The CW in HD?

I doubt WSEE DT2 will ever go HD. The only things you'll see on any of WSEE's channels/subchannels in HD in the foreseeable future are the CBS network shows. Even Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy are shown in Standard def.

This has to do with the fact that the HD version of these shows cost more than SD. Also probably the playout server or tape machines they have to play them are SD.

That's what I'm thinking. Erie is one of the smaller markets, so I would imagine all of the local channels only have the budget to show network programming in HD. The head of programming for WSEE and WICU told me in e-mail about a year and a half ago that they'll eventually get to the point where they'll be able to air syndicated shows in HD as well, but it will take some time before they do so.

That's what I'm thinking. Erie is one of the smaller markets, so I would imagine all of the local channels only have the budget to show network programming in HD. The head of programming for WSEE and WICU told me in e-mail about a year and a half ago that they'll eventually get to the point where they'll be able to air syndicated shows in HD as well, but it will take some time before they do so.
Actually what they do is take the sat feed and just pass it thru to transmitter and then when it's local commercial time they switch to their old SD server or tapes. Been there at 2 stations that we eventaully went HD with new servers. To play the HD syndicated shows they will have to add HD sat receivers which are not cheap. Then they will need to have a server that can handle HD playout. Those aren't cheap either have helped install & maintain them.

This has to do with the fact that the HD version of these shows cost more than SD. Also probably the playout server or tape machines they have to play them are SD.

The market 65 miles down the road from me (Mankato, MN) is like that. CBS and Fox subchannel. The only thing in HD (well for Fox 480i widescreen) is the network passthrough. Everything else is BBH (black bar hell). So Fox is basically primetime and sports. CBS is primetime, the national news, sports, and the daytime stuff like TPIR and the Soaps. All syndicated stuff is not in HD (Dr Phil, Wheel, Ellen, etc).

The problem with the CBS is during Saturday's they are notorious for having the computer drop the HD at a specific time even if the programming isnt over. So lets say the basketball game runs past 5:00....sorry at 5:00 the side bars are gone and now its back to black bars. Every night we see it. National news runs from 5:30-6 and at 5:58 the black bars show up...usually right after they say "good night"

They can't even do the news in 16:9 widescreen. HD for them is a long way away but they can't even do it in widescreen

Last edited:
It's expensive to replace the old SD master control system. Last one I figured out was over $100k. HD studio cameras aren't cheap either. They can easily be $20k or more each. :D

The problem with the CBS is during Saturday's they are notorious for having the computer drop the HD at a specific time even if the programming isnt over. So lets say the basketball game runs past 5:00....sorry at 5:00 the side bars are gone and now its back to black bars. Every night we see it. National news runs from 5:30-6 and at 5:58 the black bars show up...usually right after they say "good night"

Yeow! Erie doesn't really have that problem. Every now and then, a network show on CBS will downgrade to standard, but usually someone is there to fix it, and it jumps back to HD. The problem usually lasts anywhere from two to five minutes. At least that was the problem when I had all of the locals on Time Warner. Don't know if that's still the case now, as I'm unable to get local programming due to a tree blocking, and not having been able to pull in local CBS, NBC, or CW through the OTA module for more than a minute at a time on rare occasions (hence why All American Direct is supplying me with distant CBS and NBC).

They can't even do the news in 16:9 widescreen. HD for them is a long way away but they can't even do it in widescreen

It's the same here, local news is always in SD, with the black bars to the side.

We are fortunate in Tulsa. All the stations have upgraded their equipment and do all local programming and news in HD and all but our Fox affiliate have done the upgrades for syndicated and time delayed HD. Our CBS affiliate is currently airing local news programming in 16:9 SD even though they film in HD, until their new broadcast building is completed in the next few months, but they pass the network and syndicated HD through.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I keep getting commercials watching Hulu saying that CW shows are available the next day on Hulu Plus. It may be something the OP wants to check out. I've got a Roku and it works well watching HD content on Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon Instant Video...

Why has no one mentined the yearly February 17th date which requires a phase-in for carriage of all HD locals in a market, if one is already carried? The requirement is currently 30% of the markets, but will increase to 60% on 02/17/12 and 100% on 02/17/13. Here in San Francisco it seems pretty apparent that we will have all of our locals carried in HD in about a month. I say this because they recently added three more (KQED, KRCB and KCSM) which makes for 11 of 15. I expect they will add the other four (KOFY, KBCW, KSTS and KKPX). This is a market's best hope for getting the CW in HD.

Big markets first my A$$. I'm in Phila market. Top 5. no PBS or CW.

I never said big markets first. I only said, here in San Francisco, it appears likely that we will be one of the markets used to meet the 60% threshold which kicks in on 02/17/12. Since we now have 11 of 15, and some of those aren't major stations, and were recently added, it seems likely they will be adding the other four stations by 02/17/12. I don't know this for sure, but it seems to be a logical conclusion based upon the recent addition of three more stations. I have no idea what will happen in Philadelphia!

still waiting for KMAX-HD in Sacramento. They should add KTLA-HD to markets on the west coast and WPIX-HD to markets on the east that don't get CW in HD.

still waiting for KMAX-HD in Sacramento. They should add KTLA-HD to markets on the west coast and WPIX-HD to markets on the east that don't get CW in HD.

they can't...rules prevent them from adding any local outside of your area unless it is missing. This does not include the HD version

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts