The basics of 4DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pestie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Spring Hill, FL
I've seen the term 4DTV thrown around a lot, but I don't think I've ever seen it explained in one place before. What I've gathered is that it's a C-band subscription service offered by Motorola requiring special 4DTV receivers and that it's encrypted with Digicipher II. I've also heard that you can't get any other FTA stuff in DCII - only what Motorola sends down in some master data stream. Have I got it right?

I believe you are correct...I think Motorola owns Digicipher...NOT Videocipher, so that your assumptions are correct, to the best of my knowledge.

Owned a 4dtv 920 for 10+ years and just upgraded to a 922....did a battery swap on the 920 so it is good for another 10yrs...I hope!
Regards
jeff

voomvoom said:
There is also some 4dtv found on ku-band.
Al

OK, thanks - that's something I wasn't clear on. Everyone I see here talking about 4DTV is doing so in the C-band forum, but I haven't really looked around that much either. I know there's a lot of DCII on Ku but I didn't know if any of it was part of any 4DTV packages or not.

pestie said:
OK, thanks - that's something I wasn't clear on. Everyone I see here talking about 4DTV is doing so in the C-band forum, but I haven't really looked around that much either. I know there's a lot of DCII on Ku but I didn't know if any of it was part of any 4DTV packages or not.
While there is Ku stuff, you need the c-band side for the authorization and to get the guide. This is where the big dish comes into play.

I've got it running on my 5' dish but I concider my dish to kind of be a freak of nature as far as 4DTV goes :p .

pestie said:

Hi There...

You need a dual C/KU feedhorn of course with both LNB's...Sat X4 is a pretty good KU band bird...

Skyvision actually sells a reasonably priced X4 ku package too! KU is a lot less forgiving than C band though...your dish must be "right on" the mark but once there..has very good PQ!
Regards
jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts