The "new" iPad Announcement / Discussion Thread

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Now I'm gonna start calling the next iPhone, the iPhone 2012!

My status still shows EDD of 3/14-16 for the accessories, which arrived today via FedEx. The "big boy" still says delivery ON March 16 via standard shipping. IIRC, when I ordered it said UPS for the iPad. Can't see any carrier now.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Better not be. FRIDAY better be the highlight of my wife's week, and therefore, my week!

Yeah, all this excitement for an iPad that isn't even yours. :)

I am fully expecting to get yelled at that WHY did YOU get a new iPad, why didn't I get a new one? Of course, hers is only 16GB WiFi and has what, $200 of resale value? Sorry, can't help you there! ;)

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Gizmodo running a story confirming that the new iPad has 1GB of ram and 1Ghz processor:

The New iPad's 1GB of RAM and 1GHz Processor Confirmed

Interestingly enough, if this was an ANDROID tablet, the first question would be how much ram and how fast is it. With an iOS device no one even pauses to ask the question, since the software so tightly integrated with the hardware, there is little question of even the possibility of lag, and apple does not have to make up for software inefficiencies by throwing brute force at it. Witness the 512MB of ram in the iPhone 4S and how smooth it runs.

The comments to this page were interesting because they talked about how on an Android tablet, geek bench would run circles around the iPad's scores; but of course, it points out to the irrelevance of these types of tests. And some of the comments are complaining that Apple has lost its vision with Jobs gone, they are putting out under-powered hardware. Just funny to read. My gut says when we have this retina-display in our hands, jaws are going to drop, and no one is going to be thinking a bit about how much ram or benchmark scores.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
With an iOS device no one even pauses to ask the question, since the software so tightly integrated with the hardware, there is little question of even the possibility of lag, and apple does not have to make up for software inefficiencies by throwing brute force at it.

While I normally don't concern myself with that issue, I must differ with you that it isn't even a concern. Here's a good example of why-

Using an ipad1 I have been in a year long process of finding apps to obsolete what I do on my Dell laptop so I can take extended trips and leave the laptop at home. It's not just the size of the laptop to tote along compared to an ipad but laptop owners are also harassed more by TSA agents and regulations than a person with an ipad or any tablet for that matter. Many of the apps are and continue to be limited in speed and function.
This past week I have been in search of a decent spreadsheet app for ipad that is compatible with xls files I have on my computer. The app needs to have some basic functions, graphs and editing and numbers formatting. It needs to have an easy way to import and export the spreadsheet file by IP. There are several apps that claim to do this. But the best one for editing seems to be only for iphone screen and the 2X is fuzzy. I tried others but some are greatly limited to just a few rows and columns, don't allow import, or specialized for specific tasks, like checkbook. None are outrageously expensive but buying a half dozen to test and discard can get expensive. But what about speed? The iphone app has great speed for my ipad1 but the resolution of the cells is so fuzzy it is hard to read. The other one I found that competes is designed for the ipad BUT, it is so slow, all I get is a little circle clock ticking away as the spreadsheet moves to a new cell. In addition, it make editing very awkward with special entry box for each cell. I can get my spreadsheets loaded, I can edit them, but the process is extremely slow. So, yes, I do have concern about the "new" ipad3 and whether it's new A5X processor will navigate the ipad app for spreadsheets with the speed of an 80286 computer and display it with adequate resolution so I don't confuse the number 3 with a 5 or 8 in the cell. ipad3 is not just about pretty pictures for me. It IS about the hardware under the covers.

Last edited:

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
While I normally don't concern myself with that issue, I must differ with you that it isn't even a concern. Here's a good example of why-

Using an ipad1 I have been in a year long process of finding apps to obsolete what I do on my Dell laptop so I can take extended trips and leave the laptop at home. It's not just the size of the laptop to tote along compared to an ipad but laptop owners are also harassed more by TSA agents and regulations than a person with an ipad or any tablet for that matter. Many of the apps are and continue to be limited in speed and function.
This past week I have been in search of a decent spreadsheet app for ipad that is compatible with xls files I have on my computer. The app needs to have some basic functions, graphs and editing and numbers formatting. It needs to have an easy way to import and export the spreadsheet file by IP. There are several apps that claim to do this. But the best one for editing seems to be only for iphone screen and the 2X is fuzzy. I tried others but some are greatly limited to just a few rows and columns, don't allow import, or specialized for specific tasks, like checkbook. None are outrageously expensive but buying a half dozen to test and discard can get expensive. But what about speed? The iphone app has great speed for my ipad1 but the resolution of the cells is so fuzzy it is hard to read. The other one I found that competes is designed for the ipad BUT, it is so slow, all I get is a little circle clock ticking away as the spreadsheet moves to a new cell. In addition, it make editing very awkward with special entry box for each cell. I can get my spreadsheets loaded, I can edit them, but the process is extremely slow. So, yes, I do have concern about the "new" ipad3 and whether it's new A5X processor will navigate the ipad app for spreadsheets with the speed of an 80286 computer and display it with adequate resolution so I don't confuse the number 3 with a 5 or 8 in the cell. ipad3 is not just about pretty pictures for me. It IS about the hardware under the covers.

I don't disagree - the iPad 1 definitely lags, but the iPad has never once hiccuped on anything I have used on it. And I'd argue that Apple has done a great job integrating hardware with software. My gut says the 1GB of ram is to provide more ability for programs to take advantage of that screen, and it makes sense to upgrade to 1GB for that purpose.

As far as an iPhone app on the iPad, 2X ALWAYS looks fuzzy -- but I would not be making iPad judgments based on how it runs iPhone-optimized apps. I'm curious how those apps look on the iPad 2012 (just for Navychop :) ) .

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I don't think the iphone 2X will be much improved in clarity on ipad3. But maybe the ipad designed spreadsheet will indeed update many times faster than what it does on my ipad1. Last week I was at Best Buy and there was no one around tested the ipad2 speed and it did run considerably faster than my ipad1 which was encouraging. While I believe the added processor speed is responsible for the improvement I saw, I think the ipad3's screen, processor will make the clarity of the ipad designed app even better, BUT the ram size, I think, is more related to how well it multitasks.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I don't think the iphone 2X will be much improved in clarity on ipad3. But maybe the ipad designed spreadsheet will indeed update many times faster than what it does on my ipad1. Last week I was at Best Buy and there was no one around tested the ipad2 speed and it did run considerably faster than my ipad1 which was encouraging. While I believe the added processor speed is responsible for the improvement I saw, I think the ipad3's screen, processor will make the clarity of the ipad designed app even better, BUT the ram size, I think, is more related to how well it multitasks.

I'd guess a combo of both. I would suspect you'll feel like you have just switched from a Camry to a Corvette when you go from iPad 1 to 3. My only experience is with 2, and it has been such a smooth ride.

I guess we can hope for better iPhone apps in iPad, but there are so few iPhone-only apps that I even deal with these days, its almost become moot. Much more so than a year ago. Oh, there are a few, like Tumblr that I wish would come out with iPad apps. But for the most part, 90%+ of the apps I run are iPad-native.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Well, let me know if you run across a spreadsheet app that works really well. I think Microsoft is missing the boat here. They should forget about competing with iOS and just make Office suite for the ipad! After all Apple has now officially stated ipad is not just for consumption anymore.

BTW- New Logmein app on the ipad has a new, very cleaver solution to the mouse compatibility problem with running windows desktop on ipad. Instead of just an arrow pointer, you get that plus a graphic of a mouse with right and left buttons. It is so intuitive now to just operate windows on your ipad. If the pointing gets too small, you can get in the general area then use the squeeze - zoom and expand that area for more precision.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I rarely use spreadsheets on the iPad; but when I do, I either use Quick Office HD or Numbers. But I don't do any real work with either. And I can also view spreadsheets in either Dropbox or the DevonThink App.

jrp

SatelliteGuys Master
Aug 24, 2007
Iowa
Things are looking grim ;). FedEx status hasn't changed expected delivery time (still today), but it also hasn't changed location (Nashville). Didn't really expect it to, but it was fun thinking about it.

pro96

You Member, Member ?
Supporting Founder
Jul 18, 2005
OC
Cant wait for mine (2) 16GBs this Friday as Ive have one of them already spoken for at 850$ from a close and rich friend haha. He simply told me that he dont want to wait in long lines. I aint mad at him :D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
jrp said:
Things are looking grim ;). FedEx status hasn't changed expected delivery time (still today), but it also hasn't changed location (Nashville). Didn't really expect it to, but it was fun thinking about it.

Yup, grim. :). Grim would be if it still says Nashville on Friday morning.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Computer Controlled Satellite Positioner / DVR

Windows 7 boot up issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)