The 942 is HERE!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So, since everybody who has one says the 942 is what the 921 should have been, when is Dish going to contact me to swap out my 921???

StevenD said:
So, since everybody who has one says the 942 is what the 921 should have been, when is Dish going to contact me to swap out my 921???

Hint: When Ford gives everyone that bought a new Ford Pinto a new Ford Focus, or when you see Lucifer waring ice skates, whichever comes first ;)

WOW, that looks just like the 522, except for the guide with video (4 channels instead of 5) and the "TV Guide" logo on the screen.
I didn't know the 942 had so much recording time - 25 hrs/HD and 180 hrs/SD? WOW! I don't even have an HD set but I want to replace my 522 already!! :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Ok we found a problem with the 942 that is now driving us crazy with the 942.

We were watching a show we recorded last night. The phone rang so we paused the show. (Caller ID worked and looked good!) after my wife got off the phone she unpaused it, and it started playing however the audio and video were way out of synch almost a 1 second delay between the picture and the sound. The lips moved first then you heard the sound a second later.

Lets hope this was a fluke.

This happens to me sometimes with my 721 and all I do is hit the flashback button and usually that clears it up. SOmetimes I may have to hit the flashback button a couple times and the skip forward button, but rarely.
Good luck.

Where's the sticker? I couldn't see it in the pics.

If its like the 921, the sticker was on the drive cage and drive - I had no problem removing the drive _cage_ to attach the drive to my PC, so long as I didn't take the drive out of its cage (bracket).

Scott/Mark??

I was just wondering, and I didn't remember if this was covered in Mark's review the following question.

SInce the 942 is a 2 tuner receiver, can I watch DiscoveryHD on tuner one and on tuner 2 even though it only has SD output for tv2.(Would it/can it downconvert the HD to SD for TV2) I'm thinking no, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

It would br a good way to go from room to room and not miss what you were viewing, even if it isn't in 1080i in lets say the *kitchen*.

Just curious.

Can I ask a stupid question? These new recievers are all well and good but what good will they be when they switch over to MPG4? Will they even work with HD? Thanks and good luck with it. Bob P.

Good idea, removing just the drive cage might let use see a part number for the drive.

We could then cross reference it to the model number to get the drive size.

942 search movies error?

Just got my 942 installed. When I go to menu-search-movies, all I get is an error message. I can search sports, news, ect. just fine. Anybody else seeing this?

Daryl

Scott Greczkowski said:
We were watching a show we recorded last night. The phone rang so we paused the show. (Caller ID worked and looked good!) after my wife got off the phone she unpaused it, and it started playing however the audio and video were way out of synch almost a 1 second delay between the picture and the sound. The lips moved first then you heard the sound a second later.
Hehe, I've read about this before.... Where was it ?? Oh I remember. It's a site called satelliteguys.us and they have a forum for Dish DVRs. Take a look there. It's quite common. ;)

You can probably find a work-around or solution for the screen-saver problem too.

Bizzach said:
I didn't know the 942 had so much recording time - 25 hrs/HD and 180 hrs/SD?
I don't recall the specs or how Dish normally reports it, but I'd bet it's not "and", but "or", as in "25hrs HD or 180hrs SD".

Then again, this page, http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/receivers/dvr/index.shtml, says "Up to 180 hours SD recording, up to 25 hours HD recording, or any combination of the two". I still think that means "or"...

Hall: You are correct. The ratio is 7:1 for HD:SD.

Roughly, 10GB/hour for HD and it's got at least a 250GB HDD - like the 921.

If it's bigger, the rest of the space is probably for VOD ripoffs like the 625.

I have one, well maybe two questions. How is the OTA tuner on the 942? Does it have the same problems at locking stations that my 811 has? Is the PQ any better than the 811? I am trying to figure out if there is any reason to replace my current 811/510 combo. I will not get any monetary benefit since I will be trading the second receiver charge for a new "lease" charge, no benefit there. From what I have read you cannot use the USB port to pass any data to my PC, no benefit there. What can I gain that will make it worth the 250.00? Oops, that was three questions ;)

I think you answered most of them ;)

What I've read is that the ota tuner in the 942 is a newer generation than the 811 and 921. HD PQ difference doesn't really change with the receiver, it looks the same as the others. But the menus are all 16x9 and prettier than the 811

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)