this additional business ?.... Makes no sense !

Can we move this issue up the ladder in Denver ?.... Thanks as always !!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)