The compression is getting out of hand

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Check out the Baylor vs TCU game on 106 of you want to see what sports is supposed to look like.
Very impressive!

Yep I have it too and it looks great. But now today’s problem is NBC 4 hockey is grainy and sh*t. The NBC sports stream isn’t any better.

Some channels are becoming borderline unwatchable with what I'm assuming is compression. Prime example is today's Lions Vikings game on channel 5- artifacts, blurry, awful. It looks like 1997. I switch to my AppleTV Gen 4, load up Fox Sports Go and the stream is 100000x sharper, clearer and no compression.

Most TV Everywhere Apps are at 1080P.

Reactions: peelpub94
Most TV Everywhere Apps are at 1080P.

Most of the streaming services I use are also sending out a noticeably higher bitrate (less compression) than cable and satellite providers do. I still keep Charter Spectrum TV because the bundle is a good deal but streaming from HBO Go provides significantly better picture quality than watching HBO from cable on my big 4K TV.

Most of the streaming services I use are also sending out a noticeably higher bitrate (less compression) than cable and satellite providers do. I still keep Charter Spectrum TV because the bundle is a good deal but streaming from HBO Go provides significantly better picture quality than watching HBO from cable on my big 4K TV.

Same. I guess we just have to deal?

Same. I guess we just have to deal?

This is how it is going to be unless cable and satellite providers find a way to give each channel more bandwidth. It's easier for streaming because they only have to have enough bandwidth for the content you are streaming at any given time instead of all channels at once.

Reactions: Jimbo
You guys must have the world's best Internet - HBO doesn't look as good streaming for me as Directv. 4K streaming is barely better than HD. Plus it have to buffer sometimes if too much is streaming at once. I think Directv looks great on my 50" 4K TV at 10 feet away, for the most part. The little video and audio blips that have been happening to some of us are annoying, but Comcast and Dish don't have as many sports and all streaming certainly doesn't so I am kinda stuck anyway...

You guys must have the world's best Internet - HBO doesn't look as good streaming for me as Directv. 4K streaming is barely better than HD. Plus it have to buffer sometimes if too much is streaming at once. I think Directv looks great on my 50" 4K TV at 10 feet away, for the most part. The little video and audio blips that have been happening to some of us are annoying, but Comcast and Dish don't have as many sports and all streaming certainly doesn't so I am kinda stuck anyway...

I think most streaming video is mpeg 4 just like Dish and Directv. They are streaming a higher resolution and a higher bitrate than Dish and Directv so I’m not sure how they can look worse as long as you have the internet to support it. Any connection that is actual broadband (25Mbps or higher according to the FCC) should be more than enough to handle streaming video.

I have the same issue with football. I have a 106” screen with a 4K projector and football looks awful most of the time, FOX especially. The 4K sports on Directv look great when they are on. I also stream HBO, Showtime & Stars with Amazon Video. The image quality is night and day compared to directv. Almost looks like Blu-ray quality. (60mbps internet speed) Most everything looks great on my 60” & 43” TVs on Directv.

I get 250Mbps down in NY. There is a noticeable drop in quality once you move into 65" and higher. Like I said before, it still looks incredible on my 42" plasma.

As more and more consumers buy into the large screen format, I have a feeling there will be some changes coming.

I get 250Mbps down in NY. There is a noticeable drop in quality once you move into 65" and higher. Like I said before, it still looks incredible on my 42" plasma.

As more and more consumers buy into the large screen format, I have a feeling there will be some changes coming.

Two towns over from me is NY and they can only get 60 with Spectrum. We can only get 50 with Comcast. Both are subpar. In Burlington VT you can get 100 down which is better but not available here.

I have the same issue with football. I have a 106” screen with a 4K projector and football looks awful most of the time, FOX especially. The 4K sports on Directv look great when they are on. I also stream HBO, Showtime & Stars with Amazon Video. The image quality is night and day compared to directv. Almost looks like Blu-ray quality. (60mbps internet speed) Most everything looks great on my 60” & 43” TVs on Directv.
Well, if your signal looks great at say 70" and you decide to make it 120", of course its not gonna look as good.
You can only push things so far before it starts to break down ...
When you buy that large of a TV set up, you know that going in.

Two towns over from me is NY and they can only get 60 with Spectrum. We can only get 50 with Comcast. Both are subpar. In Burlington VT you can get 100 down which is better but not available here.
How sad when 50-60 is considered INFERIOR.
A few years ago, 8 was the best I could get, the other company offered 1.5.

WFVX up here is such garbage. I rue when they carry a football game I want to watch. Redzone is night and day better even though it's still 720p.

When it comes to streaming... if you have above 25Mbps you should be fine, I think this is the max of any streaming service, (VUDU & Amazon iirc). Netflix 4k is only 15Mbps (one of the reasons it looks the worst of any 4k).

Now if you have a bunch of people in your house simultaneously using the internet, you're going to want 50Mbps or more to make sure you don't get buffering (and a properly configured router that prioritizes device bandwidth :biggrin). Anything higher than that isn't going to get you much in regards to better quality video. If you are the only internet user, you could get by with 30Mbps.

Max available to me is around 12Mbps. And I live in the suburban area of a large city.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts