The Mystery Of The Disappearing NHK World Channel

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A 1.2m dish would probably not provide enough gain to support an offset C-band LNBF unless the signal is a total scorcher.

Remember that the reflected satellite signal is mirror opposite. If the desired satellite is to the East, the LNBF is mounted on the West side. If the elevation is higher, the LNBF is mounted lower.

I didn't know this and now I understand why I could never get a second LNB to work right on my dishes! Thanks for posting this, Titanium!

@jorgek, thank you for helping me! :) I ended up buying the Chieta WSD-2041 from Amazon late last night for $15. The other website was sold out of the Amiko 4 port switch. I couldn't find a plastic weather cover for it, so hopefully it will be ok being exposed to the elements. I will mount it sideways to keep the water from getting into it. I should have the new switch by late this coming week. It's brand new in the packaging still. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The switch covers are for protecting the connections, not the switch. Use good quality compression type connectors with a dab of dielectric silicon in the fitting, for drip loops and the connectors will be trouble free for years.

@Titanium, I am definitely using the Ideal brand of compression connectors, I will see if Lowes has the dielectric silicone. Any chance your site sells another C-Band LNB bracket Brian? Mine broke in half while experimenting a few weeks ago. :-(

We do have some extra 65mm clamps and would be happy to send you one. I noticed your modification of the bracket with side holes. Try using a heated nail or operate the drill in reverse to avoid cracking nylon.

I would also recommend the metal bracket that are an option for your dish. :)

@Titanium, sorry for the confusion Brian. :) the 65mm clamp I used for the 1st C-Band project is holding and doing quite well, that one isn't broken. The 65mm plastic clamp I broke a couple weeks ago, was from adding a second C-Band LNB to the dish. I had a bolt and washer mounted through the front hole as normal, no side holes were drilled into this one. I was getting over heated and frustrated, so I was trying to take the front bolt off to figure out another way, and that's when it broke. :-( If you have a metal one exactly like it, that would be cool! Lol! How much do you want for a replacement clamp? How would I order one, do you still have my address? Let me know.

Here's a connector with a built in rubber boot to keep out moisture by
PPC EX6LWS Plus AquaTight Compression Connector for RG6.

product_thumb.php

For long term sealing you can wrap with coax seal. Another option is to use heat shrink tubing.

But if you are like me who is constantly tinkering then stay away from the long term fixes.

The silicone goop is ideal but make sure its the lube rather than the caulking.

Attachments

• coax seal.gif
    coax seal.gif
    80.4 KB · Views: 101
Update: My HEAVY DUTY WSD-2041 CHIETA DISEqC MULTI-SWITCH 4X1 arrived on September 20th or 21st, early enough for me to install it on my satellite farm along with some new cable. This switch has the lowest loss I have seen so far 1.5db, which makes a big difference between getting more channels or not in a blind scan or other search. I applied dielectric compound around all the connections and connectors where water could enter. The switch is working very well to this day and it automatically tells the receiver as to which satellite dish goes to a particular port. I noticed that it does this better than the cheaper switch did before. After I got the new switch installed and secured on my motorized dish, I considered experimenting again with my large 1.2M C-Band dish, but I didn't feel motivated enough with everything else I had to do around the house. I felt motivated enough for experimenting this past Friday, but I didn't get home until pretty late and the clouds moved in by that time; so maybe later on. Anyway, I am enjoying NHK World once again and continuing on with my secret crush with Catherine with NHK World News. :) ?

Me too! :) I'm currently working working on my C-Band experiment today as I have mostly clear skies. It's not going well unfortunately. I had the 87W Ku signal locked in so I knew where that signal is. I swapped out the Ku LNB for the Titanium LNB and entered in every TP I could find off the net. The best I can do on one TP is 10% Signal Quality no matter what I try to tweak it. I think the dish support bar is blocking the signal as it runs almost in front of the LNB, and there may not be quite enough dish left to bring in the signal all too well. I was trying to get 87W C-Band because that's the next satellite I could locate while having enough space for 2 C-Band LNB'S on one dish. It's not looking like it's going to work for me, as I'm not going to move the whole dish for that. Looks like I will go back to putting back on the 87W Ku LNB and using it as a backup, in case something happens to the motorized dish this winter. You don't know if something will work until you try it out. My wife will be very happy once I stop tweaking with stuff up on the roof. :)

Attachments

• 1411843404015.jpg
    1411843404015.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 107
Status
Please reply by conversation.