The End of VOOM?

SactoCal said:
My wife actually told me all the money I had spent on our plasma and shiznit was finally justified when I brought in Voom. She loves the PQ and told me she can now travel the world (Equator) from our couch. When I told here about James and his sidestepping Chuck, the sale of the satellite, and the uncertainty surrounding the future of Voom, she actually got upset and almost cried.

Very touching. She got a sister?

End of VOOM?!?

Not possible...VOOM was stillborn.
Never had a chance.
A snowballs chance in hell is bigger than the chance VOOM ever had.
They got into the game to late.

I would pay extra for a HD only package. Most of the channels I watch now are HD anyway. Don't even watch sports unless in HD. Just give me the 40 VOOM HD channels for my monthly fee and to heck with the SD stuff. Seems like a service like that could be sold by *E or even added to a cable company's offerings.

I agree with the argument that the majority of the country cares nothing about how many lines make up the picture on their screen or whether it's interlaced or progressive.
However, I think the real reason Voom failed is because of penetration into electronic retailers. When someone walks into Best Buy or Circuit City to buy an HD the sales person automatically upsells and says hey, did you know that when you go home you won't see anything in High Definition UNLESS you get one of these beautiful DirecTV HD receivers.....Done.
Then they get home and see a Voom commercial and feel sick because their stuck in a contract with DirecTV or Dish for a year. Sears and Brandsmart just don't cut it. A promotion to buy people out of their exsisting satellite contract would have been a great idea. But here we are counting the days... :no

The whole mess relates to supply and demand! If the HDtv sets were and are cheaper more and more people would have asked to have HD programming by Voom.

Did the Fat Lady sing?
Dolan knows the potential for HDTV. No one on earth could have shown a profit with a HDTV Sat Service in a year and a half. It took years to show a profit for SD sat service.Just look at Directv and Dishnetworks early years. Look at XM and Sirius.
it is very important for Dolan to find investors with some balls. This venture will show very high gains in five years. Chuck knows this!

From what I see, it's not The End just yet...

dnyce said:
I agree with the argument that the majority of the country cares nothing about how many lines make up the picture on their screen or whether it's interlaced or progressive.
Undoubtedly right...presently. But I think HDTV sales this year will really spur more interest.
dnyce said:
However, I think the real reason Voom failed is because of penetration into electronic retailers. When someone walks into Best Buy or Circuit City to buy an HD the sales person automatically upsells and says hey, did you know that when you go home you won't see anything in High Definition UNLESS you get one of these beautiful DirecTV HD receivers.....Done.
Then they get home and see a Voom commercial and feel sick because their stuck in a contract with DirecTV or Dish for a year. Sears and Brandsmart just don't cut it.
Hang on, dynce!! Apparently VOOM is not past tense, as I hear they are still broadcasting today! :D I'm planning to jump back aboard ship, and go down with it if it happens, but it isn't over until it's over! :)
However, I definitely agree with you about the marketing penetration, especially the upsell aspect at Circuit City and Best Buy, which would have been terrific! When I bought my HDTV at Sears in November of 2003, there was no effort to upsell me on anything. Admittedly VOOM was brand new then, but I had to do the asking about all 3 satellite systems. They just wanted to ring up the TV and be done with it!!
dnyce said:
A promotion to buy people out of their exsisting satellite contract would have been a great idea. But here we are counting the days... :no
Now, that is an idea I've not heard bandied about...but it strikes me as pretty clever! Admittedly, I don't know much about this stuff, but it sounds like a plan to me! Anyway, don't count the days just yet...cuz we still don't know where a count would begin!

Keep the faith, and pass the medication....Vicki :yes

r.jones1116 said:
Did the Fat Lady sing?
Dolan knows the potential for HDTV. No one on earth could have shown a profit with a HDTV Sat Service in a year and a half. It took years to show a profit for SD sat service.Just look at Directv and Dishnetworks early years.

DirecTV, early years?? They are still in the red...

LOS ANGELES, Jan 27, 2005 (AP Online via COMTEX) -- The DirecTV Group Inc. reported a $283 million loss for the fourth quarter on Thursday as the operator of the nation's biggest satellite TV service added a record number of subscribers at a higher cost. ...

A quick not, in case you all care, I have contacts way high up in Echostar. Voom is dead, believe me or not, its over. I myself was filling out paperwork to be a Voom dealer. They are done. Trust me.
MW

mikeywilk said:
A quick not, in case you all care, I have contacts way high up in Echostar. Voom is dead, believe me or not, its over. I myself was filling out paperwork to be a Voom dealer. They are done. Trust me.
MW
Welcome to the forum, mikeywilk!
Even though you and your contacts might be right about that (though how can they possibly know what's going on behind the closed doors of Cablevision's board room), you posted this in a wrong thread. I am moving it to one of the "VOOM is dead" threads. Hope, you don't mind. ;)

mikeywilk said:
MW
Echostar.. not for nothing but they would not know HD if it hit them in the head.. God D* has better HD then them... :eek:

patrickpiteo said:
Echostar.. not for nothing but they would not know HD if it hit them in the head.. God D* has better HD then them... :eek:

Prove it.
Does E* down-convert 1920 x 1080i to 1280 x 1080i ,no, but D* does.
The only other channel D* has that E* does not is Universal-HD, but E* has TNT-HD, so thats a wash.
The network channels ,I believe, shound not count since most cannot get them and because of them the bitrates for certain channels ( HBO, Showtime, HDNet-Movies) are all under ten.

mikeywilk said:
MW

Give us a hint. Why should anyone trust you on this? I certainly don't without positive proof and a statement of your confirmed source. And it better be from the boardroom.

gutter said:
Give us a hint. Why should anyone trust you on this? I certainly don't without positive proof and a statement of your confirmed source. And it better be from the boardroom.
Oh take his word he PM'ed me so I would.. LOL. Hey whatever happens happens, but you get tired of the 1st post and they know it all.. :yes

bruce said:
Prove it.
Does E* down-convert 1920 x 1080i to 1280 x 1080i ,no, but D* does.
The only other channel D* has that E* does not is Universal-HD, but E* has TNT-HD, so thats a wash.
The network channels ,I believe, shound not count since most cannot get them and because of them the bitrates for certain channels ( HBO, Showtime, HDNet-Movies) are all under ten.
Hey nobody ever said D* was knocking them dead.. The only one that had was VOOM..sad isn't it.. :no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts