The CW HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shadowfayre

Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
I am looking into D* but I noticed that I cannot get the CW in HD in my city (Seattle). Does any city have this channel or any plans on it being added in the HD channel lineup?

The only useful show is Smallville, but I really dont want to watch it in SD; however, Comcastic versus D* is no comparison in channel lineup.

Thanks,

The CW is only in about six markets, in OKC, we dont get it here in HD either. The OTA signal is so spotty here if the wind blows the wrong way,you lose it

Hopefully it will come to Seattle eventually (after D11 is operational at the latest). Several markets have one or two more local HD channels than we do, so it may happen with SW1. I receive it fine here, but the Seattle DMA is large enough that there are many who do not get any of the digital signals OTA.

Here in North Texas, we don't have CW in HD on D* yet, but I have to think it is very near to coming online. The CW in SD is on channel DL33 here and there is a second channel 33 right below it that shows "CW33 - no information available" in the guide. It has been there since we subscribed mid September. When I've called D* to inquire about it, the CSRs have no clue as to why it is there and tech support will only say that if there is a second channel, it will be the HD version at some point in the near future.

What sucks for now is we live about 30 miles north of Dallas and since our house was originally built without an OTA antenna, we can't get any OTA HD reception. We've tried a few small antennas, but we're too far out and they get no reception. Adding an OTA antenna is too expensive as our HOA will not allow one to be placed on the outside of the house, it must be in the attic and it would be impossible to get the wiring to the TV since the house is 2 story and the TV is on an interior wall. I guess we wait to see the CW in HD until D* brings it online.

Here in SW Michigan CW is a sub-channel only in SD OTA, so even if D* got it as a local we still wouldn't get HD (at least I don't think we would). I actually watch 3 shows (Smallville, Supernatural, and Reaper), so it would be cool to have it in HD. Oh well.

Here in SW Michigan CW is a sub-channel only in SD OTA, so even if D* got it as a local we still wouldn't get HD (at least I don't think we would). I actually watch 3 shows (Smallville, Supernatural, and Reaper), so it would be cool to have it in HD. Oh well.

Yeah I'm thinking WWMT would prevent us from getting the HD version from another area. I would try asking for a waiver though.

The CW is only in about six markets, in OKC, we dont get it here in HD either. The OTA signal is so spotty here if the wind blows the wrong way,you lose it

That's because 34's transmission line burned out at the top of the tower. I believe they are now stuck at a lower than normal power for a while.

Local Markets with the CW in HD

Here is a list of the local markets that also have the CW in HD:

Atlanta, GA
Chicago, IL
Los Angeles, CA
Philadelphia, PA
Raleigh/Durham, NC
Sacramento / Stockton / Modesto, CA

I live over a 100 miles from Nashville, TN & we do not have the CW in HD. Every time I have asked this same question, everyone's reply is get an OTA. They only work up to 50 miles with very BEST equipment.

The real hope is that DTV will add the CW in HD to the Distant Network Package. I don't think we will see it added to LOL market place till sometime next year, most likely in April, maybe March.

I live over a 100 miles from Nashville, TN & we do not have the CW in HD. Every time I have asked this same question, everyone's reply is get an OTA. They only work up to 50 miles with very BEST equipment.

That's not really true. I'm 62 miles from Huntsville, and pick up everything OTA from there. I get the same results (nearly 100% signal) with a Channel Master 4228 and an Antenna's Direct XG91. I do have the antennas on a 35-foot mast though.

Here is a list of the local markets that also have the CW in HD:

Atlanta, GA
Chicago, IL
Los Angeles, CA
Philadelphia, PA
Raleigh/Durham, NC
Sacramento / Stockton / Modesto, CA

The real hope is that DTV will add the CW in HD to the Distant Network Package. I don't think we will see it added to LOL market place till sometime next year, most likely in April, maybe March.

It's in HD in Knoxville, depending on whenever they remember to flip the switch. If you live East of Nashville try the Knoxville station (WBXX - Analog 20 and digital 50), their tower is on the top of Windrock Mountain near Oliver Springs and I know you can get it in Cookeville because my cousin watches it. I know some people up near Lexington that can get it as well. That might be an option.

OTA will not be an option for me either. I am out in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains. Way too many trees and mountains for a small antenna anyways. I could get a roof-top version and would be able to get CW; but I dont see the cost in it for just one channel. I was mostly checking to see if there was some issue with CW like there is on Dish with FOX (some sort of dispute in my area).

With the one (oh yeah, two; since I started watching the reaper) shows, I can deal with SD programming.

Thanks!

(Of course, all of this depends on the availability of Satellite in my area) :/

Here in North Texas, we don't have CW in HD on D* yet, but I have to think it is very near to coming online. The CW in SD is on channel DL33 here and there is a second channel 33 right below it that shows "CW33 - no information available" in the guide. It has been there since we subscribed mid September. When I've called D* to inquire about it, the CSRs have no clue as to why it is there and tech support will only say that if there is a second channel, it will be the HD version at some point in the near future.

What sucks for now is we live about 30 miles north of Dallas and since our house was originally built without an OTA antenna, we can't get any OTA HD reception. We've tried a few small antennas, but we're too far out and they get no reception. Adding an OTA antenna is too expensive as our HOA will not allow one to be placed on the outside of the house, it must be in the attic and it would be impossible to get the wiring to the TV since the house is 2 story and the TV is on an interior wall. I guess we wait to see the CW in HD until D* brings it online.

Howdy, I too live in North TX, little town of Forney about 33 miles from the broadcast tower for CW33. I was in the same boat as I really wanted to watch a few shows on that network in HD and Direct doesn’t offer that channel in this market. You stated in your post that you can’t install and OTA due to an HOA that is just not true they can not stop you. I’ll post a link if need be but that right is protected by law and they can not stop you. I would have placed mine on the roof but I was able to get 100% signal by installing a Wine Guard ghost killer antenna in my attic above my garage. I bump heads with my HOA all the time but for other items they put in the bylaws that they can not legally enforce.

I wish DirecTV would provide an HD version of The CW for those of us without any way to get it via OTA (CW is cable only here). They gave us SD from Baltimore (for a price), so why not an HD version?

I called up and asked why no CW in HD and they said that it was a carrier agreement issue. No clue if the CSR knew what she was talking about, but that was her reasoning.

HOA's can't stop you from putting an outside antenna up. Research the telecommunications act of 1996 and you will find all the information you need. Hell you can even put it on a 12' pole if you want and they can't stop you.

Full power because i live 60 miles from okc and my meter on the 622 is 100% all the time and now channel 30 is full power at 99%

Howdy, I too live in North TX, little town of Forney about 33 miles from the broadcast tower for CW33. I was in the same boat as I really wanted to watch a few shows on that network in HD and Direct doesn’t offer that channel in this market. You stated in your post that you can’t install and OTA due to an HOA that is just not true they can not stop you. I’ll post a link if need be but that right is protected by law and they can not stop you. I would have placed mine on the roof but I was able to get 100% signal by installing a Wine Guard ghost killer antenna in my attic above my garage. I bump heads with my HOA all the time but for other items they put in the bylaws that they can not legally enforce.

This is true. The HOA can not tell DFWHD that he can not put up an OTA antenna. I live in Allen, about 35 miles N of Dallas. I went to Fry's and bought a $24.95 roof mount antenna. I get every one of the local Dallas stations way up here and they are all clear. By this I mean no breakups. The HD on C33 looks great. And it's free. Give it a try.

Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)