The End of VOOM?

bruce said:
Now, now, now, I was going to be good, don't start.
And I only have one piece of advice, if they have your Credit Card number, get out now, if you ever tried to get back money from a company that went down, it is a pain in the ***.
No the deal isnt done yet Bruce.

There is a tremendous difference here. This is NOT a bankruptcy. CVC just decided to sell the assets off. It's an entirely different legal scenario. I want my money back for my boxes.

Mongo9000 said:
"I just called a CSR to give them a new phone number. Then I told the girl about the E* deal. She had no clue. Give it a try its amusing."

Nice guy.

Maybe you should try calling ex-Enron employees and ask them about their 401K, just for laffs of course.
I was very nice to her (she sounded hot)

Re: End of Voom?

Is it possible that they just sold off some equipment to generate some operating funds and plan to move forward with the new sats?

I feel just the same when UltimateTV was put to rest. Was a great product that just wasn't marketed correctly and could have been a real force in the market. Now when VOOM looks to have their act together they are now gone, too. Can't see going back to DISH, but loved VOOM and was hoping somehow they could go on and make it. Guess I always pull for the underdog, which sometimes offer the best service or product, or at least try to. Have DirecTV and DirecTV HD (e-86 receiver), and had VOOM. Have three DirecTV Tivos (two 240 hour units), but not the HD one. Now they may not be around in a year or two. Enjoyed VOOM, but now I guess I will just stay with DirecTV and maybe in a few years be back to my present VOOMER day. Really feel I have lost a good friend!

madpoet said:
There is a tremendous difference here. This is NOT a bankruptcy. CVC just decided to sell the assets off. It's an entirely different legal scenario. I want my money back for my boxes.
Honestly isnt Dish going to need mpeg4 eventually. Maybe they would want those boxes as well as the DVR?

Westbender said:
Is it possible that they just sold off some equipment to generate some operating funds and plan to move forward with the new sats?

They have to build a new uplink center since that got sold, investors would string them up and their best option is the MVDSS Spectrum ( which I have not heard crap about in a while )

If voom goes away, could the boxes still be used for OTA only reception? I called a csr and asked that, and they said "yes", but I wasn't sure if she understood the question.

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

klen said:
If voom goes away, could the boxes still be used for OTA only reception? I called a csr and asked that, and they said "yes", but I wasn't sure if she understood the question.

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

Yes you can

Pull the sat feed off of the back and try it. I for one like the performance of the OTA receiver. If they don't want it back, I'll use it for the locals.

It will ONLY keep functioning that way if they do not send a kill signal to the cards. So if we get definitive word on when it will be shut down, I would suggest pulling the cable from the dish before it happens.

bruce said:
They have to build a new uplink center since that got sold, investors would string them up and their best option is the MVDSS Spectrum ( which I have not heard crap about in a while )

Aren't they finishing a brand new uplink center? If that's the case, they must have two of them. Which one was purchased by Dish?

But it doesn't make sense for them to just sell the 1st set and switch to a second. The whole point of the sale was because they're losing money. If tehy continued on a new sat and uplink center, they'd just continue to lose money.

Westbender said:
Aren't they finishing a brand new uplink center? If that's the case, they must have two of them. Which one was purchased by Dish?

The new one.

I was thinking it's just a way to buy some time and get the rest of the board off his back and hope subscriber rate increases. Pipe dream, I know. But I don't want to lose my VOOM. I'm trying to stay optimistic.

Dammit I just got it installed yesterday . Ohh well watch and enjoy HD til it dies and then plug the holes in my walls .

,,..............................NM2046

I am almost certain of the answer, but i figured that I would open it up to the forum...

Voom does have some channels the E* does not (both HD and SD) will those contracts carry over, or is it strictly the SAT, UPLINK and TDs.

Other VOOM assets:

1. Ka satellite locations (not to mention the contract to build them)
2. Ku-FSS satellite lease (Echostar has a lot of deals with SES maybe they could use this one)
3. VOOM 21 channels... Maybe they could sell content to cable or DBS
4. Customers, but such a small number that E/D probably would not notice them

Its a sad sad day, hopefully this doesnt get approved and and buys charles and the other members of the family time to buy into the voom svc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts